Do we have sexist beliefs when it comes to serious crime?

marley2580

Reaction score
I was just reading the thread on Maxine Carr in GC and it occurred to me (not for the first time) that society seems to have some real sexist double standards when it comes to female criminals. For example, Maxine Carr was never accused of murder, just providing a false alibi, yet so many people believe she should never have been allowed out and would take 'revenge' on her if her identity wasn't protected.

Myra Hindley committed some awful crimes, but Brady was worse, yet Hindley was the one that was reviled and hated more.

So does anyone think that society has double standards when it comes to female criminals? Do we demonise women that have committed terrible crimes because we think that men can be expected to do things like that, but women should be nurturers and carers? I'm inclined to say yes myself, but what do others think?

yes. I can imagine if a woman committed a crime and a man did what Carr did, people are less likely bat an eye, and if he had custody, they may not think much of it. but I cant really predict how people respond unless I have some real examples.

other sexist behaviors: if the child stay with the dad and it is a mess, they would brush it off and say he is just being a man. I believe both party is responsible for the child's well being rather they live together or not.

I have met several guys who hate women because how they were treated (especially by their mother). I would like to ask them, if it was the man, like their father who treated them that way, would they hate men(or their own kind)? More likely not.

I think the most recent example i can think of is that guy who won on red or black no-one batted an eye when they thought it was just some drunken brawl with another man but when they found out hed attacked his girlfriend there was a huge scandal with people saying he should have his winnings taken off him.

So yes I think that there is a lot of sexism

Definatly sexism within criminals. You just find it hard for a woman to commit such vile offences against children.
Are we not all meant to have this 'mothering instinct' ??
How could a woman go against everything mother nature tells her not to do??
Seems that in most cases it for the love of the monster committing the crime. Both crimes in my eyes are equal, keeping quiet or being involved are just as bad as the major offence.

Anyone remember the woman who worked at the nursery who took indecent photos of the children for her lover?

There's a case in Leicester where I live where a mum has been arrested for killing her 7 month old on Sunday evening. Listening to the story my first thought was possible PND, had it been a man I'd think he was a vile monster. Strangly sexist?!

Definitely, especially when it comes to crimes against children i think. You just naturally associate a woman with being motherly and protective and when you read anything saying otherwise it really shocks you. Even more so now I am a mother myself I feel sick when I read about cases against children, by either man or woman but when it's a woman it just makes me feel so sad. For example , I just read up on Mary Bell as she was mentioned in the MC thread and I was stunned. How could she? But then again how could anyone?

It's the same with domestic violence though. Shit example but on Jeremy Kyle if a guy says a woman's hit him it's kinda like an unspoken reaction whereas if a woman comes out and says the man hit her it immediately casts a dark cloud on the man and the audience etc take an immediate disliking to him!

It's a funny way the world works!

I remember hearing from one of my tutors that most paedophiles are actually women not men as is greatly perceived.

Definitely, especially when it comes to crimes against children i think. You just naturally associate a woman with being motherly and protective and when you read anything saying otherwise it really shocks you. Even more so now I am a mother myself I feel sick when I read about cases against children, by either man or woman but when it's a woman it just makes me feel so sad. For example , I just read up on Mary Bell as she was mentioned in the MC thread and I was stunned. How could she? But then again how could anyone?

It's the same with domestic violence though. Shit example but on Jeremy Kyle if a guy says a woman's hit him it's kinda like an unspoken reaction whereas if a woman comes out and says the man hit her it immediately casts a dark cloud on the man and the audience etc take an immediate disliking to him!
It's a funny way the world works!

^
That is so true.

I remember hearing from one of my tutors that most paedophiles are actually women not men as is greatly perceived.

I've never heard that.. find it hard to believe honestly.

Well its like the case with the women taking poctures for their boyfriend women have more/easier access to children by having thier own and being the mother in most situations they are the primary carer or working in childcare people always think male nursrey nurses are suspicious so the majority are female.

and in cases where they have been abused its not just men who pass the behaviour on its women too.

I was shocked when I heard it as well but when you think like that it makes sense to me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->