• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we actually need the Royal family?

In Spain we have an awful Royal Family, where the king's son in law has been robbing from a charity :wacko: His wife has now announced she is going to go and live in Switzerland, she is hardly staying with a country that is going through a strong crisis.

We have scholarships, grants, student loans and the amount universities can charge is capped per year.

Not to mention the Prince's trust......

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/about_the_trust/our_history.aspx

Prince Charles dedicates a lot of time to the organisation, set up to help disadvantaged young people.

And the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. https://www.dofe.org/go/history/

We don't need a royal family and I personally think the country would be a lot better without it. They encourage people to be politically apathetic, misty-eyed and nostalgic about the country when, really, there's a lot that needs fixing.

They may remind us of our history, but they also represent all that is bad about the history of our country: the richest constantly taking advantage of the poor, a small minority of individuals enjoying unearned wealth and privilege, secretive networks of unelected old boys' clubs with far too much political influence and the repugnant class system.

The Queen has far more political power and influence than people are aware of. I expect people would feel less benevolent towards her if the actual level of her interference in politics was public knowledge.

Republics may seem "boring" to some people, but the people lucky enough to live in these countries enjoy far better rights (like actual having their rights actually enshrined in written constitutions) and are far more engaged in politics. They also have higher voting turnouts.

You always hear the argument "I don't want a president Blair/Brown/Cameron etc.", implying that the only alternative to having a monarchy is a US-style political system, completely ignoring the political systems of our closest neighbours like the Republic of Ireland, which has a ceremonial head of state in its president.

We don't need a royal family and I personally think the country would be a lot better without it. They encourage people to be politically apathetic, misty-eyed and nostalgic about the country when, really, there's a lot that needs fixing.

They may remind us of our history, but they also represent all that is bad about the history of our country: the richest constantly taking advantage of the poor, a small minority of individuals enjoying unearned wealth and privilege, secretive networks of unelected old boys' clubs with far too much political influence and the repugnant class system.

The Queen has far more political power and influence than people are aware of. I expect people would feel less benevolent towards her if the actual level of her interference in politics was public knowledge.

Republics may seem "boring" to some people, but the people lucky enough to live in these countries enjoy far better rights (like actual having their rights actually enshrined in written constitutions) and are far more engaged in politics. They also have higher voting turnouts.

You always hear the argument "I don't want a president Blair/Brown/Cameron etc.", implying that the only alternative to having a monarchy is a US-style political system, completely ignoring the political systems of our closest neighbours like the Republic of Ireland, which has a ceremonial head of state in its president.

The Queen doesn't interfere in politics,it's Charles who they are worried about as HE does...

The Queen doesn't interfere in politics,it's Charles who they are worried about as HE does...
What are you basing that on?

Interesting article: https://britishrepublicanblog.org/2013/05/18/the-queens-power-2/ and many more on the subject if you care to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->