Do you see a nasal bone in this pic?

kejtia

Reaction score
Please help - this is my first pregnancy, I am at 12w3d, and my first trimester screening was last week (11w4d). The tech was not certified to do nasal bone stuff but mentioned that "everything looks fine" in a general way. She did not mention a nasal bone

Mainly concerned about Down Syndrome because lack of a nasal bone or a short one can be a soft marker - I thought I might relieve my mind by thinking about the fact that my baby seems to have a huge nose in this picture (lol), except now I'm reading that the nasal bone should be an "equal sign", i.e., parallel lines one on top of the other

I only see the one bright white line, but do you think this is evidence enough of a nasal bone? Does anyone know?

I can't get through to my doctor to ask her directly, so I'm hoping someone here can help by looking!

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 22
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 21
It looks fine to me, but I'm not experienced in ultrasounds. It's difficult to recognize certain things in an ultrasound. The internet is full of fear mongering and googling things really is the worst thing you can do.

In my son's 12 week scan you can barely tell that a nose even exists and is nowhere near as clear as yours. He's completely normal and my down syndrome risk came back 1 in 15,000.

ETA: This is the ultrasound of my son at 12 weeks. It's a short bone and there are no parallel lines.

Attachments

• will_12week.jpg
    will_12week.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 8
Thank you Leids! Yes, google is killing me. I just wish my dr would call me. That's a great risk assessment you have. Mine is 1/844 which I guess is a little higher than what I am comfortable with (though I know it's still very low given the risks someone people have given).

Thank you for adding this! Yours looks similar to mine - just the white line like you said. It's frustrating that none of dr google's pics look like my pic - bright white lines and giant choppers.

No problem. :) Every baby is different! There's too much out there that can worry us mom's like crazy. I wish I could say it gets easier!

Just an update - I started this string and wanted to let you all know that I got the results from my MaterniT21 blood test (which is 99% accurate) and the results are negative for DS! Healthy baby boy on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->