do you save up for xmas or splurge and pay for it after?

babycrazy1706

Mummy to Elijah and TTC
Reaction score
just interesting to see how people shop around christmas time. ive noticed quite a few shops do saving plans iceland/morrisons etc. to spread the cost.
are you a planned saver or do you just buy and pay later on credit cards?
i personally just save money but i might use a saver plan next year :)

Neither - just buy from our salary as we go over 2 or 3 months. I don't think we spend as much as some though!

Usually I start setting money aside in October and November, and then if I overspend it just means December's pay day pays for it and I am little more careful January (which is fine as I haven't had to set aside money for Christmas as I would have done in October and November if that makes sense). I am opening up a Christmas saver with a building society in December this year for 2014 though because with having a baby over Christmas and the fact I am on maternity leave for most of next year I want to be able to have the money set aside gradually.

I would never splurge and pay it back later, I just couldn't enjoy that, I love Christmas as much as the next person but don't think people should get in debt for it!

My mother always got hampers and loans upon loans. It's not the way I want to do things. I buy presents throughout the year (love sales) and I save for our Christmas shop using a morrisons savers book. I currently have £69/£100 saved :)

I just buy throughout the year when I see things. No point getting into debt over Christmas. If I can't afford it I don't buy it x

I just buy bits when I can afford it, don't save and don't get in to debt. I do start early though! What's a Morrison's saver's book?

I just buy bits when I can afford it, don't save and don't get in to debt. I do start early though! What's a Morrison's saver's book?

You save 'stamps' then use that for your christmas food shop :) I'd put money away but I'm likely to spend it and we always use morrisons because we get a discount there x

We save a bit (in bank) and also start buying bits over a couple of months salary or so before Christmas. I wouldn't relax if I spent it all on credit and had to pay back later.

Never used savings plans as I'd be nervous in case the company went bust and I lost my money. Probably not going to happen to morrisons but I remember it happening with one of those online/mail order Christmas companies a few years ago, they went bust not long before Christmas and it was all in the news because loads of people lost their money and couldn't afford Christmas.

I try to start saving once January rolls around and I get so far and something usually comes up which means having to dip into it. I buy a few bits in October/November and probably spend a huge amount in December.

I haven't saved anything so far as we have been bombarded with bills recently so Christmas is going to be a bit cheap this year lol.

Depends on what the kiddos want. We do "Black Friday" and score pretty well for the bigger items. I save up by selling bits and pieces on eBay and usually have about $1500 a month extra that I stash away for Holidays and Birthdays.

We just buy bits & pieces in the last couple of months. I would never get into debt for Xmas.

If I was cooking the Xmas dinner, I would do the Morrisons Saver. Usually we take it in turns going to Grandparents for Dinner. My mam does the Morrisons stamps and on a few occasions she has done them for me & my sister as part of our Xmas present.

we save small amount from January for the whole year and increase the saving after August so we have a few hundred this will go towards all prezzies, food and time off over christmas so meals out etc.

No debt or credit here. Ispspend throughout the year and buy properly from August. We splurge still but get pretty much everything on offer or sale :)!

We start in January for the next year and buy all year that way we never have the big splurge. Dd1 birthday is 3 days after Christmas so it would be too expensive for us to try and do Christmas and birthday all in one. Also we don't have any credit cards. We don't do food stamps etc for the food shop either but equally we don't go over the top on food but I do get extra treats in my food shop from October/November so our christmas food shop is always a 'normal' shop.

I never pay for it afterwards. Normally we just use our October/ November savings but if its going to cost us more than that (hopefully not!!!) then we always have a plan in place. If we can't afford it out the money we physically have we don't get it.

I just split up cost from what we have starting september. We never over spend as would rather we arnt in debt after christmas

Neither here too, we pre-order our food and pay for it when we collect it in December out of convenience but that's about it, I've picked up a few small bits here and there but we do the bulk in November when we have the fund to do so.

neither, we just go with the money we have, sure it will all change once we have a baby!

I used to try and save until end of November but it never worked so I now start shopping waaay in advance to spread out the cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->