Do you think fathers have a right to decide your pain relief in labour?

Mummy_to_be87

Reaction score
Im watching ''dont just stand there Im having your baby'' on bbc three and the father is fully against his partner from having pain relief, she ended up with an epidural but in your opinion, do you think the father should be allowed to decide if you have pain relief or not? I personally believe it is the woman in labour and what she decides is most important, it is the mother who feels the pain! :shrug:

i'm with you on this - if I want pain relief I'll have it - my body, my choice! :thumbup:

Are you kidding me!!! What kind of man would think he has any right to decide what happens to my body. That is entirely ludicrous to me. I think I have this taping tonight, can't wait to watch now!

absolutely not, I think thats ridiculous that someone who is not in your situation deciding what's best for you!! That's similar to when my husband broke his leg, me taking it upon myself to tell the paramedic he doesn't want morphine.. Just a paracetamol for him lol stupid

haha, believe me my OH wouldnt of dared when i was in labour with my 1st, if he had of refused me pain relief i would of certainly took that out on his Nunchucks thats for certain!!!

:rofl:

I can see where if he thinks its affecting his baby(it is his too!) He might have a strong opinion on it. But if it were my OH id tell him that if I need/want it, ill be having it, but that he is welcome to provide me with the sources that have him so concerned so I can also be informed.

I like OH's opinion but that doesnt mean ill use it...I want to go through this natural and he at first was like no no what if you pass out from the pain in the middle of pushing da da da trying to scare me into getting the epidural but now when people are talking about me getting the epidural hes quicker than i am in telling the whole world im not getting it....(NOW even if i want to give in and get the epidural i cant cause everyone is so proud and looking up to me for doing it natural!!!!!)

Ha id kick him in the nads! Go a head try n tell me that lol

I'm with everyone above. While I'd be happy to hear OH's opinion, preferably BEFORE I was in labor, in the end he'd better not dare try to tell anyone what kind of pain relief I may or may not have. I'm shocked the guy in the show you're watching had the guts to mess with a woman in labor like that! I'd be telling him to get the hell out LOL

i can kind of understand where he is coming from, having read lots on pain relief, it does affect bub to some extent so i can see why he might not want it for his baby.
but to say that, if i want pain relief when it comes to it , no one will stop me ;)
im planning as natural as i can , (hypno and gas and air) but who knows how il feel when crunch time comes ;)

when i told my OH i wanted natural, he was horrified :)
he looked at me like i was mad and said if it was him he would have epi :)

My OH thinks I'm gonna end up with a epi but he knows I'll decide for myself. A opinion is ok telling a women in labour is poorly insensitive x

Ha ha, no way!! I think a dh can decide that for his wife once he has successfully squeezed a melon out of his penis.........:haha:

My OH pops anadin and ibroprufen just from a minor head ache so no, he definitely had no say in pain relief when i was in labour!

Haha yeah right!!
Although I must say that when I told OH I wanted a drug-free birth he was terrified! He thought I wouldn't be able to handle it.. And that it would be hard for him to support me through the labour and birth if i was in so much pain. I showed him, lol!

Well obviously I'm with everyone else on it being the mom's choice BUT this reminds me of what happened when I was in labor - we had discussed previously that we would try for a natural birth, had a doula etc We get to the hospital and there are all these forms to fill out which naturally OH is taking care of as I'm in labor and all. And right there on the form he rights in big letters "NO PAIN MEDICATION OF ANY KIND". Which I thought was a bit drastic. I'm sure they would have ignored those instructions if I had asked for pain meds but still, made me sort of giggle.

My OH is very against pain meds because of previously discussed risks to me due to medical conditions I have. He is going to be very adimint during my labor for me to not take anything. Even if I'm asking for it and frankly.. I'm ok with this. When the pain hits I may not think about what's going to be the best in the long run I'm probably gonna hit that wall where I just want out of the pain anyway possible.. And I'm very glad that he will be the one standing there telling me Nope you can do this on your own just get through the next contraction. I don't think fathers should be allowed to decide your pain relief right there. But I do believe especially in OH's case where he is trying to keep the two of us as safe as possible, I want his voice to be heard above mine when it comes to pain relief.

That guy made my blood boil because at first he didn't give a crap about his girlfriend just the baby. He also had no idea how much pain you can go thru comparing it to having a huge pooh!! I wanted to punch him. I want a natural water birth but if it comes to it I'll take the drugs! He was an utter plonker if you ask me. Comparing the drugs to heroin and crack!! Stupid

I didn't even see the show, but the guy sounds like a complete jerk. Isn't his job to be supportive of his wife and her needs? If she needs drugs, get her drugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->