Diseases affecting teeth/causing decay.

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Hi there.. to anyone who has this/is a dental professional/etc:

My boyfriend has Amelogenesis Imperfecta (I had no idea how to spell it at all so this is what the dental website gave me) which has caused brutal dental problems for him. I don't really mind it, however I didn't know it was genetic as it says on a website I browsed? What are the chances our child would develop this, and what kind of treatments are there for it? It's too late for my boyfriend, but he always tells me about how much he wants to get dentures etc. and he's 20, and I don't want our baby to feel the same way about their teeth!

I'm not a dentist, and all the information I have is simply taken off the internet.
There's 2 types of Amelogenesis Imperfecta, a dominant one (the most common) and a recessive one. The dominant one you've got a 50/50 chance of your child having it.
From what I've read there's nothing you can do to lower the chances or prevent it.

The condition:
Amelogenesis imperfecta is an inherited condition that is transmitted as a dominant gene disease. It causes the enamel of the tooth to be soft and thin. Because the dentin on your teeth is visible through the thin enamel, your teeth appear yellow and are easily damaged. Teeth color vary in color from white opaque to yellow to brown.

As to what can be done in teenage years, or later:
Changing the crowns of your visible teeth with artificial white crowns.
Full crowns will improve the appearance of the teeth and protect them from damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->