do you go out of your way to avoid swine flu and bugs?

grumpymoo

Happy Mummy!
Reaction score
we have always worried about Rose catching something because of her immunity and because since she was born there has been this swine flu lurking about.

she did not have any visitors in the hospital and when she came home we asked people not to come if they were unwell and to use hand gel when they got here.
i am sure some people thought we were/are mad! one friend told me i was doing her head in because of this, i was ever so upset as all i was trying to do was protect my baby after her tricky start to life.

anyway, we feel very aware of not taking her places, if we can help it, that may expose her to these nasty bugs, like crowded places.
however, i am worried that we are getting paranoid and stopping doing things that everyone else would do without a thought!

what are your thoughts on this, do you worry about your little ones or just get on with it?

HI Grumpymoo, I don't think you are being irrational and not sure why your friend would say such a thing after what you have been through. Not very tactful.
I discussed the very subject above with my GP after I took Emily to visit him when she caught a cold two weeks after she was discharged. I was so annoyed she had caught one as soon as she was in my care and felt I had let her down.
My GP said to me that I should continue to avoid crowded places and protect Emily as much as could as she was not like a full term baby, she is more vulnerable because she is a premmie. He said that I should not accept visitors who feel they 'may' be getting a cold or who claim they have just recovered from a cold. He said the risk is not worth it especially it being the flu season now. It is not just worrying about swine flu, it is all the other common flu and cold germs that linger at this time of year.

I would say you are wise to feel as you do and want to protect Rose. She is vulnerable and yes as people say and have said to me, she does need to catch these things to build her immunity however not just yet, give her time to grow and get stronger. Same goes for Rose.
I like you limited her visitors when she was very tiny as I was terrified of her catching a cold or infection. I have adopted the same policy now I am home. I have just replaced my alcohol gel with a bigger bottle.

I would continue as you are and get yourself a new friend who understands why you are doing what you are doing...x

hey hun, i think you are totally right to want to protect your babe until they a little bigger and stronger. was easier for me as emma game out in june so other than making sure no one came to see her that was ill had a cold etc, which is still the case, i just got on with it and went out, but its easier in the summer and emma was 8 months by time got out.

I would say your being sensible and as your lo gets stronger you will be able to do more. And dont listen to your mate, would never say that if they had been through it all!!! xxx

We were told to avoid crowded places and those with artifical air (shopping malls, supermarkets etc) for a wee while after getting her home. We were strict on the handwashing for a couple of months but as she got bigger, we slowly let it slide to a less stringent thing. Now we only insist our visitors do it if A) they have cats or dogs or B) are children.

We had to take Abby to see her Granda who lives in a care home and has C-diff. I wasn't happy at all, but given his days are numbered, we felt we had to. Even then we didn't do it til after her due date and the contact was minimal using barrier methods etc.

She hasn't caught anything so far, but then we don't mix with lots of folk and I haven't been to any groups with children.

thanks girls x

glad its not just me but we wont even take her to the supermarket!:blush: i even worry if strangers start cooing over her at the local shops. i just wonder if i am taking it a little too far as it really limits what we do. still, i would rather try and keep her safe.

I dunno about others but I have only had 2 people in 5 months come over and touch Abby. One asked if she could pick her up and I said fine - it was in the Cafe and she was girning and I was trying to get my coffee and donut to the table. I figured, if the staff in the cafe aren't hygenic, I've got worse things to worry about than if Abby will pick something up! The lady did say she had just washed her hands.

The other was in Comet and the sales woman was trying to get her to smile by rubbing her cheek. I was going to stop her but the look on Abby's face was a picture. A real "WTF are you doing biatch" look. That's my girl!

But I hear so many people saying total strangers will come up and touch their babies. Does it really happen alot?

no, i wont let them!:haha:

even the docs in the hospital have been told off by me and my dh. they all seem to have this obsession with sticking their fingers in roses mouth to pacify her. the first time it happened i was so surprised i didn't say anything but i always do now to stop them. i just dont get it, i would of thought the hygiene issue would stop them. in fact i dont even do it!!!!

even the docs in the hospital have been told off by me and my dh. they all seem to have this obsession with sticking their fingers in roses mouth to pacify her. the first time it happened i was so surprised i didn't say anything but i always do now to stop them. i just dont get it, i would of thought the hygiene issue would stop them. in fact i dont even do it!!!!

No way???? Really??!!??

That's just unbelievable. I'd have them reported for that!

No way???? Really??!!??

That's just unbelievable. I'd have them reported for that!

That is outrageous and disgusting. I would flip my lid if I witnessed that. Am glad you told them off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->