Disgusted by today's terrorist incident in London!!!

I'm not too bothered by the graphic nature of the coverage. All news channels cover graphic stuff and they give you a warning. But under no circumstances should the guy's vi,e rant have ever seen the light of day on a television news channel. It should have been passed straight to the police.

The media have been ott!! I'm not just talking about it being too graphic I'm talking about the coverage and his poor family having to see it all on tv.

I'm not too bothered by the graphic nature of the coverage. All news channels cover graphic stuff and they give you a warning. But under no circumstances should the guy's vi,e rant have ever seen the light of day on a television news channel. It should have been passed straight to the police.

This is what I thought, the people who sold their footage to the media should be ashamed of themselves, to me it is assisting terrorism- this was exactly what the terrorists wanted. I don't judge people for photographing or videoing- this is valuable evidence for the police, but as you say it should have been handed straight over to the police for their enquiries.

I agree the coverage was far too graphic. That other news channels show similar things doesn't make it any more acceptable. It's pure titillation and does not serve to inform the public; it's about ratings.

I agree the coverage was far too graphic. That other news channels show similar things doesn't make it any more acceptable. It's pure titillation and does not serve to inform the public; it's about ratings.

Yeah, but this isn't about one particular news channel. It's about the media in general. Be it news, documentary or whatever. Graphic depictions are what gets the ratings - and as the audience, we get what we are after. My point really was, we can't really say the content here was too graphic when they have been showing a lot of what is going on in Syria, Libya, Palestine etc with a whole lot more gruesome detail. If anything, the coverage here was actually less graphic than I've seen of other news stories.

And of course the trawling of it, the constant repetition, facts and information being shown over and over again, its what we get from rolling news. Again, it might not be right, but I'm not sure why it is deemed particularly bad for this attack.

Where my problem is, if this guy had rocked up to the TV station and handed a tape of this stuff be shown, or if a political party contained this information within a party political broadcast, there is no way an editor would allow it, and the IPCC would be all over it.

I agree there is a lot of discrepancy between what we are shown of tragedies which happen far away and what we are shown closer to home, but neither is what I'm "after", personally, and I think it's the case for a lot of others too.

It was a bizarre editorial decision to show it and, I think, taken completely to satisfy various channels' perceived rolling news requirements ("it's what the public want"), whereas they waited a day to name the victim and one of the perpetrators when I'm sure they already knew both. Why the show of decency for that and not the killer spouting extremist garbage complete with a panning shot of the unnamed corpse?

I understand the family were only told in the middle of the night, so the news agencies would not have been able to release the name.

But I totally agree. Graphic images are not what I want to see on the news, just like I'm not interested in what Royal Kate did/said/wore today. We are clearly in the minority. It's funny, I do hear a lot of people saying this but there is no denying that ratings go up when these things are shown in the Media. It's a brave outlet who chooses to sacrifice ratings for taste and decency.

I understand the family were only told in the middle of the night, so the news agencies would not have been able to release the name.

But I totally agree. Graphic images are not what I want to see on the news, just like I'm not interested in what Royal Kate did/said/wore today. We are clearly in the minority. It's funny, I do hear a lot of people saying this but there is no denying that ratings go up when these things are shown in the Media. It's a brave outlet who chooses to sacrifice ratings for taste and decency.

I've actually made a point of avoiding the stories/news coverage as I don't want to see this. Its one thing to be told what happened, another for it to be shown so blatantly. Society is too 'blase' about being exposed to violence these days and it seems normal to see. I think its wrong.

And yes the people who sold the footage should be ashamed. Who cares if it helps the terrorists cause as long as they get a bit of cash eh? Just so wrong.

I'd be devastated if that was my family member.

I haven't seen a whole lot about this on the news over here, I think I first heard of it through friends across the pond and on here.

That being said, I saw this article and was shocked to read it. Not only did they give a verbatim recount of every vile thing that man said, they go on to say that multicultralism doesn't work and you can't have competing religions in the same country. :shock:

Thought I'd post it here to get other people's input. If I'm honest, I was very disheartened by this article and I cannot believe someone over here wrote it. I very much hope that I'm misinterpreting it. :nope:

Sun News: Straight Talk

Keep in mind of course that the Sun (to me) is very much the equivalent of the daily mail.

And the comments by people in the bottom are IMHO what's wrong with the world today. My heart just suck about 10 levels. :cry:

the worst is a) ppl jumping on the band wagon...i mean freaking selling there take on it, and the video clips...giving the badies exactly what they wanted. .coverage. and b) the freeking idiots now rioting...again they did this act to cause violence and war...what we need is a country united not acting like a load of barbaric uncivilized idiots.

the whole ordeal has made me seriously question some of my friends...who have jumped on racism . the colour/religion/ place of birth has nothing to do with anything...these men were distrubed individuals who show no reflection of the wider community they claim to represent.

whilst i refuse to watch the live clip i heard what the men said...about there home country and british soliders killing mercilessly (sp) ...there bloody british them selves...so wtf?

The whole media circus around this is ridiculous now. I'm not sure what the purpose of the press conference with the family was designed to serve. I hope they were adamant they wanted to do it and weren't co-erced by some PR person. And yesterday's visit to the scene where again their grief was laid bare. Cameras, the general public gawping at their sorrow at a time where grief should be allowed to be private. If this was not their choice, it is sickening.

But most galling of all are the politicians who are making mileage of it. That BNP tossed goinng down there for a photo op, and Theresa May deciding today was the day to bring up the whole nonsense about ISPs being allowed to store data on all of our communications footprints. And then the media going nuts because David Cameron is on holiday. We're supposed to be outraged by that. But really, I'm not sure what difference it makes to anything.

It is just turning into a farce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->