Disappointed with our first try at reusables :(

Mark&Annie

Reaction score
We got the smart nappys from mothercare, and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement, I was really looking forward to using washable nappies. The problem seems to be the liners just don't absorb, when on his back wee just leaked out the back :shock: the liner hadn't absorbed a thing, it just ran off like he'd peed on grease proof paper!! That was the disposable liners which are supposed to be more absorbant, but the washable liners weren't any better, even after washing to 'fluff' them up.
Also, the outer nappy doesn't seem to go high up his body enough, they come under his belly button. We weren't happy with the comfort value on him.

Has anyone used these? Should I try a different make? I really don't want to waste money buying a different type to be disappointed again :(

I haven't used those so I can't say for sure. But they may need more prepping. Also if they don't fit well a boy can pee right out the legs or up the top...they are talented haha. You might just need a different size or those type of diapers might not work for his body type.

Sorry I have never used these as nappies but I have used the inserts (washable) and ours are very absorbant. How many times have you washed them? Some nappies need an awful lot of washing before you use them. Also as he is very young still he may need to grow into them? I don't know how big he is :shrug:

Did you buy a trial pack or a lot of them?

Just washed liners once, will try washing again. I guess he might be too small for them - he's 7lb 9oz. I just got 2 outers, 4 washable liners and a pack of the disposable liners so I haven't gone overboard.

Do other types normally ride low under the bellybutton? The disposables we've used so far are Pampers and they cover his tummy and are very snug, never had them leak.
I am determind to use reusables, even if I have to go and buy some differnet types and try them... what would you recommend? Is there a particular one that is better to use from birth at his size??

Thanks for the replys :D

Really next time I plan to mostly use prefolds in the newborn stage, that way I can make them fit how I want since they are so skinny then. Skinny little legs leave gaps in alot of diapers until they fill out a little more. Hayden's diapers mostly were below his belly button but I liked that...just be sure to point his man parts down :) Some other good ones from newborn size would be some fitteds like Mutts in babyshape medium (they run very small) or their newborn ones

https://www.muttaqinbaby.com/store/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=nb

Also try checking out hyenacart.com and search for newborn fitteds...you'll find lots of wahm's that make them.

I think the Mothercare disposable liners are terrible, like cheap toilet paper, the tracing paper type. I prefer washable liners, but if you definitely want the disposable type, there are others available - I have some, by Tots Bots, that are just like a decent baby wipe but dry. I don't use them as liners but to pat dry Adam's skin when I've cleaned up with a washable wipe + water. They are definitely absorbant, and flushable.

I didn't use cloth from birth, Adam was 1 month old (9lb) when I introduced it. We use Little Lamb fitted (bamboo & cotton) and BumGenius V3 pockets - there's loads of different nappies to try, too many I think, it can get very confusing! LL and BG are both pretty simple and basic and easy to use, and LL advertise that the size 1s can be used on 7lb+, but Adam had skinny little legs and he leaked out when I tried one at 3 weeks (it could also have been that I didn't do it up properly). But yours might be fine with some more pre-washing. I bought pre-loved to start with so I never had that issue as they'd all been through many washes already.

I have the smart nappies and they are ok for me, perhaps washing them a couple more times would help and also i don't like the liners from there as they are like school tissue paper, i use fleece ones which you can make your self with no sewing involved and they are brilliant, it sounds to me that you have the newborn sized nappies and they are designed to go under the bellybutton due to the cord stump on newborns, give them another try hun and don't feel down hearted it is all a game or trial and error, but you maybe need the next size up.
There are a few of us on here that swear by the smart nappies and i hope you will be a lover of them soon as well x

i got some disposable inserts on sale from boots and they are really good, we dont use them very often but when we have they have been pretty decent!

i think most nappies are meant to sit under the belly button but its up to you i guess, there are bigger ones out there so just have a look round, also it can take a while to find ones you get on with so try a load and sell on the ones that dont work for you :D

x

I suspect they haven't been through the wash enough. I got Kissaluvs with my oldest boy and I washed them 3 or 4 times and they still weren't absorbant enough. I heard they were so good I was mystified. It turns out they needed even more washes to remove all the residues. It seemed like a waste of water so I hated to do it, but it did seem to make a difference. Other dipes didn't seem to need that super-washing period at all. My favorites were Fuzzi Bunz with inserts, but I'm in the U.S. and I'm not sure which brands you all have there. Good luck!
~Alicia

you know rather than washing them so often you can just soak them for a few days in some water in a bucket? its only to get al the residual oils out so soak them, wring them out every now and then and it will work just as well

x

^^ really? I am dying to try my new Pop-In (sorry, Adam's new Pop-In) but refuse to run the washer for one nappy so I have to wait tll other stuff needs doing - I might have it up and running this time next week at this rate.

just a bucket of water and squeeze/change water every so often? no detergent?

yeh deffo, maybe add a tiny tiny bit of powder, like literally half a teaspoon to a bucket of warm water, it will work just as well as washing it x

It depends on what type of diaper and what it's made of if it really needs prepping and how much. If it's something unbleached cotton it def needs some prepping, microfiber doesn't, regular cotton needs it but can usually be used right away and then with each wash and dry it will just get more absorbent...except with prefolds, all prefolds need to be prepped but just depends on how much if they are bleached or unbleached

I bought a Smart nappy to try and really liked it. Ultimately Bum Genius won out on who got the bulk buy because they were one size birth to potty so worked out much cheaper. All the cloth nappies we've tried have come to just under the belly button.

But the Smart nappy was very absorbent. I used flushable paper liners in the morning when he usually had his big poo and they were fine.

You'll probably find that a few more washes and another pound of baby weight do the trick!

If the inner wasn't wet through but he was leaking I would put it down to a bad fit or not enough pre washing. I'd give them a few washes, and try again. Good luck x

The only time I've had a problem with smart nappies is when Leyla was nearing the upper weight limit for the small ones and she was leaking out of the back. I moved up to the next size and it solved the problem. We didn't use the newborn ones at all, just started straight away in small ones... tbh I think those tiny little pads for the newborn ones are just too small. Are you using the newborn size? It might be worth trying the small if you are (PM me if you want me to send you one to try). Also, how often are you changing the nappy? I usually change smart nappies every two or three hours to avoid leaks.

I've only used the disposable pads a few times, but I was pleased with how long they lasted. You could try using both the disposable and the washable pads at the same time.

Forgot to say, I love the smart nappies but they're a bit boring so I often use the smart nappy pads inside a colourful pocket nappy (just the cheapie ebay ones) and they work really well. Might be worth trying that - then you can see if it's the pads that aren't absorbant enough or the outer just doesn't fit your baby.

I used smart nappies to start off with, and still use their disposable liners.

You need to make sure you have washed the inserts a few times to get their absorbancy up, and make sure you put them in the right way round (with the criss cross pattern facing up, but this is explained in the instructions.)The liners aren't really needed unless you're bothered about poo, and I guess with a newborn he'll be pooing lots!! But all they do is act as a barrier to catch poo, and the wee will go through when the nappies on properly.
The liner should tuck into the gusset, again make sure you're folding the liners like the instructions say (is he in newborn size nappies?, as these follow slightly different instructions).
I thought these were a brilliant nappy to start with, very simple to use, quick drying and not too bulky, but when my LO grew bigger and was weeing more (when he was about 12lb) the wrap seemed to get wet quickly, as it's not the best waterproof fabric and so I stoped using them :( I had 4 wraps and 8 inserts and also used some Ikea hand towels/tea towels folded up (which were only 19p each) to put in the gussets on the odd occasion!!!
I'm still planning to use the inserts I have though when I start using pocket nappies, and will use these to start off with if I have other LOs. If I could have made the wraps more waterproof (perhaps by lanolising them?) I may have used them for a little longer, but he'd almost outgrown them anyway.

I now use Tots Bots bamboozles with a variety of wraps. If you have any other questions just ask :)

i use tots bots, but i use the smart nappy inserts with them for bedtime nappys,
touch wood so far no leakage

id recommend tots bots chick their excellent :)

Just checking - do you mean liners or absorbent pads? The liners won't absorb much on their own without the pads.

Did you use fabric conditioner on the nappies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->