Do you throw shoes away if you step in poo?

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
So my 3-year-old went out into my parents garden and stepped up into their raised flower-beds and ended up stepping in cat crap. His shoes stank and even though I have scrubbed them and washed them it's still lingering. I'm just a bit upset as they're £40 Clarks purchased a week ago and his only decent pair of shoes, we have to budget really tightly and watch every single penny. Am I just going to have to accept they're ruined and buy new ones? x

I would put in the washing machine with a nice conditioner but no way would I be throwing them out

If they're washable I'd wash them in the washing machine. Apparently putting them in a freezer bag and freezing them kills bacteria which then stops the smell, never tried it myself but may be worth a try!

Yep I second ( or 3rd) the washing machine hun xxx

Might be worth trying baking powder to absorb the smell - depending where it is. I definitely wouldn't throw them out

I always stick the kids shoes in the washing machine, I figure kill or cure ... They even go in the tumble dryer lol. Clarke shoes, their lights still flash non stop! Lol

I would be soaking in dettol overnight. I've had to scrub crap off the kids chose a few times - village is ridic for dog crap! -

Like everyone else, I'd throw them in the washing machine. If, after trying everything, the smell still lingered, then I'd throw them out no matter the cost. But surely there's something to try that will get rid of it

I'm sure a soak in Dettol and hot water will do the trick on all counts. The only way I would throw away a brand new pair of shoes would be if they got nuclear waste on them, haha.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I put them in the washing machine for a long wash with lots of Dettol and fabric conditioner and they've come out lovely and clean and don't seem to smell :)

glad the washing machine worked! :D I was going to suggest that. I always put shoes in the washing machine, seems to scrub them up pretty clean.

Glad they came out clean I was just going to say I would try anything rather than bin them haha x

If they were cheapies from somewhere like Primark and were a fabric covered type shoe I would be inclined to get rid. But 'proper' shoes, no. They will be clean eventually! The other's suggestions are good. Bicarb of soda is meant to be good for removing smells too.

No way would I throw them away, shoes are too expensive! I just scrub them really well and that seems to get rid of the smell. I've never put shoes in the washing machine, I've never been really sure if you're supposed to do that - so you can really put shoes in the washing machine??

No way would I throw them away, shoes are too expensive! I just scrub them really well and that seems to get rid of the smell. I've never put shoes in the washing machine, I've never been really sure if you're supposed to do that - so you can really put shoes in the washing machine??

That's what I thought but after reading the advice on here decided to chance it and they're fine, they look brand new again x

That's what I thought but after reading the advice on here decided to chance it and they're fine, they look brand new again x

Think I might try it out with some old shoes of Maria's and see if they survive the wash. Do you just put them in by themselves or stick them in with a normal wash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->