Do you need contraceptives to prevent pregnancy before a normal AF after a 5 wks mc?

vonz

Mom to a boy and girl :)
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if this is a place that i can find some answers.. i miscarried at 5 weeks and my doc said that we can have sex normally even after the mc and after the first AF comes, we could start trying immediately. Question is, should we use contraceptives before the 1st normal AF comes?

Are the chances of miscarriages higher if we get pregnant before the 1st AF?

Hi hun, So sorry for you loss.

Drs recommend using condoms to prevent infection if your going to have sex during the first few weeks after a miscarriage. And as far as Im aware, they only advise waiting till your first period before trying again so they can date you properly. But lots of women have fallen again before their period and have been fine.

Your pregnancy hormones may also stay in your body for a few weeks after so you probably wont ovulate straight away. Although I think I did 8 days after my ERPC.

I waiting about 10 days after my MC before we had sex, we didnt use any protection as I wanted to try straight away. My first period came today so at least I know things are still working.

If your ready to try again straight after, just be careful of infection etc for the first few weeks or so, but after that I think it will be fine. xx

thanks Mrs N... its been a challenging journey, but i was jus worried to go through another miscarriage thus i asked.. :(

As far as I know you're not more likely to MC again should you fall pregnant again. So if you want to start trying again straight away, there should be nothing stopping you. I only waited because I'd had surgery and needed to physically heal my uterus & tubes before trying to grow another wee one in there!
I was warned about the risk of infection as well, though, so I'd say give it about 2 weeks of using condoms after the MC to let things close up and not be as vulnerable to infection?

I know hun, I'm so worried it will happen again. But its something nobody can predict and we have to think positive and look forward :hugs:

As far as ive herd .. all i really know is that you are very fertile after a m/c i dont think you would be any more likely to misscarry i know a few girls who have miscarried and then fell pregnant that next month and gone on to have healthy babies. xxx

its jus so super depressing seeing that sac left my womb... u know.. like into the toilet bowl at 5 weeks. :( and the stabbing pains... it was only just yesterday....

It will get easier I promise. You will never forget about it but you will learn to cope. I found out just before xmas my baby had died. I was 8 weeks at the time. I had another scan 2 weeks later which confirmed everything, and the following week had medical management. I passed the sac and baby together, and thought that was it over. However 3 weeks after I was still spotting and still had a positive pregnancy test, and a scan revealed retained products, so I then ended up having a ERPC. I can honestly say I have never been through anything as terrible in my whole life, but now, nearly 3 weeks on from the ERPC, I feel confident talking about it to everyone. But I did have weeks where I couldnt even talk to my DH without breaking down. Keep positive hun, it does get better :hugs: Here is you need to talk xx

PS I also found the miscarriage support section amazingly helpful for getting things off your chest, and speaking to others.

It will get easier I promise. You will never forget about it but you will learn to cope. I found out just before xmas my baby had died. I was 8 weeks at the time. I had another scan 2 weeks later which confirmed everything, and the following week had medical management. I passed the sac and baby together, and thought that was it over. However 3 weeks after I was still spotting and still had a positive pregnancy test, and a scan revealed retained products, so I then ended up having a ERPC. I can honestly say I have never been through anything as terrible in my whole life, but now, nearly 3 weeks on from the ERPC, I feel confident talking about it to everyone. But I did have weeks where I couldnt even talk to my DH without breaking down. Keep positive hun, it does get better :hugs: Here is you need to talk xx

PS I also found the miscarriage support section amazingly helpful for getting things off your chest, and speaking to others.

Thanks MrsN... whats an ERPC? Im having some brown discharge now, the after effects of the D&C, and i have another meeting with the gynae to follow-up on the D&C in a week's time. super sad. i wrote about my husband's grieving on my blog, u can go visit... and my heart broke seeing how his broke.
i would love to follow your journal... could i?

Sorry for your loss huni :hugs:

There's a recent study that says women who get PG within 6 mths of MC go statistically have healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies and births, there are mixed views on the whole increased fertility thing tho. But everyone is right the Drs say wait till after your first AF purely for dating reasons, as the dates of the MC mean nothing, if your physically and emotionally ready no medical reason why not.

My Drs asked me Tuesday what I was using as contraception I just said it took me 12 mths to get my first bean what will be will be :hugs:

whats an ERPC?

It means Evacuation of Retained Products of Conception. Such a delightful name.... its basically like a D&C, so its probably what you had. People just call either or really. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->