Do most peple have healthy savings before TTC?

catty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend have just bought a home and are starting to get a little bit of money in savings together, we aren't using protection but not actively trying either and would be happy if it happened this year or if it takes a bit longer as were just beginning.

I was just wondering what is a good amount of money to have saved, i no there is never a 'right' time but would like to have enough money that i could possibly work part time after baby is born and think i would need a bit of savings to use throughout maternity leave.

Just wondering if most people do this or just go with the flow.

I think it's always smart to save up a little bit before having a child but essentially you will always work with what you have. I believe in going with the flow and everything else will work out =)

Agree with above post- no one can ever be completely prepared for a baby but savings could help. Even though things will most likely work out either way- it'd be nice not having to worry about money issues!xx

I think as long you are not both unemployed or have only 300$ in the bank you should be fine. Like others said, a little bit of saving sure will help, but I there is not a set amount either. You just have to go with what feels right for you. :)

I think it's wise to always have a bit of savings in any case but I wouldn't worry about a set amount of money. It's rather depressing when you read articles saying how much money you need to raise a child. It sounds so insurmountable. I think a good idea is to try and have enough in savings to cover a few months of living expenses in case you lose your job or whatever and go from there. Otherwise, you'll never have enough money to start having kids. By that I mean, if you wait to have the money these articles say you should have it will never happen. Unless you're already rich.

Maybe start looking for sales and deals on baby furniture...not to buy....but to have a good idea what is out there and what it will cost. Maybe talk to other moms to see what items are actual needs and what are luxury items. And baby showers/gifts help A LOT. We were lucky and didn't have to buy a fair chunk of the big ticket items.

Also, practicing frugal spending in other areas of your life will give you more wiggle room for diapers and such.

We don't have a lot of money, but we have good reliable income. We are working hard to pay off our unsecured debt in the next 11 months, so if we ever needed more money we could just temporarily reduce the payments to float more money.

Once we get those CCs paid off, we will have a lot more available income.

We've just bought a house and are doing our best to pay as much off the principal as possible while we're on dual incomes before a little one comes along. We wont have any real savings so to speak- but at least the mortgage will be at a more managable level while we're just on Dh's salary.

We waited till we had a couple months worth of living expenses. Babies are expensive, but if you're willing to bargain hunt, and buy second-hand, it's a lot more affordable.

We kept saying that we would have a bunch in savings but it never happened...we had a little, most of which went to paying the doc before delivery. It's never the perfect time financially to have a baby, so as long as you think you can float the time off work and extra cost it's ok :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->