Did I ruin breastfeeding?

DJMooMoo79

Reaction score
Our little girl is two days old, and latched beautifully within the hour. The next morning though, I was exhausted and selfishly sent her to the nursery for a few hours of shut eye, in which she was given a bottle. Baby still latches great but I can tell she's getting frustrated that it's not coming as quick enough as the formula did, so hubby mentioned doing both. I'll feed her on the breast till she's agitated then move to a little formula then back to boob. Seemed to work great till just now when she didn't want anything to do with my breast and wolfed down an entire bottle of formula. Did I just ruin breast feeding?

I think she's too young to have decided yet. I'd ditch the bottle and go straight to bf'ing she will catch on! Mine ds was sent to the nicu the second day for five days and they gave him bottles and binkys!! When I brought him home I was pumping 24/7 thinking he'd only eat from a bottle then my oh encouraged me to try it again and don't u know he nursed fine and we've been ebf ever since!

i agree ditch the bottle and go with the boob get some skin to skin time that might help with wanting the boob too. GL you can do it.

If you truly want to breastfeed then stop all bottle and binky use till 4 weeks. Coming from a mom who dealt with horrible bottle preference(nipple confusion) if you cut it out till she really has a good relationship with breastfeeding and finds comfort in it, its won't beruined. But she may get to comfortable with the ease of bbottles. Unless you act now

Yup get rid of that bottle, it's normal for her to be fussy at the breast especially if your milk isn't in yet. It is also normal for her to feed for hours at a time. If you want to ebf let your dh know that you need his support rather than him pushing to give formula. He can help by bringing you food and drinks and holding baby in between feeds, changing diapers etc

If you want to ebf let your dh know that you need his support rather than him pushing to give formula. He can help by bringing you food and drinks and holding baby in between feeds, changing diapers etc

Agreed! DH was incredible that first month. I don't know if I could have done it without him. Even having him bring the baby to me once overnight so I didn't need to keep getting out of bed was a huge help. He'd burp the baby after one side so I could put some nipple cream on and get ready to feed on the other side. The little supportive things like that mad a world of a difference!

It's too early for it to be ruined. Just ditch the bottle and let her be frustrated until she gets used to it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->