Disposables stink!

bjl1981

Reaction score
I can't believe how much they reeeeeeek!!!!
We use disposables at night so i normally don't notice, but last night I put him in one mid evening and after he'd wee'd it was really smelly! This morning when I put him in his lovely cloth,(which never smells of anything unless he's pooed) I forget to take his nappy out to the bin and left it, in a nappy bag, in his room. I've just gone up there now and it STINKS!
Maybe parents who use disposables think that its the wee that stinks, but its the nappies!
Glad I'm a fluffy bum mum!

im reallly interested in using cloth nappies this time round how do u keep them clean??

I was just thinking that about disposables. Whenever we use them I always think she's pooed, but it's just smelly nappy, yuk.

We use disposables at night so i normally don't notice, but last night I put him in one mid evening and after he'd wee'd it was really smelly! This morning when I put him in his lovely cloth,(which never smells of anything unless he's pooed) I forget to take his nappy out to the bin and left it, in a nappy bag, in his room. I've just gone up there now and it STINKS!
Maybe parents who use disposables think that its the wee that stinks, but its the nappies!

I totally agree and I'm glad too. I can't stand the stink. Even considering bringing some cloth for over Christmas at my mum's, which I wasn't going to, because I always think he's pooed in a sposie and he hasn't, it's the nappy!

I'm offended. My daughter doesn't reek and it doesn't constantly smell like she's pooed.

I'm the same when we go to the inlaws, I have to check him all the time because I'm convinced he's pooed, when its really just stinky nappies. Unfortunately it's too difficult being in cloth because we flit between OH parents who are divorced and won't be in one place long enough to wash :(

I think they stink too. I had my LO in sposies for the first few months and never knew that they smelled. Really I didn't notice. But since I've switched her to cloth, I had to finish up the sposies that I had stocked up and I used them when we'd go out. I constantly kept thinking that she had poo'ed when she hadn't. It's just horrible. And some of them have that chemically smell. :nope:

just a thought but wouldnt it have also stunk had you of left a cloth nappy lying baout in a nappy bag for ages as well?

just a thought but wouldnt it have also stunk had you of left a cloth nappy lying baout in a nappy bag for ages as well?

Nope, theres no chemicals in cloth so it doesn't smell so bad, my nappy bin was full this morning of nappies from 2 days and it smelt slightly wee-ish but not too bad at all :shrug:

I have left a cloth nappy in a nappy bag when we've been out and then forgotten to put it in the nappy bin when we've got home, and no, it actually didn't smell!
Part of me is suprised that cloth doesn't smell at all, but actually I guess babies wee is so dilute that it only starts to smell when its stale. The smell of a disposable seems to be down to the chemical reaction in the gel of the nappy.

I'm offended. My daughter doesn't reek and it doesn't constantly smell like she's pooed.

Nobody meant any offence. I used disposables for the first week or two and didn't notice it, but after using cloth for a while you do notice the smell. It's kind of a warm chemically whiff... not like actual poo but it always makes me wonder if she's hiding something in her nappy! I guess only cloth bum mums would notice it.

I never realized with my older boys, or when I used them at first with Hayden...the sposies....but then when I had Hayden in cloth for over a year and then when we went back to using sposies due to some issues I thought the same thing, they really do smell so bad with urine when they get peed in. I still notice it with Hayden, I hate it! Some have really strong scents, like pampers where it isn't as noticeable but I still smell it, plus I don't like the heavily scented stuff on him. I'm not saying kids in sposies stink or something, but until you've done both you really don't realize but you can smell that pee. Hayden is in sposies and cloth trainers at the moment, we were potty training but gave up just until we move in Jan so he doesn't have a huge change and just get set back so mostly sposies right now

Yep have defo noticed the difference in smell since converting! :(

And my cloth bin doesn't smell anything like her morning nappy used to [she never poops in the night] so I have noticed a big difference smell wise.

wow thats interesting, see i always used disposables before but have been considering some cloths this time round - i just assumed the smell would be worse

thanks

Yeah I thought it would be worse too when first starting out but really they have no smell. The only time I had smell issues was with a certain type of diaper that is notorious for having smell issues after using for awhile...and then some build up smell but I stripped them, bleached inserts and it went away, then I just did that occasionally so it wouldn't come back.

Yeah I have used the odd one and have always thought it smelled horrible. I am always surprised it is just wee in it as it smells like there should be more!

Nope, theres no chemicals in cloth so it doesn't smell so bad, my nappy bin was full this morning of nappies from 2 days and it smelt slightly wee-ish but not too bad at all :shrug:

yep, I did a load today, first since Thursday, and all I could smell was ammonia when I got the the bottom of the bucket. nothing else, certainly nothing like the disposable smell. and not poo either (I spray the nappies till they're almost clean before going in the bucket). a freshly removed weed-in nappy smells of nothing at all, it would take at least a day for the ammonia smell to develop.

Yeah I have used the odd one and have always thought it smelled horrible. I am always surprised it is just wee in it as it smells like there should be more!

Ditto, Imi came back from my mums in a sposie as she'd run out of cloth. It had been on about 1 hour and stunk :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->