Do i need actual "burp cloths"?

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
Okay so im starting to get everything together for baby and I feel so far behind....

I have washcloths, and they are nice and thin and soft (to be honest, on sale) and now ive been looking for actual burp cloths but I cant find any (I haven't hit up babies r us until hubby gets a job again)

Do I actually need something called a burp cloth, or do you use just.. anything? Im a natural mama (to be), so I already have cloths and such around my home as I don't use paper towels or disposable dish cloths and sponges. Everything goes in the washer.

Can I go buy random soft cloth and use that? I am so confused, and im probably making a huge deal out of nothing lol. :kiss::dohh:

Honestly, I'm using cloth diaper prefolds as burp cloths! Someone gave me a bunch of brand new ones as a baby shower gift, but I don't plan on cloth diapering and I heard they were great burp rags... My suggestion is just use whatever you want! They will all clean up the lovely spit up just the same :)

lol thanks! I am actually planning on cloth diapering with prefolds/fitteds, so maybe ill just buy a few extra. :)

I bought lots of burp cloths for my daughter and I think I only used any of them once or twice. Waste of money in my opinion. (She maybe spit up 4-5 times in her life so far though)

I use flat diapers, not the ones I use for diapers though, different colors.

Depends on bubba really. I had a spewy, happy spewer, but spewy DS. We went through 2 maybe 3 burp cloths a day. We just bought a few white hand towels and used them.

No you don't need them. My first was very sicky and I only ever had muslin cloths which are more useful anyway, with how much my little boy used to throw up a burp cloth wouldn't have been big enough to catch all the sick.

Muslins or flour sack towels work just fine. :) I'm sure your unpaper towels will work great too. (Flour sack towels can work as diaper flats and inserts too if you ever don't get to your laundry in time. Not that that ever happened to me. <cough>)

I'm sure any absorbent fabric would work. The only reason I can think of to buy something labeled a burp cloth is aesthetics. We're planning on just using whatever size prefold he's not wearing on his butt at the moment.

Coming from someone who has been thrown up on more times then I want to remember I would not not get them.

To me they're just too handy. If there's no spit up then they double as a light weight blanket, in my opinion.

To each their own? Personally I love them and have a 5 pack already, but you may have a different idea / solution or need once baby is here :)

I am not buying any burp cloths this time. I had some with DD and only used them once to find out that they are useless! They make them so narrow that if baby does spit up, it doesn't even go on the cloth! I actually ended up using receiving blankets as I had received a lot at my shower and they worked perfect!

I agree with her. I had a bunch of flannel receiving blankets that I used when burping ( and I've been lucky neither of mine have really spit up much, but a little dribble here and there so I always just had one to be safe) instead of narrow little burpcloths that are just cutesy but useless. I use aden and anais blankets as they are my fav baby product ever, so the smaller flannel receiving blankets did the burp cloth job for me!

Its not that burp cloths are not needed, you just don't have to purchase purpose built "burp cloths", so to those saying they couldn't not not get them, most people who have posted use SOMETHING for a burp cloth, whether it be a blanket or diaper or towel, etc. just not something that is sold as a "burp cloth"

You definitely need SOMETHING to catch spit up/drool/food/snot....We are still occasionally using the flats with DS being nearly 2 when he is sick to wipe boogies....

Yes miss priss I agree. Something needs to be used, I just never bought ' burp cloths' just used blankets I already have. I think the OP asked if she needs to buy things called ' burp cloths' or if she could just use anything. I say you don't need to buy specialty burp cloths, make handy what you have!
But you are for sure right, something is needed for sure!

Any absorbent cloth would do. I used little wash cloths on my shoulder when burping (they were much more useful than actual burp clothes in my opinion), and placed a muslin cloth on my breastfeeding pillow to catch any spit up. Honestly though all my cloth things were used interchangeably. So in short, no, I don't think you need actual burp cloths and can use anything else.

Delilah had bad acid reflux as a baby and spit up a lot. I just used whatever was handy. I found that bigger the better. Nothing is worst than having to change your clothes because you have baby spit up done the back of you.

I used muslins and like misspriss still do if DS is ill, I also always have one in his bag to wipe his nose or in case he spills anything while we are out!

I personally thought burp cloths looked too small and quite impractical but muslins have been one of my must haves so far. Like everyone else has said I'd definitely have something but it really doesn't matter what.

My son was really spilly, and he practically lived in bibs (the big, over the head kind that don't have waterproof backing) when he was little. Obviously take them off during sleep times, but they are so handy for when baby pukes on themselves and when you're burping you can hang the bib over your shoulder :haha:

Really though, you could totally use anything!

The burp cloth things you are talking about are the ones that are supposed to just sit on the shoulder and look like giant maxi pads or weird peanut shapes, right? Those things are not a necessity. TBH, I'm in Canada and I had never even seen one of those until my SIL that lives in Cali sent us one. Maybe they are more prevalent now?

I used receiving blankets and prefolds. Loved the white prefolds.

Okay so im starting to get everything together for baby and I feel so far behind....

I have washcloths, and they are nice and thin and soft (to be honest, on sale) and now ive been looking for actual burp cloths but I cant find any (I haven't hit up babies r us until hubby gets a job again)

Do I actually need something called a burp cloth, or do you use just.. anything? Im a natural mama (to be), so I already have cloths and such around my home as I don't use paper towels or disposable dish cloths and sponges. Everything goes in the washer.

Can I go buy random soft cloth and use that? I am so confused, and im probably making a huge deal out of nothing lol. :kiss::dohh:

Hey

Use whatever you feel does the job.
All you will need is clothes and plenty of them to clear up the reflux/sick.

It's my first and I've got muslin clothes and bibs, my sis has 4 kids and used the same and they have done the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->