Do you recommend TTC right after stopping BCP or waiting for 1st real period?

lu-is

Mom of 1 bouncing boy!
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I'm just trying to plan ahead and as you lovely ladies are at the stage I'm planning to be in 7-8 months I thought I would get your input.
What would be your recommendation about after stopping BCPs? should we start TTC directly after the withdrawl bleeding, or wait for another cycle?
What did you personally choose?

In my past experience of taking one month of off birth control I did have a period the following month (antibiotics messed up the previous month so i decided to take a break to start again after a period). So I don't know if I should take that as a good sign that if I take my last pill in May I could potentially conceive in June 2011.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions!

Hi hun. I would start ttc right after the withdrawl bleed. They say that once you have had the withdrawl bleed that you can start.

I have heard the risk of m/c is higher in the first 3months after you stop taking BC so it probably best to wait until you're clear, also when I stopped BC my next cycle took 56days, then 49 and I had to wait 5months until it was down to it's normal 30days! Ask your dr, they will be able to advise you based on your medical history&type of pill etc x

Doctors seem to give different messages, but we decided to wait for a 'proper' period before starting TTC. We've now decided to wait an extra cycle, just cos the timing suits us better. Only a few weeks to go now!

Hi lu-is :D There is nothing stopping you TTC straight after your withdrawal bleed, though some people choose to wait a cycle or two to see how long they are and so to get an idea of when ov is happening. (It's also easier to calculate your due date if you do get pg, as they go off your last menstrual period, though that doesn't matter too much).

Apparently they did use to believe TTCing too soon after the pill increased the risk of miscarriage, but there is no evidence to support this, so it's totally up to you. :)

Good luck for when you do TTC. :thumbup:

i think i would wait and then you will know that all is ok good luck xxx

I stopped taking bcp on day 10 of a packet, had withdrawal bleed 7 days later, as opposed to the normal 2. 13 days later we got pregnant.

I don't see the need in waiting. A few years ago when scan where not as accurate it would be useful to wait for a period to date properly, but now there is no need as the first trimester scans are very accurate.

We started trying straight after the withdrawal bleed, beginning of sept, obviously not worked for us yet (better luck this month hopefully)
My mum conceived both me and my sister straight after coming off the pill and had no problems.
I think its up to the individual whether they want to wait or not. xx

We are NTNP as soon as my withdrawal bleed has finished:wohoo:

We have started when my packet ended and after my withdrawal bleed.

Currently on my first 2ww assuming I ov'd!

I don't see why you couldn't try straight away. I would personally wait because I'm a control freak and I would want to know how long my cycles are and work out my fertile times... but that's just me :p

We started NTNP as soon as I came off the pill, the only problem has been that my cycles are unpredictable, so I just waited 3 weeks, a whole lot of ICs, two FRERs and a visit to the GP only for the witch to show up on CD43!! So I would say start the Not Preventing, but maybe leave the "Not Trying" for a few months! ;)

I'm now regretting trying immediately after coming off the pill last month as I really don't have any idea when to expect AF. I'm going to end up wanting to test every day now. Normally I would be expecting her any day now but for all I know she could be weeks away, it is already driving me crazy.

So my advice would be to let your body settle into a routine before trying, as hard as it may be! GL

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and answers they're very useful. They've given me more things to think about of the next several months.
There seems to be pluses to either side.. eeps. I've got lots of thinking to do.
Then again I must remember TTC can be so unpredictable anyways..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->