Do September Babies Have an Advantage?

Im a september baby and i hate it.I had longer in school that my friends. I started nursary with the people in the year above me but had to stay there for an extra year. I was nearly 17 when i left secondary school yet some of my friends had just turned 16. I was 18 first so i had to wait months to be able to go out.

And TBH im not any smarter than my friends, we were in the same set's at school and there birthdays range from febuary to june. But i am more mature and have more common sence.

When I went to infants school I could swear that they did two intakes, one in September and one in March for the younger kids. I wonder if any still do that?

I swear they did that at my age too, I remember my mum saying we were starting school after Easter. Then I remember some more kids being added to our class, and they ended up in the year below us (I remember because I made friends with one of them and then he was put in the year below and I cried lol).

And TBH im not any smarter than my friends, we were in the same set's at school and there birthdays range from febuary to june. But i am more mature and have more common sence.

I'm February and my friends in school were all a few months older than me and I was smarter and more sensible than all of them! :rofl:

I suppose at an early age a few months can make a difference - of course as babies we see a few weeks makes a difference - but I doubt that by 16 and exam age those months will really matter. They'll still have had the same length of time in school even if it took a little to settle in initially.

I'm a september baby, my bday was saturday just gone :)

I remember my mum fought to get me in the earlier intake coz I was a January baby. Most schools have one intake now. As a teacher of the smaller ones I can definitely say that we make every effort to give each child a chance to learn at their own speed, and have 'interventions' to help push them on. I am however hoping for a Autumn/Winter baby. Some children find it really hard if they are Summer babies.

Don't know. In Alabama the cut off date is Oct. 1st and in some schools they even go by 6 month increments to determine which class the child would be better suited for.

I'm a jan baby and loved it. I definately didn't feel disadvantaged by it. My daughter is a sep baby :)

I'm an August baby, so one of the youngest, I did well in school :)

As an (ex) teacher i agree that the level of higher achievement is skewed towards those born september to december, with the lower ability children generally being the younger ones. Of course this isnt 100% true for every child: in my final class, the brightest child was also the youngest! But, as a general rule, i have found it to be true!

I think it probably evens out as the years go on, but it is still evidenced in high school. By this point tho, i wonder if they achieve less because they have lower expectations of themselves, from having lower ability at the beginning, and not actually because of any age related statistics??

I would prefer a September baby, but im not going to avoid ttc around the "wrong" dates!

As an (ex) teacher i agree that the level of higher achievement is skewed towards those born september to december, with the lower ability children generally being the younger ones. Of course this isnt 100% true for every child: in my final class, the brightest child was also the youngest! But, as a general rule, i have found it to be true!

I think it probably evens out as the years go on, but it is still evidenced in high school. By this point tho, i wonder if they achieve less because they have lower expectations of themselves, from having lower ability at the beginning, and not actually because of any age related statistics??

I would prefer a September baby, but im not going to avoid ttc around the "wrong" dates!

This is exactly how I feel about it. I'd like to have a September baby, but it's not going to stop me TTC later this month. It may take a while, so it might work out that way anyway, who knows...

Here the youngest in the class would be born Dec 31 and the oldest would be born Jan 1...

I was always a high acheiver in school and born October 31.. so 10 months younger than the potential "oldest" of the class. I actually had the highest average of my grade for awhile! I was really shy when I started school (I was 3 FFS going to school everyday!).. but my then BFF was also shy and born March 4. That's the only difference I can personally see with myself :) Personally I think going to school at THREE is awful, sure I turned four 2 months into the school year but I was still just a baby iykwim!

But then my sister is born Dec 30 and has a lower maturity level than most of her classmates and is just a big selfish idiot without a care in the world :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->