Do you reuse the same breast pump second time around?

NickyKB

Reaction score
I'm expecting number 2 in a couple of weeks and am just trying to get bits sorted. Just wondering if people reuse the same breast pump or get a new one for number 2?

I'm the opposite - got a new manual one because the rubber part was wearing out and it's only a cheap one anyway. Have the same electric one but barely used it this time round.

Assuming it's still in working condition, no reason you can't re use the same one if you were happy with it.

I assume you're in the states? If insurance will cover a new pump, I would get a new one. Reason for that is that if the old one stops working within the 3-6mo post partum period that they will cover a pump, you don't want to be left paying out of pocket. I donated my old one to a local church (who found someone who couldn't afford one and needed it) and got a new one even though I'm not planning to use it. I figured if the worst happens and I have to find a job to scrape by before DS2 is ready to stop drinking milk during the day, I'll have a good pump, and if I don't use it, someone in need will get a new pump in a couple years' time.

I got a new one with my LO (insurance covered it) but it was because the one I used with my two older kids crapped out on me just before I weaned DD1. The only thing I did was replace all the rubber tubing and any rubber parts that touched milk. I also sanitized the flanges and the bottles before reusing. But other than that, I didn't see why I couldn't reuse my pump.

I will add though that if I have another baby, I'm getting a new pump. The one I'm using right now (Ameda Purely Yours) isn't working very well for me. The Medela brand works much better for me but I can't afford to spend the $ on a new one so I'll keep using the Ameda pump.

I had planned on it but it's been years now! I believe that Bm can get into the inside of the pump if it sucks back, which mine did a few times and because of that it's better to get a new one.

No I didn't but I didn't use mine much anyway, I did buy some new rubber things that go on your breasts (can't remember what they're called!)

Thank you everyone. I'm in the UK so would have to pay for a new one. I had an Avent single electric last time and it was fine for once a day pumping which is all I would be hoping to use it for this time. Just had a look at it and seen that it has a few bits of milk stuck in places on the motor bit which I just couldn't get out last time - despite wipes/cocktail stick poking etc (resisted the tempteation to dunk it in water). That bit is never meant to come into contact with milk so can't decide if it would be OK to reuse as in theory the new milk would never touch it or whether I should ditch it as clearly milk got there last time when it's not meant to be able to...

Ditch it. It's not that the new milk is touching the old milk, it's the spores from mold growing on the old milk riding through the air into the fresh milk. Dangerous and not visually detectable. Sorry, it sucks to not be able to re-use a high-ticket item. :(

Nicky, is it the older model of Avent or the newer model? The IQ Uno or Comfort?

I think they sell them with different names here it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SC...568&sr=8-4&keywords=Avent+breastpump+electric

Which I think is the iq uno in other countries...

Yes, that's what they call it here in Canada. Avent doesn't make that one anymore. I used to have the IQ Duo (double electric) and replaced it with the new model and am disappointed in it for the amount of money I spent. I much preferred the older model. It was quieter, got more milk, I liked that I could set my own pace and the memory feature and the new one doesn't have that memory feature. The older one was more comfortable.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up that if you're looking at another Avent, the newer model is NOT the greatest. I've been an avid Avent user for 7 years now. If you liked the old one, try and find it on Ebay or Amazon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->