Do 20 month olds still need to wake at night to breastfeed?

Zeri

Reaction score
My 20 month old son wakes about 2 times a night to breastfeed. :wacko: Is it okay to night-wean him at this point? I'm planning to wean completely at 24 months.... and I desperately need to sleep through a night! :wacko:

Do your 18-24 month year olds still wake at night? I don't remember if my DD did....Just trying to figure out what's 'normal'.

They probably don't need it for nutrition, no, but it is still perfectly normal for a 20 month old to wake during the night (and breastfeeding might be the easiest way to soothe him back to sleep, or it might not, if you're starting to feel finished). Definitely at 20 months, mine was still waking several times a night, though I wasn't breastfeeding at that point and she hadn't had a night feed at all (at that point, formula) since she was 9 months. She still wakes once or sometimes twice a night now - she's 3.5 - but obviously not for a feed. Yes, I would say definitely if you feel ready to stop the night feeds, he absolutely doesn't really need a feed during the night (though he might sometimes need a drink of water). And if you have other ways of getting him back to sleep, then those might be easier than to keep up the night feeds if you just feel like you're done.

He definitely doesn't need your breastmilk at night any more. Definitely night wean if you feel is causing a sleep issue for either of you

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Yes, I'm definitely going to - starting tonight!! I feel so exhausted today....and have been for a while. Think I'll start by offering him juice instead of breastmilk....will see how that goes. There'll probably be a lot of protesting tonight. He's a stubborn little one, lol.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Yes, I'm definitely going to - starting tonight!! I feel so exhausted today....and have been for a while. Think I'll start by offering him juice instead of breastmilk....will see how that goes. There'll probably be a lot of protesting tonight. He's a stubborn little one, lol.

Please don't offer juice at night, it's terrible for little teeth and you don't want to start a night juice habit. Water is far better.

Good luck with the weaning. I do agree that water would be a better option, and more likely he will sleep I stead of waking for it. Juice will rot his teeth and will probably encourage him to wake every night for it xxx

I night weaned DD when she was about 15 months old because I was pregnant again and finding the nights hard. If I got up with her she just wanted to BF back to sleep and was hard to settle so OH started getting up at night and offering her water. She was fine with it after a bit of complaining for about 3 nights. It didnt imrove her sleep, she woke up just as often and it was actually easier and quicker when I could just use my boob to put her back to sleep but I needed a break from feeding at night. DS decided himself to wean compleatly at 14 months when I got pregnant again, I dont think he liked the taste of the milk from being pregnant and he was already eating an impressive amount of solids. Since about 2.5 DD has mostly slept through the nights. DS is 1.5 and still wakes more than once most nights. So weaning never helped sleeping for us. The only thing that is easier is that it doesnt always have to be me who is the one getting up in the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->