Distractions!

sweetysangel8

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

What do you do to distract yourselves from "the wait"? Everything I do seems to lead back to baby stuff so I need some ideas. Currently we are working on remodeling a couple of bedrooms (one that will be a baby room). I did take up sewing but once again, that lead to wanting to make baby blankets, bibs, etc. I'm great at cooking/baking but there's only so much I can do for a distraction there without gaining 50 lbs lol.

I'm in the same boat. I've lately been trying to research a healthy diet and going to try to eat right in the meantime. I'm spending time making shopping lists, meal plans, etc. Doing some shopping online to make myself feel better. Like you, I've been trying to get the spare (baby) room clean and ready to go when it's time. Just get out as much energy as you can with whatever you do.

I read something yesterday about what to do while you're in the wait that I thought was a good idea. It said make a list of things to do for every day of the week so you'll have something to do and not just sit there waiting. I try to think up things to do when I get home while I'm at work - it does help a bit.

Pinterest is a good time waster :D

Pinterest is definitely a good time waster. I probably spend way too much time on there.

I've been trying to get into a routine of making a meal plan and attempting to keep up with an exercise routine (severely failing at keeping up with it). But I think the list thing is a great idea! I'll have to try it.

Hello!

Defo thinking eating healthily to make sure you're ready to ttc is a great idea. And also if there are things you need to sort around the house then go for it, cos they're defo harder to do when you've got a little one. We've got some decorating half finished now since Dec 2013 :haha:

Try and come up with a savings plan - open a new account with your OH maybe and work out what you can squirrel away. You can use that money for baby stuff or to help cover bills so you can stay off longer on mat leave.

And have lots of FUN with your OH!! I know this kinda contradicts the saving bit, but if there's anything you really want to do or go, then do it! Make sure you're having date nights, or a cheeky weekend away or visiting friends and family that you've been meaning to see for ages. These are all the things that are harder to do when you've got a LO, but also it's the same as eating healthy and getting your body ready... you need to make sure your relationship is super healthy too. don't get me wrong, ttc, pregnancy and a baby are all AMAZING but they can be super stressful at times too and being in a strong relationship will help you get through the tough times

:flower: xx

I'm a big photography fanatic so my camera is my biggest distraction. When I can't do that and I have nothing to do at night I tend to search Pinterest for new ideas and inspiration or searching the internet for new prop ideas. I do have loads of ideas for photos when I'm pregnant and when LO is here thanks to Pinterest though :haha:

Work out, travel, go out for meals and drinks with friends, sleep in. I didn't appreciate how amazing it was to be able to do these things until I had a child (literally haven't slept in past 8am, usually more like 6:30am, in in 2.5 years!). Just going out and meeting friends for a drink after work or for a BBQ is a challenge now. And though I didn't fully appreciate how wonderful it was to get to do those things when I could do them with ease, I'm glad I took full advantage of them while I could. Or go take a class about something you want to learn in the evenings or on the weekend. You'll never have your evenings or weekends to yourself again, so it's a fun thing to do now while you can. And plan a big trip somewhere. My husband and I spent several weeks in India just before we TTC and it was wonderful. So glad we did that.

My only distraction this time around is trying to finish up a big work project that needs to be done before I can take another maternity leave before we can plan to TTC again. It's not nearly as fun as all the awesome things we got to do the first time around.

All great ideas ladies :thumbup:. The weird thing is that I already get up by 7 every morning whether I want to be or not. As for going out, DH and I are more of the stay at home type vs the going out type. We never were really too much into the social scene so I guess there isn't too much there we feel we need to do before a baby. DH does have family out of state that we would like to visit, so that is a possibility to do in the next few months. I do want to get some sort of organization system going around the house (house is a mess with remodeling and we never quite settled in after moving in December because of it).

Me and my partners are partner dancers, so that's a big hobby in our life that serves as a good distraction, but planning to dial it back to help with saving/work on house over next year.

I also can relate to the everything comes back to babies - we were having a joint chat on fb last night, posting links to different wedding rings we liked for each other's opinions from etsy. my attention may have...strayed to the baby section and started sending them pics of cute reusable nappies with marvel characters on them...

Me and my partners are partner dancers, so that's a big hobby in our life that serves as a good distraction, but planning to dial it back to help with saving/work on house over next year.

I also can relate to the everything comes back to babies - we were having a joint chat on fb last night, posting links to different wedding rings we liked for each other's opinions from etsy. my attention may have...strayed to the baby section and started sending them pics of cute reusable nappies with marvel characters on them...

I am terrible when it comes to online shopping! Everything always leads to the baby section.

I just got through the couch to 5k training (free app) and ran my first 5k last weekend. Because there were a couple weeks between finishing training and the race, it took 2 1/2 months and was a great distraction with a goal to focus on. Getting ready to start 10k training along with being a couple days into the bikini body mommy 90 day fitness challenge (free on youtube). I've always HATED exercising but eating well, exercising and losing weight have become a fun way to pass the time, get healthy and feel good knowing I'm making the best place I can for a baby to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->