Do you have a baby carrier/ sling like this?

catty

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have £150 vouchers for mothercare so i am just getting the last bits and bobs and thought i would get a sling. I dont really want to spend about £100 on one as i will only be using it in the house if baby wont settle and my boyfriend would like to use it if we are going on short walks etc.

This is the one i aseen, seems a reasonable price but unsure as iv never known anyone to use a carrier before.

https://www.mothercare.com/theBabaSli...d.html#q=sling

Thanks for any advice

The link doesn't work. But if it's the baba sling, then I haven't heard much good about it. As it goes over one shoulder it can make your back ache, and the position isn't great for baby. In particular, the cradle position can be dangerous as there is a risk of baby not being supported properly, their chin goes on their chest which can make it hard for baby to breathe.

Looking at the range of carriers at mothercare, the close caboo and the wallabaloo cross are the only two which hold baby in the recommended position, with legs spread and supported knee to knee, which is comfy for baby and helps reduce the risk of hip dysplasia/dislocated hips.

https://www.mothercare.com/theBabaS...by-Sling---Scarlet-Red/526115,default,pd.html

Woops that should be the right link now, yes thats the one, i will have a good look then thanks for letting me know.

We bought a baby bjorn carrier off eBay and I'm glad we didn't pay much as I never used her in it. I thought it would let me be more hands free but she wasn't really keen and I found it hurt my shoulders and back.

If you aren't sure how much you'll use one, is it worth getting a 2nd hand one to try and then spending the money if you take to it?

I found mine useful, but only because I didn't know any better! It hurt my neck, was hard to adjust and to be honest, never seemed entirely safe. When I switched to a mei tai, I wondered why I'd persevered so long!

Stretchy wraps and mei tais are very reasonable, (more so if second hand) and are pretty easy to get the hang of.

Don't buy a bjorn though ^^

I've heard good things about the baba slings for small babies but not so as they get heavier. Would you be interested in wrapping?

im not sure, im very uneducated in carriers, wraps etc

I only really thought about them when i seen some threads where people had said they used them whilst cleaning etc as there baby didnt like being pout down and thought i would get one.

I think i may need to look more into it as they do look really handy.

I'm just waiting on a connecta to arrive. They're quite expensive but I plan on using it instead of the pram so it will get its money's worth of use xx

I bought a babasling from Mothercare but took it back before I even left the house with LO in it. It didn't feel secure or comfy at all. I now have a Caboo Close baby carrier which I love! It was quite expensive at £60 from Kiddecare though

I bought one of those with my vouchers! It's now languishing on the eBay pile and I wear my 20 quid off eBay wrap sling every day! The wrap came with really good instructions so even a total novice like me finds it easy. Is more secure and more comfortable than the baba and much better value. I ended up using my vouchers for real nappies (had to order online but in-store - much wider choice of stuff that way!). Hth

I'm going to be controversial an say baby Bjorne! Apparently they aren't recommended due to hip position or something but I have used my Bjorne with both girls to no ill effects. We use ours for occasional use such as nipping to the shops, doing nursery run etc. also used it for countryside walks or local walks to settle baby when she was tiny. Easy to put on on your own, way to adjust so that either me or hubbie can wear it. Can face out or in and I also managed to breast feed on the go a couple of times.

I used a Moby wrap when DS was smaller... LIFESAVER!!!! hands free!!! Really easy to get the hang of and soooo comfy for me and baby. When DS got bigger he started to lean back a lot so I switched to a Connecta.. we use it all the time and he loves it.. we don't use it round the house anymore just out and about but it is so useful when you don't want to mess about with a pushchair and it is like a hug with little one all the time! Unfortunately I don't think you can get either of these at Mothercare but I would suggest using your vouchers for other things there and spending a bit of cash on a good sling if you can.. they retain value pretty well so you should be able to get most of your money back if you sell it later on.

I'm going to be controversial an say baby Bjorne! Apparently they aren't recommended due to hip position or something but I have used my Bjorne with both girls to no ill effects. We use ours for occasional use such as nipping to the shops, doing nursery run etc. also used it for countryside walks or local walks to settle baby when she was tiny. Easy to put on on your own, way to adjust so that either me or hubbie can wear it. Can face out or in and I also managed to breast feed on the go a couple of times.

If you were to do some research you would see the problems. (Not trying to be mean, its just something I feel quite strongly about!) And facing out is the biggest no no of baby wearing.

Maybe try going to the shop and trying it? I went to kiddicare yesterday and they have fake babies that weigh 10lb so you can try the sling on and see how it feels. They had babasling as well as a range of other carriers including slings, wraps and more rigid carriers

I have used an Ergo since LO was very small (with an insert). It is great, very comfortable, my LO is a chunker and now at 10 months it is still as comfy. Plus you can wear on the back after 6 months.

I had a moby wrap when LO was first born but he got really fussy in it.

If you do buy an Ergo though beware of lots of fakes on Amazon/Ebay etc.

where are you? do you have a slingmeet nearby where you can go and try out a range of types and brands?

I have used an Ergo since LO was very small (with an insert). It is great, very comfortable, my LO is a chunker and now at 10 months it is still as comfy. Plus you can wear on the back after 6 months.

I had a moby wrap when LO was first born but he got really fussy in it.

If you do buy an Ergo though beware of lots of fakes on Amazon/Ebay etc.

I agree. My lo is now 12 months and we still use the ergo all the time. I must admit it gets used more than the pram. Looking at getting a mai tei too.

If you were to do some research you would see the problems. (Not trying to be mean, its just something I feel quite strongly about!) And facing out is the biggest no no of baby wearing.

Appreciate that you aren't trying to be mean! Have done some googling ( which I know doesn't really constitute research) , and all I can find is lots of rumours on lots of baby forums! I am of the mind that they wouldn't be allowed to sell the things if they were that bad! I'm not a baby wearer, I carry my child in a sling for both our convenience so I haven't really given it an awful lot of thought.

Here is the link to the FAQ section of the Bjorne website which addresses all the objections I have read on the forums

https://www.babybjorn.co.uk/customer-service/faq/

Now I know everyone will say "they would say that" but all their answers have links to medical research and that's good enough for me!

Op, I hope you get a carrier which works for you.

If you're interested in baby wearing I'd pop yourself to your local sling meet or sling library to try a few on and see what suits you. Google or local Facebook groups are your best bet finding one near you.

I had a couple of crotch dangler type slings early on with willow when I hadn't researched and found them uncomfortable on my back and shoulders, and she wasn't comfy in them either. There are better ways, and will save you money in the long run...spent a blinking fortune!

Technically I guess baby Bjorn are right in that the carriers don't cause hip dysplasia.

However, Robyn has shallow hips. We have been instructed to keep her legs spread as much as possible as this position will help her hip sockets deepen. If her hip sockets don't deepen she is at risk of hip dysplasia/dislocations. So if I were to carry Robyn in a bb style carrier, it could contribute to her getting hip dysplasia. Instead I carry her in a mei tai style carrier which keeps her legs in the position recommended by her consultant.

And for those thinking 'but my baby passed her hip check so using a bb style carrier is fine'- Robyn passed her hip checks too. She has symmetrical creases, legs the same length, no clicks. Her shallow hips were picked up on a routine ultrasound because she was breech. So I'm of the opinion better to be safe than sorry, especially when you think other carriers can be more comfy for both of you, and cheaper than the bb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->