Do you barter???

lau86

Reaction score
I've heard lots of times that prices for things like cars, holidays even clothes aren't fixed and you can barter them down. I'd be quite interested to have a go at this! Has anyone done it and how much did you get off??

I don't (except on holiday at marketplaces, then I really enjoy haggling) but my ex's dad does. He got 100 euros off a washing machine for me!

My OH does and it makes me so embarrassed. He always gets something free put in too.

I on the other hand don't as I would feel ashamed. He just goes in and asks for a price (say a TV) and if it's £1890, he will go, I have £1500 to pay right now, take it or leave it' :dohh: more often than not they will take it but I just couldn't do that!

I work in a sales industry that designs kitchens and people push and push and think you have all kinds of power and you dont. You have a margain that you have to sell at or you make a loss and cant go lower on. I hate it when people make you feel like shit and youre lying to them when you say its your lowest.

I don't do it but OH does.

It depends on the item - we paid around £600 for our tv so we didn't bother with that but i'm pretty sure that if it's been over £1000 we would of.
We got our washing machine for £530 8 years ago and i remember at the time that OH knocked them down on price - only by £20 but every penny counted when we first got married.

We also recently bought a car - it was advertised at the Mazda garage for £8500 and i think we ended up paying £7999 for it. Quite pleased with that one.

I would never expect a high street store for clothes to reduce clothes down - unless you were talking about a bespoke clothes designer and you were going to be sending a lot of money there.

I always leave OH to it - i cannot stand there and watch him haggle with people lol.

Once in a while, I'll do it on items I know for a fact that can be bartered down. For example in furniture stores that finance people, you can toss them a price telling them you'll pay in full today and carry. When it comes to cars, I bring my father with me.

Now on brand name items sold in shops, department stores, etc...I do not try to talk down a price. It's not necessary and those corporations run end of season offers anyways.

I did alot of bartering when I was planning my wedding. Food, Mobile toilets, material for decoration.

I also got £300 knocked off the honeymoon. I wouldnt do it in a normal retail shop though, Id just wait for a sale or use a cashback website like quidco.

I tried at wembley market & failed miserably :dohh:
Me - "can you do them for £15?"
Market guy - "no"
Me - "ok ill take them anyways"

Lol

Cx

I sometimes get a burst of confidence to haggle but am usually too embarrassed to... if I'm buying a large item I'll try and get something extra thrown in or reduced.

My mum was the master at getting money off things :flow:

Its never crossed my mind to.
But Ive worked at next and at Bonmarche and the clothes there were a fixed price. The only way I could change the price on the till would be if I clicked the discountbutton and if I did that I would need a reason and another member of staffs authorisation. I think clothes are a fixed price in retail shops.

If I'm selling something however I try to get as much as I can for it. So when I had an old phone I sold it to the second hand phone shop and he wanted to give me £40 but I asked for £50 but got £45 instead lol.

I do, it doesn't harm to try. Branded items have Un announced discounts. Like Dior for example, I got 20% off Dior shoes. They didn't have a sale but when when i asked for it they gave it to me, I also bought 4 watches that were on 50% discount. I liked a pair of sunglasses that wasn't on offer, but when I asked for a discount, they gave me 15% management discount in addition to two free branded key rings & a free Perfume as I spent a huge amount of the watches.

I ask for discount when I buy jewelry, watches, branded shoes & handbags & I always get a discount or a free gift.

I also ask for a discount from small furniture shops (not chain shops), insurance (so good at it, I contact several companies & I keep sending the quotes to all of them until I get the best price), if they can't give me more discounts, they offer me more benefits like free rent a car, lower excess, breakdown roads assistance, etc. I go with the best package I receive.

When I book a hotel room, if I can't get any discount, I ask for a confirmed late checkout before booking.

When we bought our car (agency car) I spent over 2 hours negotiating the price, I got a good one with a life warranty as long as I own the car & a free insurance.

Wow omars mum you sound like the queen of haggling! I was thinking I'd love to have a go especially for a holiday but I don't think I'd have the guts!

I dont, i just know i couldnt do it lol ..

I dont really.

I had a maths tutor at college who said if you pay cash always offer 10% less especially on cars or holidays :haha:

My hubby barters for everything like that, he loves it!!

Wow omars mum you sound like the queen of haggling! I was thinking I'd love to have a go especially for a holiday but I don't think I'd have the guts!

I worked in procurement & administration, so it was my job to negotiate prices & quotes :rofl:

My friend is off possibly buying a 2nd hand car just now - she hates the idea of haggling but has taken another friend with her who knows about cars and will try and knock the price down if at all possible! I'll let you all know how they get on :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->