do pets know?

Coopers_mummy

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
This might sound strange to some people but... over the past week or two my cat has become overly clingy and possessive of me. She is usually so free willed and independent but now wont leave me alone. She is on my lap now before I even sit down comfortably. If I male her get off she just gets back on. She follows me everywhere even to the point that when I go to the bathroom she sits outside the door and waits for me to come out. She isnt like it with anyone else. She has also got a bit possessive in the fact she gets moody if I have a cuddle with my partner usually ending in a scratch or bite. Not nasty more of a warning. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experianced this and then found out they are pregnant. We have been NTNP for a year now and she has never been like this. Could I be pregnant and she is sensing it or could she be lonely?

could be, animal sense of smell is 10000 times better than human, they have literally tens of thousands of nerve terminations in their noses more than us! so it could be that the cats picked up on subtle hormonal changes in you simply by SMELLING them!

I say some animals do. I have a beautiful, but aunry cat named Buddy. He hardly ever wants to be touched and isn't the type to follow you around needy. But now he follows me around everywhere. I was picking onions and he would just roll over on them and act cute. He also hid behind my legs when my stepdad came out to mow, he usually just runs. He finds it necessary to be up in my business almost all the time.

Aw, that's cute!
My cat hasn't acted differently since I found out I was pregnant. He's always pretty clingy!
And by the way, I find it adorable when they wait outside the door for you :) Whenever I shower he sits on the mat and the second I open the curtain he's in the bath with me!

I've heard of pets that at totally different though, when you're sad, they comfort more, they do pick up on stuff, sometimes better than humans <3

Bless your pets. My cat usuallu ignores me alot. She is a bengal so not much of a cat anyway. If you want a cuddle usually she looks at you in utter disgust and walks away and sits as far away from me as she can. Now she wont leave my side. She follows me into each room and lays down when I walk out she gets uo and follows :/ thinking maybe I shoulf do a test. Would be crazy if I was preg now lol

I've heard it supposed to be this way. However, if my cats know anything they are pissed about the whole thing and ignore my pregnancy in a very insulting way! They were indifferent in my 2ww, my first trimester and now in my second trimester they continue to snub my bump!

I believe they do. When I was pregnant with DS, I still lived at home with my parents. We had a cat growing up (I had him from the age of 2), who was mostly my brother's cat, but after he moved out, our cat kind of kept to himself. He would only really be around if I, or anyone in the house was sick. He was called an english comfort cat.

Anyway, when I became pregnant, he started to sleep on my bed, as well as cuddle with me when I sat on the couch. He also used to sit on my lap once I started to get a bump and lay right under the bump, curled up to it.

When I was pregnant with DD, my rottweiler (Carly) would growl and nip at my DH's hands if he gave me a hug, trying to pull his hands off of me. We thought it was cute and funny at first but my DH had to tell her "NO" very sternly so she would get that her behavior wasn't appropriate. She calmed down eventually around my DH but she was extremely protective of me. When we went on walks she would growl at anyone who tried to approach me. She was actually the reason I took a pregnancy test to begin with, because she was acting so weird and wouldn't leave my side. :haha:

YES! My dog (German Shepherd) has become even more clingy and attention seeking! He is even more stuck to my side! I think he knows!

When I was pregnant with DD, my rottweiler (Carly) would growl and nip at my DH's hands if he gave me a hug, trying to pull his hands off of me. We thought it was cute and funny at first but my DH had to tell her "NO" very sternly so she would get that her behavior wasn't appropriate. She calmed down eventually around my DH but she was extremely protective of me. When we went on walks she would growl at anyone who tried to approach me. She was actually the reason I took a pregnancy test to begin with, because she was acting so weird and wouldn't leave my side. :haha:

Aw, that's so cute! (and scary to someone from the outside!)
Very protective of you :)

I love rottweilers, I don't know much about their personality, but they're a beautiful dog!

All these kitty stories are so cute <3.

We dont have any pets (apart from guinea pigs) but we see my dads dog every day and she seems to come and jump on my knee as soon as we sit down, but to be honest she doesnt have chance to act differently with me with Alex around lol.

When I was pregnant with Alex, my MIL's dog would lie on me throughout my pregnancy when she wouldn't normally bother.

From what I hear, animals will likely know before you ever do. The only way to know for sure is to take a test though.

I'm 10.5 weeks, and my cat hasn't changed his behaviour one bit, just as bratty as ever.

I thought this was interesting. It talked about cats all over you and cats that turn away from you during pregnancy

https://www.pregnancy-info.net/pets_pregnancy.html

Well if my dogs know they haven't let on lol

I think they do. Before we told people we were expecting we were round at my brother in laws and his Staffordshire bull terrier who usually runs around like a total nutter just came and sat by my feet, the only time he moved was to climb onto my lap and rest his head on my belly. My brother in law kept calling him but he would not budge, everyone kept saying he was behaving really strangely and couldn't understand why until we told everyone a few weeks later xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->