Do I HAVE to have waters broken?

Scuba

Mummy & Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm not a home birther so I hope you don't mind me asking this question here but you all seem so much more clued up on avoiding intervention than me!! Basically with my last baby I ended up being induced - horrible experience which I did not enjoy at all - but I was only given a pessary to get me going, thankfully my waters went of their own accord not long after my contractions started.. BUT while I was in hospital for hyperemesis for a week I saw loads of ladies come in for induction, and all of them were sent downstairs to delivery to have their waters broken.. My question is, is there any harm in leaving the waters intact until they naturally break? If I did end up being induced again (God forbid!) could I refuse to have my waters popped? Medical peeps seem too keen in my opinion to force women's bodies to labour before they're ready - plus I'm avoiding having any more random gloved hands shoved inside me than is absolutely necessary lol

Thanks in advance xx

I believe there is a time and a place for it. However, if it's misused, it can create complications. Problems arise if it's done too soon.

I have not experienced induction, but when I birthed Isla, my membranes didn't rupture until just before she came out. You don't have to agree to have them broken.

You don't HAVE to be induced and you don't HAVE to have your waters broken.......you don't HAVE to do anything ?...there's no birth Gestapo in the UK ;)

No you don't have to have them broken.

No, there is CERTAINLY no harm in letting them go on there own! If anything, there is often harm to come from having them broken before they go on their own.

It's actually better to have your water break naturally. The longer the water is intact the better chances of decreasing infections and the water provides cushin for the baby.

Thank you ladies all SO much. That was my theory NaturalMomma, especially as I'm GBS infected, so I want my waters popping when baby and my body makes them, not when someone decides they want to hurry me up!
I have so so so many questions - think I better do another post with them all in! Really appreciate your replies - thank you xxx

when I was having Remi, my mw actually thought she may be born with the waters intact - she asked me if i wanted her to break them and i said no so i carried on pushing. The waters did not break until her ears were nearly out.

your birth - yourb decision x

As others have said, no you definitely don't need to consent to having your waters manually broken, though in certain situations it can be helpful, and I'd say it's one of the more 'natural' interventions in terms of progressing labor if that makes sense.

Actually, babies can be born with the water fully intact! You can imagine its very rare, but not dangerous and not impossible. Good luck!

With my first birth I went to hospital and they broke my waters (for no good reason and without even asking me first).

My next three births were at home and the water's broke as baby was crowning.

The best thing for you and baby is to keep everybody else's hands (and instruments) out of your vagina.

Im opposite here
I was refused to have mine broken, the hospital said its policy was not to break them, as they believed it was better on babies head.
For me, this stressed me out, made end of my labour very bad, i couldnt work out when i needed to push, because i couldnt feel the head.
with my first baby, they broke waters when i hit 10cm, she was out really quick.

its your choice when you want them done, within reason i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->