Did anyone see Panarama I Want My Baby Back?

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
One of my friends is studying to be a s social worker and mentioned it on FB last night, so just watched it on tv.

Oh my god, it's scary how some of these parents seem innocent and have had their kids taken off them. Makes you worry if your kids hurt themselves.

Anyone see the show?

Yes one of the saddest things I have ever seen, I balled my eyes out, my heart just broke for those poor people, just to think your baby could be taken and you would never see them again, I want to cry now even thinkin about it.

I T goes without saying these things have to be investigated but how harsh and so cruel that their babies be taken and adopted out. I know it's a very sensitive subject but for innocent parents to lose their kids forever shows it could happen to any of us and that's a very scary thought!!!

How sad was it watching that little boy have his last visit with his parents as he was being adopted, how they manage to get up every morning and get on with life I don't know!!!

I went into both my babies after it and just cuddled them so hard. Xx

I know...I cried at that too, so so sad knowing they won't see him again :-(

I really feel for innocent parent in these cases.

I started watching it but it got so sad that I had to stop. The thought of innocent parents losing their children sends shivers through me

I didn't see it but remember it is one side of the story. I work for the nhs and some of the stories published are misinformation to get a news story/ tv show. The professional body can't respond due to data protection.

I have not seen it, is it on demand?

bbc i player :thumbup:

I watched it. Kept it together until the parents were saying goodbye to their son for the very last time and they were saying that's it until he's 18. Then the grandparents said it'll be their very very last time as they won't be alive when he's 18. Yeah, I sobbed!

I tried to keep it mind though that not ALL parents are innocent and that social workers get a bad enough rap as it is without programmes like this making it a million times worse. But what's the truth? Who knows. But I sobbed for those poor families.

I couldn't watch it. I was there when my nieces and nephews were adopted. I was only 11 or so at the time (my sister was in prison, she was not a good mother) and it completely broke my heart knowing it was the last time I'd see them. It still kills me now though I completely agree that they were better off away from my sister.

I couldn't imagine being the parent where you lose your child and know you have done nothing wrong. I'm not sure how I could carry on.

I didn't see it but remember it is one side of the story. I work for the nhs and some of the stories published are misinformation to get a news story/ tv show. The professional body can't respond due to data protection.

I didn't see it either, I know it must've been hard to watch and heart breaking for the parents, but I would also be inclined to believe there would be a side to the story that we won't hear about:shrug:

I couldn't watch it. I was there when my nieces and nephews were adopted. I was only 11 or so at the time (my sister was in prison, she was not a good mother) and it completely broke my heart knowing it was the last time I'd see them. It still kills me now though I completely agree that they were better off away from my sister.

I couldn't imagine being the parent where you lose your child and know you have done nothing wrong. I'm not sure how I could carry on.

Oh no :cry: how awful for you honey.

Even though it was for the best, I can understand it hurt you.

Completely agree. It's all secret so it's hard to get the full picture. Some of these kids had vitamin D deficiency which could have explained the fractures though :shrug:

I'm sure not all child abusers look the same, fit a standard profile- lots will be great at covering things up and lying. Must be a tough job.

I watched it and very much felt that you were not getting the full picture of the individual situations. For instance the parents of the woman who had gone to Spain with get child who said they could not have their first grandchild because they refused to say that their daughter could have harmed the baby - it just felt like there was more to that story and as a previous poster has said it's not like children's services can chip in and say 'no we wouldn't place the baby with her grandparents because of x, y or z'.

I am a social worker. I have not seen this program myself but have heard a lot of my colleagues talking about how ridiculous it is.

Innocent parents do not have their children taken off them and adopted. Very rarely, children are removed to ensure they are safe whilst allegations are being investigated and whilst the parents are working on getting themselves together, ensuring their situation is appropriate for a child etc.

When children are removed, unless it is on a voluntary basis (where the parent agrees to the child being removed), it goes through Court. This ensures it is done lawfully and that all aspects of the case have been considered and assessed.
I have never removed a child from an innocent parent, but I have removed them from unfit parents, neglectful parents, abusive parents etc.

It was heartbreaking. I held it together until they had to say goodbye to their son who was being adopted.

I wish I hadn't watched it now, it was scary how these children where taken away when there could have been evidence of a deficiency and not abuse.

I am absolutely sure their cases are the minority and that there was more to story than was told, I do have faith in the system most of the time, but I don't think the system can be perfect all the time and I did feel that the couples on there were the ones to fall through the net and it was heartbreaking to see. My heart broke when that couple said goodbye to their son, the programme raised some important questions about the system and I really hope improvements can be made. I can't imagine how challenging social work is, I have the upmost respect for social workers, but we must give parents a voice too and we have to accept mistakes are made and learn from them. I don't know what the answer is but just as one abused child is too many, so is one wrongly removed child.

Ahh I can't watch anything like that, the thought terrifies me.
My mum has a friend who's baby died of SIDS, there was something wrong with the baby that they found at the autopsy (I can't remember now, I think his brain was enlarged). My mum's friend and his wife were accused of abuse and their other kids taken away for about three years until they finally proved they were innocent. The baby had had a condition that hadn't been previously diagnosed. It was a big case and they had a lot of people fighting for their innocence but the pain they must have gone through doesn't bear thinking.
I mean it was probably 20+ years ago now and I'm sure technology has improved enough to detect these things, but sadly mistakes can still happen in any profession. Just so scary :nope:

I haven't seen it as I couldn't bring myself to it sounds very depressing but I would hope that in the cases where they realise a mistake was made that children would be returned to their families, I agree with the others that it's a very much last resort thing for ss to do and not done without certainty. I did however read an article that said some children with undiagnosed conditions might be getting mistaken for abuse.

children are removed to ensure they are safe whilst allegations are being investigated and whilst the parents are working on getting themselves together, ensuring their situation is appropriate for a child etc.

I have a very good friend who had her 3 month old baby removed. The mother pointed out a rash/mark on her cheek to the HV at her weight in. HV took it to the DR who couldnt find a cause. As the LO was so young it wasnt caused by the baby so it was assumed one of the parents had done it. They had the baby removed at the hospital by SS/police.

Yes after 2 weeks of investigation the baby was released back into her care. Yes SS checked the situation and found nothing. That is the end you see as SS.

That two weeks destroyed her as a mother. The poor child wore mitts until she was 18 months old because the mother was petrified of her doing as much as scratching her face. She was never allowed out of her sight, never allowed to run or play in the park in case she fell and her herself. The mother no longer trusts Drs and worries about taking her in. She has been depressed and anxious since that day and has had two years of counselling. 5 years on those 2 weeks has changed a woman and childs life forever. For no reason at all.

Was it better to check for the good of the child. Im not sure, shes gone from maybe having a chance of a normal life to having a life of a very overprotective anxious mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->