• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did I over feed him?

LoveCakes

Reaction score
My lb is 5 days old and the past two feeds has spit up after. I burped him after each breast and he fell asleep on my chest guy when I put him down he was making gulping noises and spat up. My milk is fully in and my breasts are very, even uncomfortably, full.

I always thought you couldn't over feed a breastfed baby but am confused now.

I was told you can't overfeed a breastfed baby "because they'd spit up/poop out any extra"...ha!

My son spits up too...it could be normal, fast letdown, reflux, allergies, etc. Only time will tell

Emma often has a little spit-up, my others never did. I think it's pretty normal.

At 5days old his stomach hasn't got the ability to stretch yet, so if he takes on more milk than it can hold it will come back up. This is normal and is just how a young baby regulates their intake. At 7days old his stomach will start to be able to stretch to accommodate more milk, but if he takes too much he'll still spit up the excess.

Also all babies have weak muscles holding the stomach contents in (some weaker than others - reflux). When you lie a baby flat often it puts pressure on those muscles so a little comes back up. This is normal.

If a lot of milk comes back up and baby starts losing weight because of it then it starts to be a problem and holding a baby upright for 30minutes after a feed, tilting mattresses, using reflux medications all becomes possible treatments but I agree that until he's older its not possible to say.

Thanks ladies, he has seemed really uncomfortable lying flat since yesterday but was fine before this. It's just hard to see him like this, when I lift him I do is occasionally hear gagging noises, or maybe I just think I do. He hasn't pooped in 2 days so I'm hoping this helps.

He hasn't pooped in 2 days so I'm hoping this helps.

I'd keep an eye on that. A 5 day old really should poop everyday (at least twice if possible). There are babies who don't who are absolutely fine, but it is something that usually needs checking out just in case.

Midwife is out tomorrow so in going to raise it then.

My lg was ff but only pooped once a week for the first month or two and then it was explosive. I don't want to go back to that it was awful.

Take that back he just did a giant wet poop. Hope he's a bit more comfortable now!

Sometimes if you have a forceful let down LO can gulp down air too ... And milk on top of air = spewing . Or if they drink too much too quickly ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->