Do you cook from scratch every night?

Gosh no! I cook from scratch a lot - But I use the slow cooker tonnes. The other day we bought £40 worth of meat, which will pretty much last the month. So far from that we've made:

Sausage casserole,
TONNES of bacon (for sandwiches/chicken meals)
2 Whole chickens
4 pork joints (For pulled pork or pork dinners in slow cooker)
8 pork chops (for dinners)
Minted Lamb Chops
Sirloin Steaks (For steak and chips)
Chicken Breasts - For curries/wraps/fajitas etc

But then other times - We do have takeaway. Once a week really, and we go out to dinner every other weekend. Sometimes more. We also sometimes have fish fingers and oven chips etc - Riley's a terrible eater. He loves waffles and things like that, which help when he's having a bad day. x

We do but I enjoy cooking. We also just started with helloe fresh boxes and I am enjoying cooking even more. I batch cook so on the days there's no time to cook, we have stuff precooked already. We even make pizza rather than use frozen because it tastes sooo delicious and is really minimal effort. But I will say we have it pretty good from a time point of view. Both me and my husband work from home so it's easier to find the time go prep ect. We eat takeout at least once a week too and eat out with the kids at the weekend

Yes we do unless eating out. We purposefully don't buy any ready meal type things. I'm lucky though my husband loves to cook. We freeze leftovers and also use them for lunches at work so rarely even eat sandwiches etc.

We use our slow cooker a lot and also eat a lot of Asian food as it's healthy, tasty and quick to make.

I have to make everything from scratch because I avoid so many added ingredients and regular foods. I am used to it and pretty fast now. :)

We even make pizza rather than use frozen because it tastes sooo delicious and is really minimal effort.
I gotta know how you make pizza because I LOVE homemade pizza, but it always takes me SO long to make! Making dough for crust, making sauce, cooking the meat, grating cheese and chopping veggies - it takes forever just for the prep, then it takes more time for assembly and baking! I'd love tips to make it faster :)

Almost always, we have some cook books with each recipe 30 minutes or less.
We sit down and make a meal plan for the week and stick to it.

Usually yes. I've been slacking recently due to tiredness and not having an appetite in the evening. Trying to get back into the swing of it though!

No lol

Tonight if we all feel well (tummy bug may be on it's way) we would have chicken breasts or something (I'm out of potatoes) and I do things like meatloaf, slow cooker meals etc... but some nights a frozen pizza or a skillet sensation thingie work just great!

You could also use those portion bags (if you have them where you are) so you can freeze meats in single sized servings, then you can take out a chicken breast, small amount of hamburger, a pork chop etc... and cook them up how you like them. Instead of meat loaf in a loaf pan, make them in muffin tins and top with a bit of mashes potatoes, cheese and chives :)
Chicken breast baked with salsa and cheese on top is very yummy too! I just may do that tonight now :haha: Serve with rice or roast potatoes.. You could also make your own pasta sauce and freeze in muffin tins, then pop them into a large ziploc bag, single sized portions for pasta :)

I do, we don't buy ready or frozen meals, we don't even buy ready sauces. I prepare something new everyday, even if it's only a salad or a side dish when we have leftovers

Most of the time, but sometimes it is something quick like scrambled eggs or grilled cheese with salad. We have a frozen pizza probably once a week.

Most nights - I'd say maybe 5-6 nights a week? I don't do complicated meals every night, but honestly, I think a lot of ready meals taste like crap, so for the same cost or less I'd rather make something myself. On Friday and Saturday nights, we have a date night meal alone after our daughter goes to bed, so on these nights, she's more likely to have fish fingers (though even those sometimes I make myself, it's really easy) or a mini pizza or pasta and cheese or something quick and simple, and then we have something ourselves later, which is sometimes a ready meal or takeaway. But the rest of the week I cook. There are loads of things you can cook in a fairly short amount of time that are tasty and healthy. I get home about 5:15 from work and picking my daughter up and we eat about 6:30, so that leaves me about an hour and 15 minutes to make something (she helps so we get to spend time together or plays with daddy or vice versa).

On the nights I need something really quick and simple, pasta is great and easy. Sometimes I use a jarred sauce, sometimes a passata and add a few things to it, sometimes just garlic and cheese on top, along with some veg (either sauteed or roasted). So much veg now you can get just out of the packet (french beans, spinach, tenderstem broccoli, mushrooms, whatever) and I just dump it in a roasting pan with some olive oil and garlic (I get the pureed kind in the squeeze tube) and it's in the oven. That's a meal and it's pretty quick.

Last night we had salmon with mash and peas. Also pretty easy. I make salmon goujons (chunks of salmon dredged in flour, then egg or mayo, then breadcrumbs and then roasted until crispy), which are really quick to make and nicer than fish fingers and we all like them. Mash is pretty easy, it's just dumping it in a pot to cook, or sometimes I make rice, which is the same. And then the peas I just microwave from frozen.

Blended soups with bread and butter are good too. Also, easy, you just dump everything in a pot, boil til soft, and blend. We're having this mexican tomato soup for dinner tomorrow. https://cowfacemagazine.com/mexican-tomato-soup/

We don't cook a lot of meat (maybe once or twice a week?) so I think that helps. I think vegetarian food is a lot faster to cook and not as complicated. And I try to avoid things that need a lot of attention, like risotto because it's unlikely that I'll be able to stand over something and stir it constantly. The slow cooker is good too and I do use it a few times a month.

When I do have something more complicated, like tonight we're having cauliflower cheese and roasted root veg, I try to find a few minutes earlier in the day to get a task done. Like today before dinner time, I'll have to take 15 minutes and chop all the veg for roasting because it takes a hour in the oven and I'll need to start it right away. But I can always find a spare 15 minutes somewhere (I work from home, so I can do it while I'm making my lunch or my husband will do breakfast so I have extra time to chop veg for the slow cooker or to be put in the fridge for later). And then there's the white sauce to make, which is kind of a pain, but it's okay because I don't make things that need this much fussing over that often. So I plan them for days when I know my husband won't be home late, so he can take over and I can make the sauce. You can also still use a jarred white sauce, but I don't think it's as nice so I don't mind taking the time to do it.

That said, if it's just the two of you, I'd make something simple. We both travel for work regularly, so when it's just one of us at home, we usually do simple meals those nights when we only have one set of hands on deck. Either something that makes good leftovers, so we only have to cook every other night, or a quick pasta with cheese and peas, or something like sausages that just needs to be chucked in the oven and served with leftover mash and frozen peas. I don't think I'd make anything too involved on those nights.

Not all of the time but I'd say about 99% of the time. We don't have microwave ready meals though as I don't like them. When I don't feel like cooking from scratch I'll get something that's prepared like fish balls or hot wings that I just need to bung in the oven and then steam some veggies to go with them. Or do sausage and chips.

Most of the time. Jacob has dinners at school so I mostly just cook for myself, but I do enjoy it! A typical week is..

Monday - chorizo and butter bean stew with sourdough bread
Tuesday - fajitas and salad
Wednesday - I stay at my parents as I'm in uni until 7, but she always cooks from scratch
Thursday - simple pasta dish (like jamie Oliver's 'pregnant jools' pasta, it's so delicious!)
Friday - hunters chicken, homemade wedges and peas
Saturday - homemade pizza (Jacob loves making the base!)
Sunday- jambalaya (I would make a roast but Jacob won't eat them :( )

I work Monday, Thursday, Friday and go to uni Tuesday and Wednesday but it's always been the norm for me because my mum always cooked from scratch every night.
Also I do freeze leftovers so normally only need to do a big shop every other week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->