Do you have to wash babies clothes beforehand?/Question about menstrual like cramping

kaylamariee

Reaction score
Hey ladies:flower:
I hope your all feeling well (as well as you can in the third tri of pregnancy:haha:)
So, I was just wondering.. Do you have to wash all babies clothes before baby arrives? Pretty much all of the clothes we have are brand new and on hangers, OH even put a bag around them so they stayed nice and new:winkwink:
The other day, my aunt brought me some things and one of them was detergent for babies? I forget what it was called.. But I think it's because baby's skins so sensitive so there's not a bunch of added stuff:shrug:
This is all new to me...

Secondly, I am 38 weeks today and been getting quite a bit of menstrual like cramping.. It's lighter than my normal period cramps but I do notice them..
They last about 20-30 seconds. I have no idea what it is?
Is it braxton hicks? Most people describe them as a 'tightening' of the stomach, but I haven't really had that:wacko:
So was just wondering if anyone knows what this is?
I'm looking for any sign! I haven't lost my mucus plug yet or had bloody show:shrug:
Wish my princess was here NOW, lol

Any advice would be appreciated :hugs:

I've washed blankets, sheets and clothes in non bio, apparently company's spray clothes with stuff to stop them getting damp while in storage etc so best to incase baby has a reaction to it. Not sure on cramping sorry x

You should wash the clothes, blankets, sheets- any material that will touch the baby. There are chemicals, dust, etc., all over them. Babies skin can be really sensitive. The baby detergent (at least what we see often in the US) is Dreft. That works fine- its a bit expensive for my taste. There are also sensitive skin/odor free/dye free type detergents that work well, too. I used All Free and Clear. Still do. We made sure to also wash our own clothes in the same stuff because if baby is going to be leaning up against us and or clothes all the time, wouldn't the potential reaction be the same ? Just our thought.

As for the cramping- that is normal. I have had some cramping too, but I'm only 31 weeks. Just talked to my doctor about it. She said that later in pregnancy it can be the bodies was of starting contractions (which can go on for weeks, so don't think cramps mean you are in labor). But you should pay attention to them because some women can mistake the start of labor for cramps. The contractions you will really have to watch for will be much stronger than menstrual cramps.

Thanks ladies!
Makes a lot of sense, will be washing babies clothes and sheets beforehand now :)
Just needed an explanation, lol!
And yeah, I don't know what's up with this cramping.. it happens at night because when I wake up I have them and just randomly through out the day

yes make sure you wash all the babies things in biological washing powder. Could the cramping be the baby dropping?X

You would know if they were contractions. They hurt- sorry to say it, but you would quickly be in agony.

And yes you need to wash everything. And do it now and not when baby is here thinking "oh she won't wear that for a while"- you will thank yourself later trust me.

Gonna go against the grain here and admit that I've never washed brand new baby clothes, and I don't use any sort of special washing powder when I do wash baby clothes (for example, if I've bought any second hand baby clothes, I do wash them). Just regular washing powder, and my kids have been fine.

yes make sure you wash all the babies things in biological washing powder. Could the cramping be the baby dropping?X

It should be non-bio

But I'm not convinced of the need, and can't find any official recommendations...

I used Dreft (baby detergent) on the first wash and washed all blankets, clothes, sheets, etc. I didn't use it on me or OH's clothes though. and I don't plan on using it once the bottle I have runs out unless for some reason I notice baby's skin being sensitive to anything else

I've washed everything because you never know what chemicals are on them from the factory or if they have been on a factory floor.

As for menstrual cramps, I've had them on and off throughout the 3rd trimester. Your body is still stretching to accommodate the baby so it's normal to feel niggly pains.

I have washed everything in a 'free and clear' detergent. I have very sensitive skin myself so I always use it on mine and my husband's clothes anyway, it's nice to not have to switch up the detergent for baby girl :)

I have also been getting cramps often for the past week, usually coupled with Braxton-Hicks. I find they are worse if I do a lot of walking/activity. I have an appt tomorrow so I'll be asking my Dr what he thinks is going on and if little girl might be dropping.

Washed all my girls things - the thought of all the manky grubby hands that have touch it through its life makes me want to heave! Now I know they're all fresh for her only touch by her Mummy!

Although I refuse to buy specific washing powder, there's no evidence it's needed, baby's clothes washed in the same as all of my stuff.

Gonna go against the grain here and admit that I've never washed brand new baby clothes, and I don't use any sort of special washing powder when I do wash baby clothes (for example, if I've bought any second hand baby clothes, I do wash them). Just regular washing powder, and my kids have been fine.

Me too! I don't buy dreft or anything special. In my defense, none of my family has skin allergies and there are too many of us doing laundry to seperate out the babies clothes each time I have to wash them. If baby gets a rash or something I will wash everything again in something sensitive

I don't use special detergent, but I do wash newborn clothes. Mainly because of the chemicals new fabric is treated with and also because it softens them up a lot. As they get older I don't wash new things, however! The human body is very resilient, I just figure 'why not' when they are that tiny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->