difference between Braxton hicks and labor

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
With DD, I never had Braxton hicks nor did I ever feel labor (i was induced but had a c section before I ever felt any pains).

I actually had Braxton hicks with this one. Not continually. I had weeks where I had them more often and weeks I didn't have them. The only time I had them frequently was at the end of June when it turned out I was really dehydrated and was very upset over an accident with our cat.

I've been having a lot of Braxton hicks over the last few days. Not as much today, but still enough.

Over the last few hours they seem to feel more like dull period pains coming an going on occasion (also feeling like I have to go to the bathroom - which I know I do, but the feeling passes before I find the opportunity to go).

I'm guessing it's just Braxton hicks even though they seem a little different as my Braxton hicks have been more like tightening much higher up.

But it got me thinking that I have absolutely no idea what labor pains will feel like, especially in comparison to Braxton hicks.

Can anyone describe them? Will I just automatically know? Are the differences very obvious?

The main difference is the pain!!! I know a few might say they couldn't tell the difference but I don't think this is usual. Even though I had Braxton Hicks and felt labour with my DD I am still trying to second guess every twinge, but as my friend said today I will just know when it's really starting! I've had period pains the past week - I think it's everything gearing up and getting ready. All very exciting!!

When the pain is strong enough you are having trouble talking through it than you are definitely in labor. Contractions in the early stages just feel like a lot of pressure. Just time them and see how close they are and if they stay regular for an hour and start to get closer it wouldn't hurt to give a call to your Dr. Especially if they are getting close to 5 minutes apart. I had my first at 37 weeks.

With my first I had a lot of period-like cramps, but they were constant. Like one day they were constant for about 16 hours. They were like that for about 3 weeks.

I somehow managed to get to 3-4 cm dilated and 100% effaced by the time I was induced.

If I manage to go spontaneously (which I feel discouraged and completely doubt), I worry about my ability to even feel them.

When I was induced with my first, they asked me if I was feeling the contractions, and I wasn't. The seemed genuinely shocked. Especially since I'm attempting a vbac, I'm worried that if I do manage to go on my own, if I'm going to even feel them.

I was induced with my first and felt confident it was labour around 5cm. The feeling is very similar to Braxton hicks but more regular, getting closer together and more painful. Period like pains and pressure are most likely just babys position. My sisters friend had a silent labour but they're very rare.

When they say u can't talk thru them that's my biggest red flag they are real because over the weekend I had some intense regular bh contractions n then it stopped grr. I thought it may have been the real deal til it stopped

Please don't think that they're just BH just because you can't talk through them! I know so many women believe this but it's not true, the only thing true about not being able to talk through a contraction is that *maybe* you are closer to stage 2 of labour but especially with 2nd, 3rd and so on births, you may be in stage 1 without feeling any "pain", just period like pains. This is exactly how it was for me with my second, I thought there was no way the hospital was going to admit me because surely I wasn't in labour (all I had was constant period like pains but I wouldn't have called them painful) but I was totally in active labour which was completely different from my first where I was in full blown can't talk labour from the beginning.

Please don't think that they're just BH just because you can't talk through them! I know so many women believe this but it's not true, the only thing true about not being able to talk through a contraction is that *maybe* you are closer to stage 2 of labour but especially with 2nd, 3rd and so on births, you may be in stage 1 without feeling any "pain", just period like pains. This is exactly how it was for me with my second, I thought there was no way the hospital was going to admit me because surely I wasn't in labour (all I had was constant period like pains but I wouldn't have called them painful) but I was totally in active labour which was completely different from my first where I was in full blown can't talk labour from the beginning.

Thank you for this.

I called my doc Saturday because I was on the toilet and I was having strong contractions about every minute to two minutes lasting about a minute it was terrible and they were worse as Babe moved. So I went to get checked out n it stopped she said I was contracting but not close enough so I got sent home i felt stupid b cuz I know what I was going thru at home I said well how do I know when to come back and she told me about the talking thru them and timing them being very close together so I was a little disappointed but now I am hoping to see blood or more intense pain or my waters soemthing that says hello ur in labor you know.

Thank you for this.

I called my doc Saturday because I was on the toilet and I was having strong contractions about every minute to two minutes lasting about a minute it was terrible and they were worse as Babe moved. So I went to get checked out n it stopped she said I was contracting but not close enough so I got sent home i felt stupid b cuz I know what I was going thru at home I said well how do I know when to come back and she told me about the talking thru them and timing them being very close together so I was a little disappointed but now I am hoping to see blood or more intense pain or my waters soemthing that says hello ur in labor you know.

Sure :) I just worry about women who think "I'm not in labour because I can talk through my contractions" just because especially with those subsequent babies, we can go pretty quickly! So I don't mess around haha! Best of luck to you, sounds like you'll go soon! I know a lot of women including me, our labours can stop or slow down once we get to the hospital :wacko:

Thank you. So far my labor a been 12 hrs 22 and I'm
Hoping this one will be under 10 lol

I always just knew but still second guessed all the way up and this will be my 4th! All labours are so different i find myself wondering if this is it lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->