Do I send my kids to bed too early?

Ju_bubbs

Proud single Mummy of 5!
Reaction score
I have a 6 year old who goes to bed at 7pm
An 8 year old who goes to bed at 8pm
And an 11 year old who goes to bed at 9pm

I'm no so strict on times during holidays and weekends, especially since if we go to the beach or something, we rarely get home till 8 at the earliest anyway.. but atm, in term time, I feel really bad calling them in for bed and all their friedns of similar ages are all still outside playing till gone 9.
My kids dont complain about it, I'm just curious at to whether mine go to bed too early, or if everyone elses are out too late!

My 8 year old has just gone up to bed, I've just been to let my dog out in the garden for a wee, and there are still kids out there playing, even as young as 3/4.. All the parents can see them from our windows, but surely it's too late?

amelie goes to bed at diff times. usually its 7ish, tonight was 6.30 and last saturday it was 10.30 :shock: if theyre happy and youre happy i wouldnt worry about it although id let them stay up later when theyve no school cos 9pm is a bit early for an 11 year old who hasnt got to get up early(u already said u werent as strict).

They sound fine to me, sleep is important at that age so that they dont get tired at school.
Holidays you can let it go a bit.

i know how u feel my step son is 9 and he goes to bed at 8 and sometime when he comes in from playing his friends are still out but i dont care if there parents are happy to let them stay out thats fine, do what u think is best

I know how you feel hun, my daughter is 7 and I let her stay out til about 8.30-8.45 then it's in for a shower and bed, but all her friends are still out playing, some are out til 10.30 at night, now to me thats just crazy :wacko: some of them are as young as 6

if you're kids are happy and your happy then I would just keep the times as they are, no reason to change it really :) x

Nope, when I was 13 I was still going to bed by 9 every night :)

My son is 6 and he goes to bed at 7-730. His best friend stays up till 10 but no way, J would be a nightmare plus its nice for us to have some quiet time x

Those are similair to my times. i've told my almost 11 year old that we may move to 10 when she starts secondary and then play it by ear from then on in, but I like to send them to school fresh.

My sister still sends hers up at 6-7pm and they're erm (whoops naughty aunty) 7 & 9 I think..

Thanks for puting my mind at rest.. I was't sure if I was just a nasty mummy :haha:

Glad you posted this my daughter was 11 on Friday and her bed time is 9pm on school nights, like you i think i will review her bed time once at the big school xx

Thanks xx

If I had kids your age I'd probably have exactly the same bedtimes so I think you've got it spot on! :thumbup:

I think it sounds good, 7 for us would be too early just how we have our dinner and such set up. But my 2, 5 and 7yr old all go to bed at 8pm

My bedtime till i left school at 16 was 9pm!! I could sit up till 10pm in bed but we had to et up at 6.30am to catch the bus by 7.30am (school was over an hour away) I moaned once and for that week mum stopped me from going up till 11pm and i was so tired i didnt moan again lol.

Your times sound fine, If your kids are alert and happy there is nothing wrong. x

Mollie is 10 and goes to be between 8-9pm.

Weekend and holibobs are very unstructed but term time, i run my house like the Army :blush:

V xxx

My son is 12, his bed time is 8.30 school nights and 9.30 weekends. We live in small close and all have kids the same age, they let their kids stay up to gone midnight sometimes on a school night !!!! which makes it really hard for me. I have had to ask them to pretend they are going to bed and to be quite when playing outside.

i just think its up 2 u , my stepson use to go at 9pm at age 11, then bout 10ish at 13 yr old,ur kids ur rules int it? x

I don't think it's too early. I actually think it's great that you actually stick with the bedtime routine. I know how hard it can be to actually stick with it. We try to get our girls in bed by 8:30 but sometimes it varies. Sometimes earlier and sometimes later.

Kudos to you for being so consistant!

OH's brother is 15 and still has to go to bed before 10pm,

I remember when I was 13 I still had to go to my room at 9, no TV/phone/computer after about that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->