do you prefer co educational or single sex schools?

I appear to be in the minority here. Can I ask why people are so anti them? :shrug:

For me it's the fact that by seperating the sexes you are creating some sort of mystery about the opposite sex. By going to the same school you are taking that away and therefore when the hormones kick in they have been around the opposite sex long enough to know there isn't actually any mystery.
If a child is going to get distracted by someone of the opposite sex they are going to find someone to get distracted by even if they don't go to the same school.

I don't have anything massively against them, but I do find the concept quite unnatural, you don't spend your life segregated from the other sex so why do it in education,it's just a bit strange really, but that said I can see the advantages, but for a more well rounded education socially speaking not just intellectually I think co ed is better.

I don't have anything massively against them, but I do find the concept quite unnatural, you don't spend your life segregated from the other sex so why do it in education,it's just a bit strange really, but that said I can see the advantages, but for a more well rounded education socially speaking not just intellectually I think co ed is better.

This.

Personally I LOVED 7 years away from boys... My school felt a bit like st trinians at times with all the little groups like the geeks, the posh princesses, the chavvy ones etc but there was never any bullying (apart from when we bullied the teachers). I might be naive but I genuinely think most people enjoyed it.
I felt a bit fat during secondary school, actually I wasn't just wasn't a skinny minny, I imagine I would've been teased by boys. I had two brothers at home and could've done out of school activities with boys, i chose not to!
I didn't want anything to do with boys at that age, ok I have no friends who are boys/ men but I don't really see that as a bad thing.

Na see it was the girls who were the nasty ones in my school....but maybe that was because they were vying for the attention of the boys.....?! I don't understand the concept of "not wanting anything to do with boys" though....to me that's like saying "I don't want anything to do with old people, or the welsh or something" lol, half the population is male, it's life, why seclude yourself from a massive section of society for a temporary moment in time? I mean I understand the concept to trying to meet educational needs, but the general statement of not wanting anything to do with boys seems weird to me lol, I don't just mean "sexually" just generally as a people! It's a bit discriminatory lau haha :p

Yeah the boys at my school never teased the girls. It was def the girls, but I don't think that has anything to do with being co-ed as the all girls schools nearby were bitchy as hell.

I would have hated being in a same-sex school as nearly all my friends were boys! (still the same way now)

It probably does sound a bit weird! As a teenager I wasn't really interested in having a boyfriend, I was/ am close to my brothers and didn't see the need to have any males as friends. My family is completely dominated by men, the only women are my mum nan and great aunt (biological I mean). Both my mum and dad only have brothers and the cousins I see are boys. It's the same as women who have sisters and don't have any female friends.
For me personally it was just really really beneficial to have that time away from boys. Yes it could be bitchy but nothing is perfect.
I just came to give my opinion on it as most of the opinions on here are negative, understandably.
Eta the other post makes me sound like I hate men! I don't at all I love the straight forward nature of men but it's good to have a balance!

Coming from such a male dominated family lau I can see why going to an all girls school worked well for you :)

I kinda wish I could go to an all woman work place, I'm overrun at home :haha:

TBH I don't think that it matters too much. Obviously there are benefits for both but I don't think one type of school produces better young adults than other really. Rory will be going to a co-ed because we couldn't even dream of private but that doesn't bother me at all.

I prefer co ed to single sex as I believe it is a more realistic build up to life and the workplace.

I being a mother personally feels that the kids should be put in co-ed schools. It builds confidence and the child get mannered as compared to single sex schools. They inculcate the habit of talking to the opposite sex and also they remain conscious of their wearing and all. :thumbup:

I went to an all girls school, and whilst there is a very particular atmosphere at a girls school which i really enjoyed at the time (I canspot anyone who went to a girls school within about 10 mins of talking to them) I personally think my single sex education played a heavy part in the fact that i went off to uni, discovered boys and got pregnant within about 5 mins :/ not saying it's like that for everyone but it would certainly be a big part of my reluctance to send my daughters to girls schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->