Disagreement with dh...

StephtheHiker

Reaction score
Ok so this isn't actually serious but we do disagree. Last night I made tomato soup with grilled cheese for dinner and thought, what could go better with this meal then salmon nigiri sushi?? So I begged him to bring home just a few pieces since it's so expensive in this part of the country. He came home with the goods and I immediately dipped the raw salmon into the tomato soup. It was HEAVEN.

His argument is that's a crazy pregnancy craving. I think it's a genius new idea and I can't believe I didn't come up with it earlier!

What do you ladies think? Have you had any food revelations lately?

I used to get double cheeseburgers with Mac sauce from mcdonalds (thousand island dressing) and put French fries on them. I ate them like they were going out of style. Gross!

I thought we werent allowed raw sushi? Id kill for some..tell me im allowed!

Oops sorry, I was wrong. edited.

Watch out for: High-mercury fish
Why: Certain fish -- mostly big, top-of-the-food chain types -- contain high levels of mercury, which isn't good for anyone's health (pregnant or not), but they can be particularly harmful to a developing baby's nervous system, lungs, kidneys, vision, and hearing. On the Do-Not-Eat list: shark, swordfish, tilefish, king mackerel, orange roughy, grouper, tuna steaks, saltwater bass, and canned solid white albacore tuna (which is bigger, and has therefore more mercury than the smaller tunas used in the kind labeled "chunk light"), according to Redfern.

Bottom line: Steer clear of high-mercury fish, but don't give up seafood entirely. Many varieties, like salmon, herring, and sardines, contain heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids including DHA, which research shows may boost fetal brain development. In fact, one recent study found that nearly 75 percent of pregnant women may not be eating enough low-mercury fish during pregnancy.

BUT

Watch out for: Sushi and sashimi
Why: There's a slight chance that raw fish may contain bacteria or microbes that could cause food poisoning. "But the main concern with sushi is that in the unlikely event that you get a parasite, it's not only exceedingly unpleasant, it's harder to treat in pregnancy. The parasite can also take vital nutrients away from your growing baby," says Dr. Morse. Plus, some of the most popular sushi rolls (like spicy tuna) may contain too-high mercury levels.

Bottom line: Skip raw-fish sushi, but rolls made with fully-cooked fish are A-OK. Sushi made with eel, crab, or anything done tempura-style (which means it's been battered and fried) is perfectly safe to eat. California rolls also make the go-for-it list, as do veggie rolls, like avocado or cucumber.

My Dr said absolutely no raw sushi!!! I know of 1-2 people who have had it without problem, but I don't believe it's something I would risk personally... to each his own I guess!!!
As for me I've been eating a bagel with tons of cream cheese twice a day... I also am craving McDonald's French fries dipped in a ketchup and Mayo mixture... yummmmm

Do some research on it. I have found only good things besides people worried about food borne illness. Everyone agrees no fish with high mercury like tuna and swordfish. Do your own research on it, from reputable sources. Japanese in Japan and in the us eat it as a part of a healthy diet. If you don't feel comfortable, then don't :) I, however, feel safe and comfortable doing so. Delicious!

Do some research on it. I have found only good things besides people worried about food borne illness. Everyone agrees no fish with high mercury like tuna and swordfish. Do your own research on it, from reputable sources. Japanese in Japan and in the us eat it as a part of a healthy diet. If you don't feel comfortable, then don't :) I, however, feel safe and comfortable doing so. Delicious!

I got told with Ds1 that I could have sushi where the fish had previously been frozen as that killed the parasite - this accounts for most supermarket sushi

Not a fan of fish but have been craving tomato soup with grilled cheese LOL will be having for dinner tomorrow night!

I normally only drink chocolate milk with something sweet....I just ate a subway sandwich and a big glass of chocolate milk....totally putting that one all on the pregnancy lol.

^^^MMMMMmmmmmmm chocolate milk.... off to the fridge I go!!!

Hahaha I craved chocolate milk yesterday so badly that I actually walked to the shops to get some.

Carbs...just give me carbs, carbs, carbs right now! Yikes...I'm more in love w/ bread than DH sometimes :haha: Seriously though super cold fruits and carbs are my life lines in the 1st tri.

I like grilled cheese with TOMATOE grilled into it dipped into tomatoe soup. But salmon???? Mmmmmm!! I'm now craving this!!!

I haven't had any crazy food combinations.. but I will say that I have been eating Italian food like crazy!! Spaghetti... pizza... anything!! It seems to be one of the only foods I can keep down too lol. Go figure. Mexican food and I do NOT get along very well right now.

Carbs...just give me carbs, carbs, carbs right now! Yikes...I'm more in love w/ bread than DH sometimes :haha: Seriously though super cold fruits and carbs are my life lines in the 1st tri.

OMG! Carbs!! Yes!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->