Do you think that its bad luck to buy a pushchair or buggy before the babies arrival?

yumumleelou

Reaction score
to cut a long story short...
I brought a three wheeler buggy/pram today, because i saw it at a secondhand baby store, it is in lovely condition and has a car seat, rain cover, changing bag, changing mat, (to name but a few bits that came with it) for just £160*. because it had so many great accessoriest, i thought it would sell fast, so i rushed to buy. i saw it sat in the shop window yesterday and decided that no other push chair will do, i just had to have it! so i rang my father and asked to borrow the money till pay day, he agreed and i went along my way, to purchase my lovely three wheeler. Because i live with my fiances mother and she smokes, i rang MY mother and asked if she could put it in her attic, as our baby is not due for another 7 months, and we are moving soon into a smoke free environment, i don't want it smelling like an ashtray.
my mother then said...
''oh you silly girl, don't you know that its bad luck nobody, buys the pram before the birth"
i then replied...
"but it was a bargain"
she then asked...
did you pay for it?
i said, "no, why?" at this point i was in tears worried about the welfare of our unborn child.
she then said...
"oh don't worry then, as long as you didn't pay for it
so, i just wanted to know if anyone else thinks its bad luck?
my fiance says my mother is too superstitious. i agree.

we did, i just bought one for Kabe and Izzie so we have a double one, but nothing was bad with that, he still came out as a baby lol. ok so he was early, but that was because if something else, i wouldnt listen to be honest :)

cheers, it's still is upsetting to think your own mother would be so cruel.

im 38 weeks and bought our pushchair yesterday, iv never been supersticious about things like that and have been buying stuff for buba since 20 weeks, the thing is people say dont buy a pram or car seat till the baby is born but when u leave hospital they wont let the baby leave unless u have a car seat so u kinda have to buy one and its normally cheaper to buy pram and car seat together as atravel system. dont worry about the baby everything will be fine, u should feel proud of your purchase hun and enjoy it, i mean how can buying a pram harm your baby thats how i see it x x

Ignore it, my mum told me not to get anything before 3 months "just in case".. grr, I did and Bethanie is here today over a year old.

Buy what you like :)

i feel alot better now, was tempted to buy the matching high chair. lol!

Im still TTC but have a pram, not very nice of her to say that to you.

she is on her way to pick the pram up, will update in an hour or so. depending on how long she stays to make me feel bad about myself x x x x x

ive hd mine since 12 weeks and everything is ok so far . just ignore it hun just an old wives tale

she has been and gone.
she arrived as planned to pick up my pram and as i wheeled it out from through the kitchen to the living room her face lit up, and she said... ah lis' its gorgeous, i can tell why you wanted it so bad.
well chuffed, was all a silly comment i took way too seriously. lol
i can laugh at it now but at the time i felt like poo! x x x

Glad to hear it all turned out well. :) I bet she'll be turning up with bags of stuff now lol.

Some people say its bad luck to have it in your house until after 28 weeks but I've never heard that you should buy it after the birth

yeah that was what she said but she rushed to pick it up as if she didn't want it in the house x x

its our tradition to buy stuff and not have it delivered until the baby is born
as ppl said u need the car seat for the hospital but other than that ill probably follow this tradition, and also just get a few clothes items.

shops wont close after baby is born so there will be time

ive heard this one, but i think its only supposed to be back luck if you keep it in the house before the birth.

I had mine for weeks before callum was born and he is perfectly fine.

Its jus an old wives tale.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"