Do you ever look at how many times someone has been thanked

I have loads of thanks but I'm kind of an asshole, so the system doesn't always work, haha.

I'm with you! I feel like I have quite a few, but usually I get "thanked" when I say something that is kind of unpopular, or share some good ol' peer reviewed research when people are being critical of other people's choices.

I have loads of thanks but I'm kind of an asshole, so the system doesn't always work, haha.

I'm with you! I feel like I have quite a few, but usually I get "thanked" when I say something that is kind of unpopular, or share some good ol' peer reviewed research when people are being critical of other people's choices.

It's a tough job being the person who says what everyone else is quietly thinking, or who drags logic and reason into a hormonal discussion, but someone's gotta do it. :haha:

It's not necessarily the nice people who get lots of thanks.

But I do look at it, yeah. Not discern anything about their niceness though.

I've been "Thanked 3,377 times in 2,482 posts".

I like to look at the difference between how many times thanked in how many posts. If someone is pretty even then its probably cos they are a nice person.

If someone (like me) has a bit of a discrepancy its probably from getting too involved early on in big debate posts and saying controversial things which get a lot of support, for example: "All formula feeders are lazy"... "People who do CC should be put in jail for child abuse"..."if you get you kids ears pierced your a chav"..... that kind of thing but worded a bit more intelligently and a bit toned down. Or alternatively its from making cheap jokes about willies in circumcision threads.

ETA: I combi fed, did CC and haven't pierced my children's ears.... just examples not my actual views.

I've been "Thanked 3,377 times in 2,482 posts".

I like to look at the difference between how many times thanked in how many posts. If someone is pretty even then its probably cos they are a nice person.

If someone (like me) has a bit of a discrepancy its probably from getting too involved early on in big debate posts and saying controversial things which get a lot of support, for example: "All formula feeders are lazy"... "People who do CC should be put in jail for child abuse"..."if you get you kids ears pierced your a chav"..... that kind of thing but worded a bit more intelligently and a bit toned down. Or alternatively its from making cheap jokes about willies in circumcision threads.

ETA: I combi fed, did CC and haven't pierced my children's ears.... just examples not my actual views.

Flip, saw you with those statements and thought, this thread is about to take a dramatic turn off course :haha:

Oh dear, I think I might have the biggest discrepancy on the forum but I would like to think it's not because I've ever said anything as jerky as that! I generally try to encourage more reasonableness, not less! (And not even any willy jokes, haha.)

I should possibly have emphasised the worded more intelligently bit more!

If you did put: "All formula feeders are lazy" you'd probably get flamed. But I've seen a lot of thanks for people saying things worded like..."I don't understand why anyone would choose to formula feed when its so much more work than breastfeeding" and get a fair few likes for it.

Again....an example, not my view.

Well my thanks are only slightly higher than my number of posts tanked in, what's that mean? Lol. I don't say anything like that!

I do like debate, but i don't know if it counts in the debate section as they are not added to our general post count, I do tend to get involved in lots of vaccination debates though, lol, but stay away from bf vs ff ... Mostly.

I should possibly have emphasised the worded more intelligently bit more!

If you did put: "All formula feeders are lazy" you'd probably get flamed. But I've seen a lot of thanks for people saying things worded like..."I don't understand why anyone would choose to formula feed when its so much more work than breastfeeding" and get a fair few likes for it.

Again....an example, not my view.

Haha, technically you'd be calling breastfeeders lazy in that example. But I see what you're saying. I think that by their nature forums attract different opinions and part of what makes them interesting is learning how to communicate a perspective honestly but in a way that doesn't label or judge someone holding a different perspective.

Now I'm curious! Just posting to see what my thanks are at now :haha: If anything, this post will make me notice it a bit more.

I used to watch how many 'thanks' I had all of the time, now I don't care as much. I don't necessarily think it means that someone is nice per se, I tend to see the more controversial posters with a higher amount of thanks. As Larkspur said, those who have the balls to say something the rest of us don't want to that may stir the pot tend to get a lot of good and bad attention. ;)

I generally use it as like myself, and I also thank everyone who posts in my threads (unless they're being jerks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->