Did you have a medicated birth and still Breastfeed?

Baby no 1 - induced due to being overdue, back to back, epidural ending in forcep delivery after failure to progress. Breastfed baby for 5 months.

Baby no 2 - induced due to obstetric cholestasis, back to back, pethadine injection less than an hour before delivery, forcep delivery due to baby's heart rate dropping. Baby ended up in neonatal for a few hours for observation. Did first breastfeed 3 hours after birth and still going strong 4 weeks later. Plan to do at least 6 months.

The short story: I was induced, had an epidural after 14 hours, baby went into distress, ended with EMCS, was given morphine (didn't find out till afterwards). Baby spent the night in neonatal ward.

Milk took 5 days to come in, baby was starving and didn't appear to be getting much (certainly wasn't satisfied) while in hospital, supplemented with formula until milk came in.

I ended up having a low supply (despite trying just about everything to increase) but we combi-fed and was able to keep up bf'ing for 8 months.

Now expecting #2... hoping for a natural birth to see if that helps, and have already found a lactation consultant to help in the first weeks in case supply appears to be low again.

My birth was unmedicated. I had latch issues early on. Despite doing immediate skin to skin and attempting BFing for an hour, she wouldn't eat. She didn't bf for several hours after birth. I've read this can create difficulties in BFing in the long run. It took me several days to get her to latch well. However, she's a month old now and I'm exclusively BFing her. She's doing great!

1st was a 50 hour induction with 4 rounds of cytotec (sp?) and then pitocin for like 21 hours, two shots of drugs in my IV followed by an epidural and vacuum. BF for 13.5 months when he self weaned.

2nd was 14 hours first contraction to birth, epidural for the last 3.5 hours. BF for 9 months and counting.

I totally believe in drugs making the experience better (as does my husband) and didn't have any effect on my BFing relationship with either child.

I was induced, had two epidurals that didn't work for long, then a spinal and a c section cause I wasn't progressing... So I was so drugged up. The moment they gave me my baby I asked if I could nurse her. She was a super eager baby and opened her mouth so nice and wide.

Had nearly no problems breastfeeding. My milk came in on day four. Lulu had only lost 7% of her weight. She was back at birthweight by one week. All the doctors and nurses I saw were amazed at how she was thriving on only breastmilk. Everything was and has been about as perfect as I could ever imagine.

I was induced at two weeks overdue, had just a tens machine for pain relief as my labour was only a couple of hours long. I fed immediately after he had stopped screaming (apparently due to fast delivery) when he came out and breastfeeding is going well for us.

I have been a labor and delivery nurse for 20 years. I have seen just about everything when it comes to breast feeding. Most first time moms are often very unprepared for the amount of pain they will go through during the birthing process. Medication can be very helpful in relaxing a patient so that she doesn't tense up and fight the contractions. Rarely does medication interfere with breast feeding. Every woman's success depends on HER anatomy (nipples), infants coordination and her determination. There are just some babies that latch easily and others that don't.

I just wanted to thank everyone so much for your replies! I have had a great response to my poll and am a little less worried about my choice to have an epidural during labor. Now, my other main worry is that my areolas may be too large. I guess I will have to just make up my mind that I want to bf no matter how hard I have to work at it!

In an ideal world, you could give birth with no medications and your baby would latch right on and feed perfectly. That is what the book is going for. That doesn't happen that often.

Really, it is quite rare that you CAN'T breastfeed, it's just, how long and hard are you willing to work at it.

Absolutely agree.

I had a vaginal delivery, and had stadol, another pain med that I don't remember the name of, pitocin and an epidural.

Immediately following birth we did skin to skin and then tried nursing. He didn't latch. He took a nap while they moved us to a different room, then when he woke we tried nursing again. It took us a couple hours and many tries to get it. I still remember the proud feeling I had when he latched. Then I would put my ear down by him and listen to hear him swallow because I wasn't sure he was actually getting any milk! :haha: 16 months later, we're still nursing :thumbup:

don't worry about your aerolas, I've seen women with huge aerolas breastfeeding successfully, it really doesn't matter. You just want to see your babe with a nice wide open mouth when latching.

Med vag delivery here, two epis, baby born blue with cord around her neck. Once they sorted her out, she latched and fed, then we didn't feed for 14 hours because she slept, I didn't know I should have woken her up, I was a bit wiped out myself. Shallow latch for months (baby literally hanging on the end of the nipple), bleeding nipples and all that. She's never had formula and will not take a bottle for love nor money. I've been breastfeeding for 11 months.

I was induced via the drip, had pethidine twice during my labour then the epidural and successfully breastfed and still am breastfeeding my 21 month old x

I had an epidural this last time and still bf:)

Just wanted to say i was really inspired by this poll and responses!! Thank you ladies! :hugs:

I had a medicated vaginal birth. I breastfeed but it was hell at first, sleepy baby wouldn't latch, mastitis, bleeding nipples. But been going for 19 months now. It does get so much easier!

I had an unwanted epi, then given pain meds after birth that made us both sleepy (not suppose to be given to nursing moms but the docs here give it anyway because it makes you and baby sleep. I was not told this until after I was discharged by my midwife who was not on call when I went into labor). I had issues at the start but it had nothing to do with the birth.. She has an upper lip tie that went undiagnosed for months.

We have been nursing 13 months and counting.... :)

Another positive story.. My best friend has had three c sections all babies nursed great from day one. Her daughter nursed until 10 months (she went on the pill which dried up her milk then she got pregnant her daughter just weaned herself), her son nursed 13 months and she weaned him, and she is nursing a newborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->