Do you think it is wrong for hunting to be used as a sport?

The only time I think hunting is okay is if all the animal is used. I'm not even saying, take the meat you want and the rest is tossed. I'm talking using all you can. Other than that, I hate it. My husband has mentioned going hunting a couple times and I told him in no uncertain terms that that was fine, HOWEVER only if he planned on learning how to use all of the animal. I don't think he'll ever take it up.

Myself, I wouldn't be too keen on eating carnivore meat - too many parasites. So I'm not a big fan of hunting top predators like the big cats or even bears. I appreciate that others do eat them, so fair enough.
I would eat venison or bison or several other wild meats over factory farm meat any day, however. It's healthier, it's more in balance with the ecosystem (as long as hunting laws and restrictions are followed that protect sustainable populations), it is WAY better for the environment overall, and that animal had a free-roaming natural existence in which it could fulfill its instincts (as opposed to some "life" in a tiny box of a cage inside a massive barn that never even sees sunlight - talk about inhumane).
I completely disagree with the comment that we are not designed to eat meat. Plenty of other primates do. We have the appropriate dentition for meat-eating, even though we don't kill with our mouths. And guess what else we have that makes us very good hunters? A really really awesome brain. That's our evolutionary trump card. That's why we were able to figure out how to use a pointy stick to do the work of teeth and claws. So that body design argument doesn't hold any water with me. And for the record, I was a vegetarian for six years. I appreciate food and politics. I now feel that eating locally and as close to your natural food chain as possible is the best way to go. Out here in Alberta, where the buffalo used to roam, eating bison and deer is doing just that. That has way less impact than turning a prairie into a wheat crop or bean crop.
So I guess for me, it's not a question of cruelty. It's more about balance and ecological impact.

im in the US and my cuzins hunt and i think its completly wrong just to go out and do it for fun....if u and your family are starving and have no food then yes i think its ok to kill for food. but not just to get the skin or horns or whatever off the animal. i kinda think fishing is the same way eventhough there are tons of fish thats not the point. the point is there being killed just for fun its not right

I don't know anyone that hunts for sport. Everyone I know that hunts eats what they kill.

Of course, in VA they can kill coyotes whenever except Sunday because they are vermin. I don't agree with that. It's like killing a dog.

I don't have a problem with people hunting if they are (going back to the Indians ways) using EVERYTHING on that animal.

I understand there isn't much we can do with the bones anymore since we don't make weapons, tools, or jewelry from it....But I think that the meat, hide, and fur should be used.

I feel like you are "wasting" the animals life if you don't get as much out of it as possible.

I have been recently watching a programme and its based in the US. And it comes across to me that hunting over there seems to be a sport more then anything else. I have seen them shoot for fun a beautiful brown bear leavng the cubs to starve! Now my question is, Is it wrong to hunt for fun and as a sport?

IMO I think it's cruel, immoral, and that there must be better things to do then shoot poor defenseless animals.

What do you think?

These are the 52 big game animals in North America:

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
Barren Ground Grizzly Bear
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Alaska Yukon Barren Ground Caribou
Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Central American Whitetail Deer
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Northeastern Whitetail Deer
Northwestern Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Southeastern Whitetail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
Collared Peccary or Javelina
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

I just looked at this list a little bit more deeply, and some of these animals would never be touched. I am not saying that there's not some slack jawed yokels who would enjoy shooting one of these animals, but there are regulations on what you can and can't shoot and even when or what time of the year you can.

I can't imagine someone shooting a walrus, polar bear, or wolverine.I think Grey wolves are endangered, you can get in huge trouble for shooting one of those. As for the alligator or the big cats. I have to be honest, if i saw one I would probably shoot it because if it's looking at me then it might be eating me shortly. They are pretty predatory. Black bears are pretty docile, the other bears, not so much. Still, I also think there are guidelines on where and when and even how you can kill them.

What is the program you saw? Do you remember?

I have been recently watching a programme and its based in the US. And it comes across to me that hunting over there seems to be a sport more then anything else. I have seen them shoot for fun a beautiful brown bear leavng the cubs to starve! Now my question is, Is it wrong to hunt for fun and as a sport?

IMO I think it's cruel, immoral, and that there must be better things to do then shoot poor defenseless animals.

What do you think?

I just looked at this list a little bit more deeply, and some of these animals would never be touched. I am not saying that there's not some slack jawed yokels who would enjoy shooting one of these animals, but there are regulations on what you can and can't shoot and even when or what time of the year you can.

I can't imagine someone shooting a walrus, polar bear, or wolverine.I think Grey wolves are endangered, you can get in huge trouble for shooting one of those. As for the alligator or the big cats. I have to be honest, if i saw one I would probably shoot it because if it's looking at me then it might be eating me shortly. They are pretty predatory. Black bears are pretty docile, the other bears, not so much. Still, I also think there are guidelines on where and when and even how you can kill them.

I was thinking this myself when I was reading through the list. Several of these species have protected status and are threatened or endangered in certain areas. The caribou species, for example - mountain caribou are endangered here. I believe they are on the IUCN Red List now? Have to check that.
And grizzly bears in my province now have threatened status.
It depends where you are. Polar bear hunts happen here. So do walrus. Wolves, too.
They are based on population counts and vary from place to place.
Also, it was stated that they shot a brown bear that had cubs? I'm not a hunter, so I am not familiar with all of the hunting regulations in various regions, but is it not illegal to shoot a mother with young? For pretty much all species? Was the program showing an instance of poaching? Not sure I understood that part correctly. At any rate, it doesn't sound like what I have always understood to be allowed. :shrug:

As for the shooting in self-defense part, I don't know if I agree.
I don't even own a gun, so I certainly don't hike with one, but I have no concerns at all about being attacked by a predatory animal while out in the bush. Firstly, you have a better chance of being hit by lightning three times than you do of being attacked by a cougar or a bear. So statistically, it's just not a good enough reason to be worried. Secondly, I am very careful to be aware and cautious when I'm in their territory. I follow behaviour guidelines and I stay out of places where I know they are active. Hunting is one thing, but packing a weapon (and possibly killing an animal) because you are paranoid is another. The statistics just don't back up the need to carry a weapon for self-defense in the wild.
There are exceptions to this, of course (polar bear territory requires you to know how to operate a rifle, even if you are just there for research). But most places just require a good knowledge of the land and the animal inhabitants. That's my take on it, anyway. :flower:

What do you think?

I was thinking this myself when I was reading through the list. Several of these species have protected status and are threatened or endangered in certain areas. The caribou species, for example - mountain caribou are endangered here. I believe they are on the IUCN Red List now? Have to check that.
And grizzly bears in my province now have threatened status.
It depends where you are. Polar bear hunts happen here. So do walrus. Wolves, too.
They are based on population counts and vary from place to place.
Also, it was stated that they shot a brown bear that had cubs? I'm not a hunter, so I am not familiar with all of the hunting regulations in various regions, but is it not illegal to shoot a mother with young? For pretty much all species? Was the program showing an instance of poaching? Not sure I understood that part correctly. At any rate, it doesn't sound like what I have always understood to be allowed. :shrug:

As for the shooting in self-defense part, I don't know if I agree.
I don't even own a gun, so I certainly don't hike with one, but I have no concerns at all about being attacked by a predatory animal while out in the bush. Firstly, you have a better chance of being hit by lightning three times than you do of being attacked by a cougar or a bear. So statistically, it's just not a good enough reason to be worried. Secondly, I am very careful to be aware and cautious when I'm in their territory. I follow behaviour guidelines and I stay out of places where I know they are active. Hunting is one thing, but packing a weapon (and possibly killing an animal) because you are paranoid is another. The statistics just don't back up the need to carry a weapon for self-defense in the wild.
There are exceptions to this, of course (polar bear territory requires you to know how to operate a rifle, even if you are just there for research). But most places just require a good knowledge of the land and the animal inhabitants. That's my take on it, anyway. :flower:

I only mean if I was walking and let's say saw an alligator standing directly in front of me. I might be inclined to shoot it because they will eat people and are known to. Of course, hypothetical.. we don't even have alligators here and the mountain lions are scarce. I also don't carry a gun around either. I only mean I could see it if I felt my life was threatened. However, I get your point. :)

As for the mom with her young. Oh yes, you can get in huge trouble for that. In fact, here they have hunting season based on when an animal wouldn't have cubs, and with the deers we only have a certain time we can even shoot a doe.

I agree that this show almost sounds like poaching as opposed to a North American hunter.

What do you think?

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

Thats a good point. Plus I don't know anyone who would hunt a wild goat :haha:

About half of those are on the endangered species list, so I'm not even sure why they are on a "big game" list.

What do you think?

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

I don't off the top of my head but I watched part 3 of me and the bear family that has been on BBC. And this was based in forests of Minnesota, about black bears through spring, summer and winter. And a hunter just shot the black bear and the bears that have reasearch collars and ribbons on are not suppose to be shot so all they did was shoot her and dump her off at the centre anonymously, she was killed with no reason fun. They did not use her fur or meat and like some people state is the other posts it's ok to kill them if you do this. To me it's ccompletely wrong full stop. Its on the I player and is def a watch its in three parts but was amazing. Gordon Buchanan was the wildlife camera man, and also who got close to the families, feeding them, stroking them, checking there weight it was really good.

What do you think?

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

About half of those are on the endangered species list, so I'm not even sure why they are on a "big game" list.

Although these animals may be on the indangered species list it does not stop immoral people hunting them and possibly causing them to become extinct.

What do you think?

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

Although these animals may be on the indangered species list it does not stop immoral people hunting them and possibly causing them to become extinct.

Ok, that may be true, but I am telling you as someone that lives in America that we don't typically go around just picking off animals for fun. I know I can't speak for everyone...but if nothing else, you can get fined and arrested for doing that stuff. This isn't a general rule of thumb. Please don't assume all Americans do this. As a general rule we not only don't, but can't.

That is why I asked where you saw this.

What do you think?

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

I don't off the top of my head but I watched part 3 of me and the bear family that has been on BBC. And this was based in forests of Minnesota, about black bears through spring, summer and winter. And a hunter just shot the black bear and the bears that have reasearch collars and ribbons on are not suppose to be shot so all they did was shoot her and dump her off at the centre anonymously, she was killed with no reason fun. They did not use her fur or meat and like some people state is the other posts it's ok to kill them if you do this. To me it's ccompletely wrong full stop. Its on the I player and is def a watch its in three parts but was amazing. Gordon Buchanan was the wildlife camera man, and also who got close to the families, feeding them, stroking them, checking there weight it was really good.

Well that is just horrible!

Seriously, that's not normal.

i dont dissagree with hunting PESTS for fun. i dont know an awfull lot about hunting in the states so i dont realy have an oppinion but i dont disagree with fox hunting, lamping ect as these animals are pests and need to be controled.

i dont dissagree with hunting PESTS for fun. i dont know an awfull lot about hunting in the states so i dont realy have an oppinion but i dont disagree with fox hunting, lamping ect as these animals are pests and need to be controled.

All I keep thinking about with vermin hunting is that someday those same "vermin" will be considered endangered and then protected. Killing animals almost to extinction... I don't get.

I disagree with hunting for fun but I dont have a problem with people hunting if they are going to eat the animal

I'm from South Africa and absolutely hate the idea of hunting for sport/fun/trophies. At the moment all our rhinos are being poached for their horns because there is idiots who believe it's an aphrodisiac in the Chinese medicine.

Why would you want a lion, antelope etc head on your wall in the first place?:shrug: Or a dead animal skin on your floor as decoration. Our leopards are also being killed for their skin because of some of the tribes here believing that the king have to wear it. Grrr. Sorry it's really doing my head in to kill all these animals for no particular good reason. For food i can handle.

What about our future generations in any country? Don't they have to right to have all these animals too? A heritage?

Sorry for my little rant, hehe. Just feel very strongly about this as our Rhino numbers are declining so rapidly it's scary.

I am in the US and No I do not think it is cruel to hunt for fun, as a sport, or anything else.

Most hunters "kill" deer, bear, alligator, etc because this is how they feed there family.

how on earth do you think most of you eat. Chickens, cows, pigs, etc are killed in the same manor. Yes! There are factories that "humanely" kill these animals and process them, but seriously how can killing any animal be "humane"?

I for one am a hunter myself and see nothing wrong with it. There are a lot of people that only trophy hunt. Meaning kill just for the antlers, hide, or to mount. But in these cases the remaining body is donated to ensure the meat is processed and given to families in need.

I like to eat! Rather it be deer, chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, alligator, etc.

There's a HUGE difference between hunting for food and hunting for sport, for example, fox hunting. who do you know who eats fox??

fox hunting is a way to control the fox population. it may be illegal to go fox hunting now but the same amount still die every year as they are killed anyway by farmers to protect there livestock and if anything they die a more painful death now as most are shot but dont die instantly

What do you think?

American Alligator
Pronghorn Antelope
American Black Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Common Grizzly Bear
Polar Bear
American Bison
Barren Ground Muskox
Greenland Muskox
Artic Islands Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Woodland Caribou
Bobcat
Canada Lynx
Jaguar
Mountain Lion
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Gray Brown Brocket Deer
Mexican Whitetail Deer
Red Brocket Deer
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Texas Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
American Mountain Goat
Alaska Yukon Moose
Eastern Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Western Canada Moose
White Lipped Peccary
California Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Atlantic Walrus
Pacific Walrus
Gray Wolf
Wolverine

Ok, that may be true, but I am telling you as someone that lives in America that we don't typically go around just picking off animals for fun. I know I can't speak for everyone...but if nothing else, you can get fined and arrested for doing that stuff. This isn't a general rule of thumb. Please don't assume all Americans do this. As a general rule we not only don't, but can't.

That is why I asked where you saw this.

I am not saying all Amercans are like this, it's just this specific programme was based in the US, Minnesota. They were just killing for fun and what was described as a sport. I don't see how this is justified along with many other animals that are killed unless you are doing to keep you family alive and this is the case in certain parts of the world.

Like close to the Arctic and Atlantic oceans well between there, there is a place called Greenland inwhich there are a community well infact a town of people called the Inuit hunters in North Greenland now these are people that rely on there source of food by hunting. They will kill seals and walrusses to feed there families. It's not like they can go pick up a chciken or cow at there local supermarket. In certain parts they do offer meat that is shipped across but they cannot afford to pay £40.00 for a few lamb chops.

The point I am trying to make is why do they need to hunt bears, aligators ect when there is a source of food already like cows, chickens, lamb, beef ect. What is the point in killing more animals when there is no need and certainlly killing them for fun?

I just remember seeing that picture in the paper ( think it was sarah palens daughters ) hunting? made me feel sick x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->