Do kids grow up too quickly?

supernurse

Mum of 2 beautiful girls
Reaction score
Just as the thread asks, these days do you find that your kids are growing up way too quick.

Rachel is only 8 1/2 years old but she acts like a teenager, I don't know if it's because she is mature for her age or what, but it scares me.
She refuses to play with things like her bratz, barbies e.g. or anything that involves pretend/make believe play. She turns her nose up at things I think a girl of that age she like. When we were at Disney World the parade involved getting the kids on the side to join in the singing and dancing but she turned her nose up at it like she was too old for that stuff. She talks to me with complete attitude like she is a teenager, I never back chatted the way she does at that age. Her friend (same age) came round the other day and wanted to play with her my little ponies but Rachel told her they were for babies.
Maybe I'm just living in the dark ages but I think this could be a problem as the years go on with her thinking she is older than she is and wanting to do things that she can't do.

What do you guys think. x

Most definitely do, hon.

I look back and I remember playing with my barbies and dolls at 12. Now that stage goes at 8 or 9.

Everything seems to have changed since when I was a kid, and more and more younger kids are trying to act more grown up. I think a lot has to do with peer pressure.

it absolutely has. I blame it on computers, video games and tv. My step daughter is 11 but acts like a 15 year old. She doesn't play with dolls or anything. She'd rather play on the computer all night and msn chat with her buddies. When I was 11 I was still playing with barbies.. we also used to go for bikerides all over!!
But as well it could be that their school is far away and they have no friends close to home so no one to play with. All of Destinys friends are on the other side of the city where they used to live.
I just don't get why children don't have a childhood anymore. THey all want to grow up so fast :( I hope Angelynn is like how I was when I was a young girl. When she starts going to school i'm going to make sure it's close to home so she has friends to play with anytime..

Wow she's like that at 8! :shock:

Kids are even different now than we were and I'm only 21. Actually you know what, when I was in High School there was grades 10-12 in my school. When we were in grade 12 I could notice a difference in how we acted in grade 10 and how the grade 10s at the time were acting. They acted like they were the seniors, the little sneaks :rofl:

I don't know why they think its so uncool to be a kid. The stuff that kids/young teens are into now, I wouldn't have dreamed of doing! I sincerely hope Renah isn't like this, I don't want her to jump into all the crap that comes with being a teenager/adult too soon.

I know.. kids have cell phones and they're like 10 and 11. I didn't get one until I was 16, lol. Some of the things my friends and I were doing when we were 12 & 13 makes me sick, kids that age seem so young looking back now.. :(

I definitely think they do, I didn't quit playing with my toys until jeez, when I was about 11 years old maybe, could have been later. I think the media has a lot to do with it, all these "teen idols" out today, these kids just idolize. I wish they would just stick to being kids, instead of trying to grow up too fast. :(

All the styles of clothes dont help either, they are all aimed at grown up ages.
heeled shoes, skimpy clothes for girls.
Yep they grow up too soon! Try to attract the wrong sort of attention which they think is cool.

I have to agree kids grow up way to fast.
But i also think its where you live. I was a right kid when i lived in Australia i grew up there, always playing outdoors , everything possible a kids could loved, moved to England when i was 10 and BAM, Everyone was different to me acted much older. Instead of giggling over the word 'bras' :rolleyes: everyone was talking about what bra they had one , what boy they were going to date ect ect.
It bloody scared me as i was still a kid. Unfortunalty i grew up way to fast , and lost my virginty very young and did some awful stuff a kid should never do.

All because i wanted to fit in :( I can remember everything to this day)

Sorry for the life story , i just pray my children dont turn out like this :(

definately agree, nicole is 5 and sometimes its like talking to a teenager. I think when she is actually a teen i will be running away!!

Not all kids do tho, my sis is 20 and she still acts like a 10yr old sometimes and my 13yr old sister still plays with littlest pet shop and stuff like that, which i think is really nice. Mind you 2 of my friends have 10-11 yr old daughters and they are going to spray tan them for their school christmas parties, which i totally disagree with, why do they need a false tan at that age?!!!

Mind you 2 of my friends have 10-11 yr old daughters and they are going to spray tan them for their school christmas parties, which i totally disagree with, why do they need a false tan at that age?!!!

I agree, but is it the kids asking for it or the mothers influence.

Anyone who watched eastenders tonight, that's what I'm scared of, a 12 year old thinking that their old enough to do things they ain't supposed to be doing!!!

Mind you 2 of my friends have 10-11 yr old daughters and they are going to spray tan them for their school christmas parties, which i totally disagree with, why do they need a false tan at that age?!!!

I agree, but is it the kids asking for it or the mothers influence.

Anyone who watched eastenders tonight, that's what I'm scared of, a 12 year old thinking that their old enough to do things they ain't supposed to be doing!!!

i think its probably a bit of both!! no way will nicole be having spray tans at that age!!

Girls do seem to grow up much faster than boys.
I can see the differences in my son and his friends who are 12 and girls that age.

Katie is 9 next month and doesnt play with toys and wants her hair coloured which i wont allow but shes far too old for her age !

oh yes they defo do i have 3 step children, ryan is 12 and paige is 11 and caitlyn is 9

paige is like an 18 year old, she wears make up to school, straightens her hair, everything item of clothing has to co ordinate, she shouldnt care about these things but she does! she has quiet thick eye brows and has been asking me to pluck them for months,( yes i finally agreed)
i dont think the goverment have help at all, by putting them in just 2 schools, primary then high school, thats why i have plucked paiges eyebrows she gets so self consious because the older girls do it and they have been sniggering at her thick eye brows, i couldnt see her be mentally tortured by older girls. she doesnt play with any sort of toys, it is becoming more and more difficult to buy her things without making her an adult, before her time but wat do you do we cant force then to stay babies, but prolong they youth, my OH hates how fast she is growing up, she is his little princess! she will come out with things like im just gonna wash up, i say leave it paige ill do it later , shes no i need something to occupy my mind, occupy your bloody mind girly, your 11 wats on it that you need to occupy it tut tut,

sorry for the essay i think that was a rant fro me :(

Serina i don't blame you 9 is definitely too early for coloring hair.

And yes they grow up so fast and sometimes they think they are bigger than us :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->