Diagnosed with Strep B what are the procedures during labour and birth?

trying_4_no.3

mum of 3 beautiful girls
Reaction score
Hey girls, so I posted a thread on this a little while ago but didnt really get the answers I was looking for basically I am a carrier of group B strep and have had two poorly babies(one a miracle she is alive) because of this condition so this time round they know I have it and will be doing the "necessary procedures" during labour to try and advoid the baby being born ill but im just wondering if anyone has had this condition and has been through labour and birth and if you could tell me what the "necessary procedures" are as ive heard so many different stories and how your baby was once he/she was born

This is something that is very worrying to me and all replys will be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Im not sure if im much help, but I know that as soon as labour begins they put you on intravenous antibiotics. Not sure what else happens. But good luck, and at least they know you have it, so can make sure baby is ok. xx

It's really only the antibiotics - they give them at least 4 hours before birth (not sure how they work that one out) This is a good site with lots of info https://www.gbss.org.uk/

heya, i'm a carrier too. i've got to ring hosp pretty much as soon as i realise i'm in labour and/or my waters break. from when i get in hosp i'll be on IV antibiotics, which will take bout 20/30mins. then again, 4 hours later. they try to get two doses into you before baby's born. if thats not possible then a paediatrician will come see baby and see if baby needs antibiotics. given your past history then baby might be given them straight away anyway, i dunno xx

Im also a strep b carrier hun...i got given anti biotics every few hours...you are tested for this by a swab being taken xx

How do they test for this?

they can do swabs for it, but its not a routine thing. i found out when i did a wee sample. it might be routine to test where you are, if you ask your mw they'll tell you

Ive spoken to midwife and she doesnt know anything about it, I have done alot of reseach on it so im not completely clueless but nothing I have ead has covered my situation. I have to go and see a consultant on the 1st of december to discuss my options but its a long wait and in the meantime I cant stop worrying! My last labour was only 4 hours long and ive heard the antibiotics have to be given 4 hours before the baby is born if I have a shorter labour this time then this will be impossible to get the antibiotics four hours before the birth if im left to go into labour spontaneously, what I really wanted to get out of this thread was to hear from people that have been through the same sort of thing so that I can hear from them how it was dealt with and if bubbas were born healthy as a first hand experience....thank you all for your reply none the less.

I have it. I was put on an IV as soon as I was moved into the birthing room. You need to be on it for at least 4 hours, so go in as soon as you think you are in labour and they will tell you if you have progressed enough for them to give it to you. If your waters break, go in right away. My waters were trickling and I did not notice. They checked the baby at least every 4 hours for 24 hours to make sure she was ok. I had to stay in the hospital for an extra day while they kept an eye on her to make sure she did not get sick. Then they sent me home with a paper telling me to watch her for the next week and to call 911 if she had any of the symptoms.

I think that if you are likely to have a quick labour they may start you on some antibiotics around your due date if you like. The thing is the bacteria comes back so quickly, that is why they wait until you are in labour.

Thank you! Yea I think they might think about inducing me as not only am I likely to have a quick labour but im likely to go into labour at 38 weeks as I did with both my daughters so im thinking the only way for them to be sure that I get the antibiotics 4 hours before the birth is to have a planned day for induction around 37/38 weeks to be sure I get the antibiotics at least 4 ours before I give birth, I guess the only way for me to know for sure is to wait for my consultant appoitment as my situation is very unique and seems to be a bit of a tricky one hence the reason I am so worried, Thank you anyway x x

i've heard that having a section can lower the risks of infection in the baby, basically cos they literally open you up and take bubba out rather than going thru the whole birthing process. maybe you could ask your consultant about that?? they'll know the best way to deal with it tho x

Im terrified at the thought of a C section nothing could scare me more I mean obviously I would be prepared to have one if I was told it would be the best for my bubba but Ive been advised that they dont actually advoid the problem especially as Shanai was already affected by the strep B before she even came through the birth canal, thanks again though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->