Do these sound like ants?

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi. I have found three little bugs in my house over the past couple of days. First one was sitting on my daughters stool in the living room, second one was sitting on the cupboard door in the kitchen and third one was walking across the sofa in the living room, whilst I was sat on it! There could be more but the carpet in living room is dark blue so can't really tell! I am so freaked out I hate creepy crawlies :cry:
We have had ants before when we lived in the uk and they were small and black. These do look like ants but they look kinda different, they are very small, have straight bodies, wings I think, but the colour of them is weird (their bodies) they are sort of black but also sort of see through :wacko:

We are living in army quarters and have not lived here very long, so no idea where they could be getting in or anything!

I am so freaked out about getting infested with them, especially since I am pregnant I don't want to have ants when we have a small baby in the house :( I try to make sure the house is clean but with a toddler it is very hard to make sure every crumb is picked up!

Really hope someone can help me!

Have you spoken to any of your neighbours to see if it is just a common bug for the area? If you're worried call MHS, they will deal with it if it is an infestation you won't have to pay, but they might be able to tell you if it is just a common bug for the area xx

Doesn't really sound like ants - could be carpet beetles? As you're in army quarters is there not a department to report the problem and they can sort it out?

Fortunately most infestations in the home aren't disease carrying so as creepy as creepy crawlies are they aren't exactly dirty or a worrying health hazard. It's more the unpleasantness and your soft furnishings getting eaten etc.

Has anyone got any bites? Do you have any pets?

Fleas don't normally sit still very long but the description sounds like it could be them. Its not really like time for ants. Maybe have a little google about and see if you can see anything that looks similar.

You can have ants at this time of the year. I have had them in my bathroom in the winter and in my kitchen too.
They definetly don't sound like ants by your description. I would google to find pictures. If you cant, kill one put it into a container and take it a pest control like rentokil or just try and find out what it is from your specimin.

You can have ants at this time of the year. I have had them in my bathroom in the winter and in my kitchen too.
They definetly don't sound like ants by your description. I would google to find pictures. If you cant, kill one put it into a container and take it a pest control like rentokil or just try and find out what it is from your specimin.

Really? I've always just assumed they die out when it gets cold! Learn something new every day :)

Yes, i was shocked. I think they can have nests under the house and if its warm enough they can hatch. We had them last year in our toilet around xmas time after a cold snap, which surprised me so much as there isnt any food in there!! Seemingly they are attracted to toothpaste and sources of water. We had them in our kitchen in the previous year but havent had any this year..fingers crossed!

I don't think they are fleas. We don't have any pets. I have talked to my neighbour and she said she had ants in the summer. I have been doing lots of googling and it sounds like it could be termites? Apparently these are just like tiny ants?

Haven't seen any more today *touch wood*

Ugh can't stand creepy crawlies I feel so uncomfortable sitting in my home! Xx

Doesn't really sound like ants - could be carpet beetles? As you're in army quarters is there not a department to report the problem and they can sort it out?

Fortunately most infestations in the home aren't disease carrying so as creepy as creepy crawlies are they aren't exactly dirty or a worrying health hazard. It's more the unpleasantness and your soft furnishings getting eaten etc.

Omg what is a carpet beetle? Just the name of it scares me haha.

are termites not just a type of ant? I dont think we have them in this country...but i might be wrong!

Carpet beetles are very common and fairly harmless - a big infestation could chomp through a lot of carpet. Have a google and see if they look like what you've seen. There are a lot of pretty generic beetles in the home so it's probably nothing. If you can catch one tho your local council will probably come out and ID it for you for a small fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->