Do you think it is wrong for hunting to be used as a sport?

katrina1987

2 boys and Twin girls
Reaction score
I have been recently watching a programme and its based in the US. And it comes across to me that hunting over there seems to be a sport more then anything else. I have seen them shoot for fun a beautiful brown bear leavng the cubs to starve! Now my question is, Is it wrong to hunt for fun and as a sport?

IMO I think it's cruel, immoral, and that there must be better things to do then shoot poor defenseless animals.

What do you think?

These are the 52 big game animals in North America:

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
Barren Ground Grizzly Bear
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Alaska Yukon Barren Ground Caribou
Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Central American Whitetail Deer
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Northeastern Whitetail Deer
Northwestern Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Southeastern Whitetail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
Collared Peccary or Javelina
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

I don't agree with it and I don't see whats fun about hunting, But Im an animal lover so maybe my opinion is a bit one sided.

I don't agree with it at all. I think its terrible that people just go out there and kill animals for "fun". Its not right!

I think its evil. What gives us the right to kill for fun? At least when animals kill/hunt its for food

I don't agree with it at all. I don't see what's so 'sporting' about shooting things that have no defence or way out. IMO it's a very sick kind of 'fun'.

I am in the US and No I do not think it is cruel to hunt for fun, as a sport, or anything else.

Most hunters "kill" deer, bear, alligator, etc because this is how they feed there family.

how on earth do you think most of you eat. Chickens, cows, pigs, etc are killed in the same manor. Yes! There are factories that "humanely" kill these animals and process them, but seriously how can killing any animal be "humane"?

I for one am a hunter myself and see nothing wrong with it. There are a lot of people that only trophy hunt. Meaning kill just for the antlers, hide, or to mount. But in these cases the remaining body is donated to ensure the meat is processed and given to families in need.

I like to eat! Rather it be deer, chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, alligator, etc.

I dont agree with hunting but at the same time I eat meat and they have to kill animals to get that meat. Sort of the same thing.

I am in the US and No I do not think it is cruel to hunt for fun, as a sport, or anything else.

Most hunters "kill" deer, bear, alligator, etc because this is how they feed there family.

how on earth do you think most of you eat. Chickens, cows, pigs, etc are killed in the same manor. Yes! There are factories that "humanely" kill these animals and process them, but seriously how can killing any animal be "humane"?

I for one am a hunter myself and see nothing wrong with it. There are a lot of people that only trophy hunt. Meaning kill just for the antlers, hide, or to mount. But in these cases the remaining body is donated to ensure the meat is processed and given to families in need.

There's a HUGE difference between hunting for food and hunting for sport, for example, fox hunting. who do you know who eats fox??

I think its disgusting. Its sick and not right. If we were MEANT to kill animals - we would have been given the natural means of doing so (like sharks, tigers etc) We would have longer legs to run faster, sharper teeth to rip raw flesh, and claws to hunt animals down. But we dont! We are no more well equipped at hunting than a cow.
We hunt them because they have lower IQ's - basically, because they cant talk.
If a bear could plead with you not to kill it - most people wouldnt kill it.
Dont you think they would plead for their life.......if they could?

We are vegetarian.

I think I may regret replying on this thread as I feel so strong about it. But I just cannot understand it in this day and age :(

There's a HUGE difference between hunting for food and hunting for sport, for example, fox hunting. who do you know who eats fox??

exactly!

exactly!

Well, not neccessarily. Meat isnt exactly something we NEED anymore. But maybe thats a whole other thread.

I'm a vegetarian animal rights campaigner.. you can guess what my opinions are :haha:

I feel extremely sick when I see/hear of people hunting for fun. One case I had to look at once was a rich man who had paid for a Lion to be trapped in a tennis court sized cage filled with trees/bushes and long grass, this man then walked into this cage and shot the Lion.. a total of 5 times before the poor thing eventually gave up and died..

I don't think many people think that is okay.

I understand people hunt for food, I agree with that more than the 'normal' way of intensive farm rearing animals.

I don't agree with hunting for fun at all. The old man didn't eat the Lion he killed, the people that go fox hunting don't eat the foxes (who would?!)

It really makes my blood boil.. I'll stop typing now before I say something silly!

Fox hunting in America is not a sport. The few foxes that are killed are killed for there fur to be sold at the fur market for the trappers family to make money.

Hunting seasons in the US are structered around the ability for the young to survive on there own. And also each state has a widlife department that determines what the habitat of that state can support population wise of each animal and limits are placed on that animal to ensure proper population control.

Hunting in the US is not the same as it was 100 years ago. You can not just walk out the door and kill as many of whatever animal you want. There are limits and restrictions on every huntable animal in the US. We have hundreds of organizations, such as Hunters Feeding the Hungry, that trophy hunters have to donate the meat to. And that meat is used to feed homeless families.

US has a law against Wanton Waste of game. That means it is illegal to not eat or donate meat of the animal you kill.

I think its disgusting. Its sick and not right. If we were MEANT to kill animals - we would have been given the natural means of doing so (like sharks, tigers etc) We would have longer legs to run faster, sharper teeth to rip raw flesh, and claws to hunt animals down. But we dont! We are no more well equipped at hunting than a cow.
We hunt them because they have lower IQ's - basically, because they cant talk.
If a bear could plead with you not to kill it - most people wouldnt kill it.
Dont you think they would plead for their life.......if they could?

We are vegetarian.

I think I may regret replying on this thread as I feel so strong about it. But I just cannot understand it in this day and age :(

I was not refering to vegeterians in my post.

I think if you go out and you hunt to feed your family then that is completely fine, but if you go out and you kill an animal for "fun" then you are cruel human being x

Fox hunting in America is not a sport. The few foxes that are killed are killed for there fur to be sold at the fur market for the trappers family to make money.

Hunting seasons in the US are structered around the ability for the young to survive on there own. And also each state has a widlife department that determines what the habitat of that state can support population wise of each animal and limits are placed on that animal to ensure proper population control.

Hunting in the US is not the same as it was 100 years ago. You can not just walk out the door and kill as many of whatever animal you want. There are limits and restrictions on every huntable animal in the US. We have hundreds of organizations, such as Hunters Feeding the Hungry, that trophy hunters have to donate the meat to. And that meat is used to feed homeless families.

US has a law against Wanton Waste of game. That means it is illegal to not eat or donate meat of the animal you kill.

it sounds very different in the US! I love this Wanton Waste of Game law!! :thumbup:

I think like in certain parts of the world when people kill to support there families and to feed them there is nothing wrong with this because this is the way they have been doing it for years going back through genrations of families and they don't do it in mass either, unlike people killing for the sheer hell of it. Yes I eat chicken, beef, pork ect but these animals are bred in mass for this purpose but no I would not eat a polar bear. To me there is a big difference and to the fact quite a lot will become extinct one day because of this aswell. I hope this makes sense

i think it depends on the animal and why
you are killing them ...

i don't agree with killing them for fun
especially animals that are in small numbers

however if you are killing for example a chicken
or cow etc to eat then it's fine as they're in
large numbers and most are bred for consumption

i do think people who go around randomly shooting
anything that moves are wrong, to me if you're
going to kill something, it should be for a good reason
and 'fun' is not a good enough reason to me

:flower: