Do I send my kids to bed too early?

my 8 yo goes to bed at 8 or 7.30 with reading until 8. I think that's an appropriate time. As for 3/4 yo's. I think some people let them stay up later because they have no commitments during the day ie. they don't have to be fresh for school.

My son is 9 and goes to bed at 8 on school nights. As with you, less worried on holidays/weekends. Usually its 9/10 on holidays, depending on what we have been doing/what time he got up. Nothing worse than a grouchy child the next day. There is no way he would be playing out past 8 on a school night. Mean or not, my sons education comes first and its proven fact that children with less sleep do not perform to their full abilities, nor do they remember half of what they have done. Sending a tired child to school is like only sending them for half the day. Its not down to you to care for the neighbour hoods children, its down to you to care for yours x

New school year and we've had this talk again with my eldest son who thinks that he should be allowed up later. My es is 11 nearly 12 and has been going to bed up until the start of September at 8.30pm. Now that he's in secondary school he thinks he should be allowed up later. we agreed on 9pm however its harder getting him up in the mornings so we may have to review it. DD is 2yrs and goes to bed at 6.45pm, while ys whos 1yr goes at 6.30. I know my sons friends go to bed much later but as ive told him, I do whats best for him and I don't care if his friends get to run the streets until 2am, my rules apply here.

I picked DS(9) up from his friends at 7:30 last night, and said while i was there, its home, shower and bed time. His friends mum was shocked that he went to bed at 8. I said yes, but he does get up at 7, irrelivant of what time he goes to bed, to which she replied, oh i have to fight him out of bed at 8:15! Ive been late getting up to go out, washed my face and chucked myself out of the door, and generally those are the days you arent with it untill midday. Thats no way to send a child off to school!

your children in thier age groups need any where from 10- 12 hours of sleep a night
You are the best judge of what time
https://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children
Shows you how much time your child needs to sleep on a daily basis
My kids all go to bed at 8 oclock and we all have to get up at 6
My 10 (almost 11 year old) follows the same scedual because he isnt yet showing that he dosnt NEED the same amount of sleep
Even with 10 hours of sleep my daughter (6) will still come home from school sometimes and fall asleep but we have to be careful not to let her sleep too long so she can still sleep at night
I on the other hand never sleep enough hahaha

mya goes to be at 8pm sometime half 7 depends on whether she is tired earlier, we do it that way so she gets to spend time with adam before she goes to bed as he gets back at half 6 it works for us :) it will more than likely stay that way until secondary school in which me and adam will decide what time is expectable then :)

I went to boarding school and we all had set bed times, even the yr11s.

Our youngest boarders were in Yr3 (ages 7-8) and they went to bed at 8pm. It went up in 15 minute increments until you got yr10 when they went to bed at 10.15 and the yr11s at 10.30. When I started in Yr7 I was 12 and going to bed at 9pm. I think this is pretty structured, especially when you consider that at the moment Earl is in bed between 6.30 and 7 every night at the moment, and I can't see that changing until he goes to school when it may becoem 7-7.30 just because of time for dinner, play, homework, bath and reading.

To the OP - nope, I think they're good bedtimes! :thumbup:

my two 4yr olds, 2yr old and 1yr old go to bed at 6, jenson(6months) between 7 and 8 and the others by 9pm on a school night, even my 13yr old

My 3 and 1yr old go at 6:30 and my 5yr old goes about 7:30 .. baby goes about 8:30.. but we all up between 5:30 and 6:30.. the need this kind of sleep. plus i enjoy the quiet time.. until i nod off about 9:30 after the hoovering/washing/ironin etc done lol

People have often bitched at me that I'm a bad mother because my 12 yr old son has always had a bedtime of 7.30pm, but its gone up a bit now. He goes at 7.45 to read a bit then lights off at 8.

All 3 of mine go to bed around 9pm. By 8pm they have to come home if they are playing outside and 8.30pm they go to bathroom to prepare going to sleep. By 9pm they are ready, I read them a bedtime story and then it's night for them.
I think that 7pm or 8pm is way too early to send them to bed, 9pm is good for everybody.

My 7yo goes to bed at 7.30, my 10yo at 8.30, my 13yo goes at 9.00(but is rarely asleep before 10.00), and my 14yo doesn't have a bedtime but he choses to go to sleep at about 10.00.
I think that you have your times spot on, children need sleep to help them grow and develop properly.

My child is 6 and he usually goes to bed between 7.30-8pm on schood nights, we read a book and have a cuddle and it's nice. I find that the later he stays up the naughtier and sillier his behaviour gets so that time is good for us all. In the school holidays and weekends he usually stays up later though :)

I send the girls up to bed at 6pm :lol: So no not too early :)

Lily aged 1 goes at 7
ethan age 3 goes 7:30
katie aged 10 goes 8:30
jake 15 goes at 9

Grace is almost 6 and goes to bed at 7pm. We read a story and then the light goes out. I check at 7:30pm and she's already asleep. I agree that sleep is very important for children xx

i would say your timings are spot on,maybe let them stay up half hour later on weekend or holidays but sounds like your doing a stand up job.My son is 7 hes being going bed at 7pm since he was 4,but i've stretched it to half 7/8pm now if hes good.

My son who is 12 goes to bed between 8.30 - 9pm...he rarely goes to sleep before then but I dont let him stay up beyond then

i have the same times for simular ages

5 yr old at 7
9yr old at 8
12 yr old at 9

on a school night that is, on a weekend the eldest doesnt have a bedtime and the others i just put to bed about an hour or so after the weekday time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->