dialated ureters pyelectasis plus artery vein on umbilical cord

babylov5

Reaction score
I posted back when I was 18 1/2 weeks anatomy ultrasound. They told me that my baby had borderline dialated ureters. Well I haven't stressed over it too much because the doctor acted like it wasn't a big deal. He told me it was a good ultrasound that they just reviewed on. He said it would usually correct over 30 weeks or sometimes after the baby born. He did mention it was a marker for down syndrome but since I had got a negative on the early screening he wasn't worried about that at all. Well Yesterday they had me come back and I was 28 weeks and 3 days. I had a different doctor that really scared me. She told me she didn't know why they had me come back before 30 weeks so she made me another apt which will be in 3 weeks. I will be 31 weeks and 3 days. My baby girl's ureters were still dilated. One was 8 and the other was 9. She said by 30 weeks they like to see under 7. She told me it could be nothing but it could be a marker for downs syndrome. She hadn't even looked at my chart. She then asked if I had the screening done. The tech was like yes she had it done and it came back negative. She said that it might not be downs syndrome then. Now I am really worried that since its a marker for downs that my little girl might have downs. The tech said he didn't see the dilation going away by 31 weeks either. They also found something on the umbilical cord that she said was like a varicose vein. She said that is something that has to be kept a look on to make sure blood is flowing right. They said my baby was doing well and weighed 3 pounds. The dr called the dilated ureters pyelectasis. When I left the tech said to me please don't let all this worry you, I see pyelectasis almost everyday. I know I had a negative test for the screening but Im scared maybe it was wrong. Has anyone else had these problems. Im so worried.

Hi,

I understand your worry, I had this with my first daughter. One of her kidneys was so swollen that it died and had disappeared by the time she was born.

She has had lots of issues but is a happy, healthy 5 year old now.

Kidney problems are a marker for downs but they are a marker for many other conditions too, my daughter has VACTERL. Children with downs or VACTERL usually have other markers too though, the main one being heart defects, I would ask if this has been checked on your next scan.

I hope this doesn't scare you but I wish I had known and asked these questions when I was pregnant with my daughter as I was told it's really common and nothing to worry about, when in fact she had a number of problems that could and should have been picked up on scans.

Please pm me if you would like any more info xx

Hi,

I understand your worry, I had this with my first daughter. One of her kidneys was so swollen that it died and had disappeared by the time she was born.

She has had lots of issues but is a happy, healthy 5 year old now.

Kidney problems are a marker for downs but they are a marker for many other conditions too, my daughter has VACTERL. Children with downs or VACTERL usually have other markers too though, the main one being heart defects, I would ask if this has been checked on your next scan.

I hope this doesn't scare you but I wish I had known and asked these questions when I was pregnant with my daughter as I was told it's really common and nothing to worry about, when in fact she had a number of problems that could and should have been picked up on scans.

Please pm me if you would like any more info xx

I am glad your daughter is ok now. It is very scary. I go to a high risk doctor to have all my scans because I had a baby die 10 years ago with Potters which is no kidneys. They told me my daughters kidneys are fine but her ureters are swollen. They said that this had nothing to do with Potter Syndrome but the back up in the fluid could cause kidneys problems in the future. They call hers mild. They did check her heart too at my anatomy ultrasound. I also had a 12 week screening for downs and trisomy which came back great. So they didn't check your baby's heart? I have never heard of Vacterl. Did you go to a high risk doctor or was it your obgyn dr? I am so sorry but I am glad she is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->