Do you think Gary Mckinnon should face charges

Missy86

Family complete
Reaction score
Me and my Oh always argue about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_McKinnon

I think he should, he knew what he was doing.
It cant be a simple click of the mouse to get on to these sites.

We have been talking about this again due to the 19 year old in essex who has been charged with hacking

I don't think he should be extradited no. He has psycological issues and I don't think hes an international terrorist and I don't think he should be put in jail for a potential 70 years :\

They have been saying that the 19 year old has aspergers too

I wonder if all hackers have it and even if they did is it an reason not to be charged

No he shouldn't be charged and lets face it if the UK government wanted someone on similar, even more serious grounds you can betcha bottom dollar the US would not be as cooperative.

I don't think he should be extradited no. He has psycological issues and I don't think hes an international terrorist and I don't think he should be put in jail for a potential 70 years :\

I agree, I just don't think he'd cope.

No he shouldn't be charged and lets face it if the UK government wanted someone on similar, even more serious grounds you can betcha bottom dollar the US would not be as cooperative.

I think that's probably true too.

If a terrorist had done the same thing with these issues would you be as sympathetic

Also if he has these issues should someone have been keeping an eye on him

if a terrorist went looking for UFO info? lol.

not really. he didnt have malicious intentions. bit like how people can be charged with manslaughter with diminished responsibility or culpable homicide. They're not all charged with murder.

Nope he had no malicous intent. He was looking for UFO ffs :wacko:

I agree with the other posters above

I think he should still be charged for hacking but not 70years in jail, at the end of the day looking for UFO's or dangerous topics going via hacking is still breaking the law.. I did just see that both of these hackers seem to have Autisum (sp?) but still is that really an excuse to hack website? If every person who had it started doing crimes we the world but be in an even worse place.

^ Yes, it is an excuse. People with autism have huge issues with what is socially acceptable and also have obsessive behaviour and get totally obsessed with certain interests or hobbies. His brain doesn't work like ours does so I don't think it's fair to punish him on the same level we would be.

Quite frankly I think the whole case shows how little understanding the general public have of Autism and Aspergers. It is not an excuse for his behaviour....it is the reason why he behaves the way he does.

He is a grown man who is obsessed by proving that UFOs exist. Does that really sound dangerous? He is completely dependent on his family for support. As an adult with Autism he will not be able to tolerate extradition to the USA or 70 years in jail. The change in routine/ surroundings will result in him having a complete breakdown and most likely trying to take his own life....Because he wanted to prove there were UFOs. Does that really sound like a suitable punishment? He is not a terrorist.

Who is to say he didnt have malicious intentions? Because he said that he didnt??? Just because he is autistic and has aspergers doesnt mean he didnt know what he was doing in some way

Yes I do think he should go to jail, maybe 70 years is a bit much but hacking is hacking as someone else said, you do the crime you do the time!

lol. I agree with Lesley. He has obviously a HUGE knowledge of computers as he managed to hack them in the first place, if he wanted to do serious damage, he would have.

My MIL is a teacher who works with children with these issues, they still know right and wrong

I do agree that being sent to America is extreme but I still think he should be punished

Who is to say he didnt have malicious intentions? Because he said that he didnt??? Just because he is autistic and has aspergers doesnt mean he didnt know what he was doing in some way

Yes I do think he should go to jail, maybe 70 years is a bit much but hacking is hacking as someone else said, you do the crime you do the time!

I totally agree

My MIL is a teacher who works with children with these issues, they still know right and wrong

I do agree that being sent to America is extreme but I still think he should be punished

I am a teacher who has worked with many children on the Autistic Spectrum. While they may know right from wrong, the nature of obsession means that they will not be able to stop themselves from doing it anyway.

Fair enough if you believe that he has to serve time but 70 years in jail in the States? Really? The avereage sentence for rape in the UK is 8 years and for manslaughter it is 7. 70 years for Gary McKinnon doesn't feel slightly disproportionate to you?

What I meant in my last post is he should have a prison sentence but in this country

He got caught and if he didnt get caught who is to say he wouldnt of done some serious damage!!

He deleted critical files from operating systems, which shut down the US Army&#8217;s Military District of Washington network of 2,000 computers for 24 hours <<< Think it says it all really.

He still deserves a jail term like I said 70 years is a bit much but he should go to America, it was their system he hacked, why should he be tried here.. He could have done some serious damage if he wasnt caught. Regardless of whether he knew but had a compulsion to keep doing it it could have been a lot worse if they didnt catch him..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->