diabetes test

kelz86

mum of 1 and 1 on way
Reaction score
I had a v rare lay in after being woke up twice early hrs of morning by toddler so i only managed to eat 20 jelly babys an hr b4 my test instead of the 2hrs will i fail it now and do i mention it to the person doing the test or just go ahead and hope i pass ?

My doc asks for patients to come in while fasting so they can get a fasting level as well

Hmm my midwife said to eat breakfast (eggs and a piece of toast with a glass of water) an hour or so before drinking the sugar drink and then an hour after I drink it they will draw blood. That's new to me.. I've always had to fast before drinking it.

There is a definitely a chance you can still pass. I had to do a more yucky 2 hour test with fasting/1hr/2 hr levels checked (at 16 weeks). My 1 hr was the highest number but would still have been under the 2 hr limit. My 2 hr number was practically like the fasting value. I think what will probably happen if you don't say anything is you will end up with ambiguous borderline results and they will want to you do another kind of test. It seems like every doctor has a different system.

I'm a bit confused... Were the jelly babies supposed to be your sugar load? In that case I think it might be best to mention it. They might just keep you there for an extra hour to do the test right. Otherwise, it might not be accurate and you could end up second-guessing the results no matter if it's positive or negative.

That said, it sounds a bit strange. Usually you need to fast for 8-10 hours beforehand and then they need a fasting blood draw as well as the ones after the sugar load. There are 2 different protocols, both valid. The 2-step one involves a simple screening done first, where they give 50 gr of glucose and get fasting and 1-hour levels. If you fail that, they make you take the 3-hour test, where they give you 100 gr of glucose and get fasting and 1-hour, 2-hour and 3-hour levels. The 3-hour test makes the final diagnosis. The alternative 1-step method is to give 75 gr of glucose and get fasting and 1-hour and 2-hour levels. I can't decide which one they're having you do kelz86, because they all require fasting levels as well. Although some practices do go for some simplified methods other than the ones usually recommended... In any case, mixing up the post-glucose times or having eaten before the fasting levels can mix up your test results. So, yeah, long story short, it would probably be best to let them know.

I'd let the doc know to make sure you're still on track for the type of test they plan to do.

My office allows you to eat breakfast, but it can't be sugary or carb loaded... It must be protein based. Ex: eggs, veggies, fish, meat, etc.... No bread, rice, pasta, fruit, etc.

I'm a bit confused... Were the jelly babies supposed to be your sugar load? In that case I think it might be best to mention it. They might just keep you there for an extra hour to do the test right. Otherwise, it might not be accurate and you could end up second-guessing the results no matter if it's positive or negative.

That said, it sounds a bit strange. Usually you need to fast for 8-10 hours beforehand and then they need a fasting blood draw as well as the ones after the sugar load. There are 2 different protocols, both valid. The 2-step one involves a simple screening done first, where they give 50 gr of glucose and get fasting and 1-hour levels. If you fail that, they make you take the 3-hour test, where they give you 100 gr of glucose and get fasting and 1-hour, 2-hour and 3-hour levels. The 3-hour test makes the final diagnosis. The alternative 1-step method is to give 75 gr of glucose and get fasting and 1-hour and 2-hour levels. I can't decide which one they're having you do kelz86, because they all require fasting levels as well. Although some practices do go for some simplified methods other than the ones usually recommended... In any case, mixing up the post-glucose times or having eaten before the fasting levels can mix up your test results. So, yeah, long story short, it would probably be best to let them know.

This has confused me also. Far as I'm aware here in the UK we have fasting bloods, followed by the 2hr test all in the same day. Pretty sure the 1hr tests aren't used for testing for GD here.

so i failed which i thought i would i did tell person who drew blood but they siad it would be okay turns out i was ment to fast from night b4 then eat 20 jelly babys 2hrs b4 the test nothing else apart from water i was never told this all that was wrote on my notes was eat 20 jelly babys 2hrs b4 test this is first time ive had one done b4 so its now been rebooked and drinking 440ml of lucazade instead of jelly babys as they were yuk lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->