Different spelling of a name?

DocMcStuffins

Cautiously expecting #3
Reaction score
Hiya,

Oh and I currently have 2 daughters Summer and Skye and our third pink bundle on the way :)

We both like the name Savannah but want to call her Sevvie for short as it means a lot to me as my mum was always called that as a young girl (her initials used to spell Sev).

Anyway I really like the idea of spelling Savannah with an E so Sevannah instead.

Oh is on board with me but we've had a few people say 'oh she'll be forever correcting her spelling to people'. But the way I see it is I have a pretty normal name but it has variations of how it can be spelt so I've still always had to spell out my name when saying it to people! There are far more unusual and strange spellings of names than Sevannah.

I mean take the name Ashley, that could be Ashlee, Ashleigh etc so just switching the A in Savannah for an E doesn't seen so out there.

What do you think?

X

Hard to say, really. I know a little girl named Alivia (pronounced like Olivia) and her mom has griped on a few occasions about how often her name is misspelled or mispronounced...I quietly wonder if she regrets veering from the spelling.

I think for some names, like Ashley, it's almost more acceptable for the variations in spelling. For others, there's one pretty standard spelling, and Savannah might be one of those.

Of course it's your call! If Sevvie is a sentimental name, then go for it. Although...I think it'd be kind of cute to stick with the original spelling and call her Savvie! It's not exactly like your mom's nickname but still an obvious nod to it. Really cute.

I love Savannah by the way, it was on my list for sure. :thumbup:

I don't think there's anything wrong with spelling it Sevannah at all. It makes it pretty cool I think and more similar to the unique name Seven.

Personally I wouldn't. I think it might look like a spelling mistake because unlike Ashley Savannah is a well known city.

similar to the unique name Seven.

I was thinking of Seven too! I have (very rarely!) heard this name and I love it! So cool!

Would you consider Summer, Skye, and Seven? Sevvie would be a great nn. for the name Seven.

As far as Savannah I don't think you should spell it differently. Some names look ok with alt spellings and some don't. I don't think Sevannah works, sorry. :nope:

I think it would be fine to use the traditional spelling, though, and have Sevvie as a nickname.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it if that's what you want to do but spelling it with an 'e' actually changes the name. It would make me say it differently, anyway. If you did decide to spell it the traditional way there's nothing stopping you using 'Sevvie' as a nickname, it still works.

I don't see anything wrong with it. My name is Krystal, and I have to make sure people know it's spelled with a K each time, but it's so minor and doesn't take much to say "Krystal with a K" haha. :shrug:

We spelled our son's name Fenix instead of Phoenix (it's an actual word, and not something we made up, but people still assume it's Phoenix).

I have Angas instead of Angus. I have to spell it all the time but it doesn't bother me. I changed it because I hate Gus but love Angas. I think Sevannah is fine but I also think Seven is totally cool!

My name can be spelled in about 5 different ways and I've always had to correct people but I don't find it a problem. The only time I've been annoyed is when it's been misspelled by a family member, who has known me forever lol
You could always completely reinvent the spelling if you thought it looked wrong. i.e Sevana, Sevanna.

I think that is a cute way to spell it and lovely to have a daughter with a name that has meaning to you... Go for it - my name is Aimee & yeah people misspell it all the time but I don't mind :)

PS - if we have a girl then her name will be Lillian Skye :) (I've also toyed with spelling Lillian as Lillien just because its different)

I completely agree. We named our daughter Ryleigh. And because that name can be spelled a few different ways, our assumption was she would forever be spelling her name for people anyways, so might was well go with the spelling we liked the best :) I think Sevvie is pretty and unique. Go with whichever spelling you and OH like best.

i dont see anything wrong with it spelling it with the E instead of a A :)

I don't see the advantage in spelling it differently, you can still use the nickname?

I have an Irish name so although it's spelled traditionally I have to spell it out a lot. This doesn't bother me but I don't get why it would be done just to be different!

It is a nice name and goes really well with your others old names :)

I think you could still use the nn Sevvie with it spelt Savannah, it's a lovely name as it is and Sevannah just doesn't look right to me.

All lovely names for you DD's but I wouldn't change the spelling for you newest LO only because I think you/your DD will get fed up correcting it all the time!

I named DS Sean, and I'm always having to spell it even though it's a normal name because it's just as common Shaun. That being said, both are "normal" spellings. I think I would try and pronounce Sevannah different than Savannah.

Personally I wouldn't BUT I have a Madison which I thought was a no-brainer - but the world seems to want to spell it with a double d! So you're damned if you think about it and damned if you on't xx

I personally think spelling it with an E. Changes the Name people will call her Sev-Annah instead of sav-Annah although is your going to call her sevvie anyway why not people are always changing spellings these days it's nothing unusal x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->