Do You Offer Your LO Something Else If They Don't Like What You Are Giving Them?

Jemima

Mother of One
Reaction score
When you are giving your LO a meal and they screw their nose up at what you are offering them, do you trry them with something different? Or do you just assume they are not that hungry and leave it? Or do you just go straight to pudding?!

I'm just asking due to something my MIL said yesterday (surprise, surprise!). I was giving Poppy some lunch (chicken and some veg). She hadn't tried this particular combo before and didn't appear to like it so I was going to just ditch it and offer her a sandwich. MIL said, "tell her that's all there is and if she doesn't like it, there's nothing else!" Or words to that effect. Needless to say, I just carried on regardless of what she had said.

What do you all do? Just curious.

Bloody MIL's! I know if I told Lucy there was nothing else she wouldnt have a clue what I was saying!

If she doesnt like it and shes trying to eat it but making funny faces and spitting it out i'll give her something else but if she wont even try it i'll persevere until she tries it and 9 times out of 10 she'll eat the whole lot if I can get the first spoon in

I usually stick with it and after a few mouthfuls she usually gets into it. if she didnt then id prob just leave it and give a bf instead. if she was older id offer something diff.

i usually offer her something else if she wont eat it, but tbh there's not much she wont eat now. christ at that age they dont know what you mean if you say there's nothing else!!

last night katie had tea at my mum's - turbot and peas (what my mum was having lol) and mum gave her about 3 spoons, which was more than i thought she'd take and when she turned her head away she had banana. at this age, it hink if you dont let them have something different they might get more worked up about food iykwim?!

Depends.. If she won't even try it then I'll keep on at it, but if she has some and still doesn't like it then I'll make her something else

Unsure as so far Jasmine likes everything we give her

I used to stick with it, Because my HV said something about him not knowing what he likes and doesnt at a young age. And now at 16 months he eats everything and anything, so im glad i stuck it out.

Well we usually give Hannah several options in any given meal so if she doesn't take to one she usually eats the others. I try to get her to have at least a few bites of everything, doesn't always work though :lol:

Saying that though there have been times she just won't eat anything so I give her something I know she'll eat just to get food down her (usually when she's teething badly)

Yup, I give her something else, and try that combo again another day. :)

Poppy has never refused food as yet, but sometimes half way through a meal she might lose interest and clamp her mouth shut. I usually then give her a bit of fruit to chew on (almost to cleanse her palate sort of thing) and then she will go back to having what I was giving her before with no problems. Like I say though, I don't think she has ever not liked anything I have given her so far....xx

I will try a bit more, but if they won't and you know there is another option I would do that. She's too young to understand this or nothing...if it was a toddler or something..like older toddler that's what we would do. But we do make sure to offer that option they refused MANY more times, ti can take alot to get them to take to it

Thanks everyone. I think I will carry on as I was and offer her something else if she doesn't fancy what I'm giving her. Like some of you said, she probably doesn't know what she likes at this young age! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->