Do you think endangered species should be left to die out?

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
A lot of conservationists believe some animals (like the panda) should be left to die out as they're not adapting to the new world and too much money is being spent on one species when it could save 50 other species with the same amount and why should 'cute' animals be prioritised.

Thoughts?

for me it is one of those stories were i can understand both points of view.
If they arent adapting then they will dye anyway regardless how much money is spent on them
On th otherhand i can see why people think its terrible to let a species just die like that iykwim

what a random question lol ive never thought about it before.

i think if a species is naturaly dying out then it should be left alone, but if its caused by humans then i think the animals should be saved. but i guess thats easier said then done because its not like this money is spare right now

I totally understand why we should try and save them if its because of humans but theres always been animals that have died out or evolved :shrug: Its part of nature I guess.

IDK, i think a wildlife triage thing is a good idea. Concentrate on animals that can be saved and thrive in the wild once again and leave the ones that are too far gone to save. Sad but theres only so much breeding programs etc we can do.

i think if a species is naturaly dying out then it should be left alone, but if its caused by humans then i think the animals should be saved. but i guess thats easier said then done because its not like this money is spare right now

reason I ask is cos of the pandas coming to Edinburgh zoo :)

aww wow ive never seen pandas before, i might have to go see them when im next in scotland

I think it depends. If its proven that it's because of humans that a species is dying out, either through hunting, pollution or destruction of habitat then no - we should do everything to save these species.

However sometimes species die out because they are not a good 'fit'. They don't breed well or a natural non human introduced disease wipes them out. In these cases I think it can be argued that they should be left to their own devices because natural selection in these circumstances is part of evolution. After all, thousands of species have died out long before humans even existed.

aww wow ive never seen pandas before, i might have to go see them when im next in scotland

yeah theres been none in the UK for 17 years :) Its a bit controversial though as china has given us them as a political bribe :dohh: and theyre costing a lot of money. 70k per year in bamboo alone!

I think it depends. If its proven that it's because of humans that a species is dying out, either through hunting, pollution or destruction of habitat then no - we should do everything to save these species.

However sometimes species die out because they are not a good 'fit'. They don't breed well or a natural non human introduced disease wipes them out. In these cases I think it can be argued that they should be left to their own devices because natural selection in these circumstances is part of evolution. After all, thousands of species have died out long before humans even existed.

i think the same as this :thumbup:
you just put it a lot better than i would.

yeah theres been none in the UK for 17 years :) Its a bit controversial though as china has given us them as a political bribe :dohh: and theyre costing a lot of money. 70k per year in bamboo alone!

70k in bamboo is nuts! can't we grow a bamboo tree somewhere...

yeah apparently they are growing our own or something but having to import it from norway for a year :shrug:

never knew bamboo was so expensive. no wonder they like it! :haha:

isnt that a main reason why pandas are dying out? cos theres not enough bloody bamboo?

thats a hell of alot of money for bamboo...wonder if they will up the price of tickets for the zoo.

i thought panda were dying out because of hunting? i guess we can never really no

I think theyre losing their habitat and i know they only have 1 baby every 2 years and if they have twins they leave one to die cos they dont have enough milk for 2 :(

zoo tickets are sooo expensive. I get them free from work thankfully.

haven't the black rino just become extinct? I am sure I read that some were:(
its a tough question, but personally think if we can help, then we should

haven't the black rino just become extinct? I am sure I read that some were:(
its a tough question, but personally think if we can help, then we should

i think theres a few subspecies of them :shrug: I dunno tbh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15663982

just a question forthose who think all animals should be saved if they can.

would u give money each month to help with that or not? i just think its too easy to say no we should help but then where should the money come from?

just a question forthose who think all animals should be saved if they can.

would u give money each month to help with that or not? i just think its too easy to say no we should help but then where should the money come from?

every xmas we *adopt* an animal, I know its not much but we always *adopt* one that's not as popular in the world IYKWIM?

i wouldnt mind :shrug: My mum only donates to animal and children charities haha but she switches them up every year. this year is for training guide dogs :shrug: last year was some save the tiger charity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->