Do you wash new baby clothes ?

Baby1988

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if you have/plan to wash all your new baby clothes before he/she arrives. I'm planning on washing all the vests n baby grows etc .. But not sure about the other clothes ..

Views/opinions please :)

xx

Yes yes yes.
I read an article a few years ago and it was about tests on clothing from shops. They had traces of faecal matter, cervical mucous :sick: urine on them.
Also, the pain white baby clothes are covered in a chemical that makes them stay bright white in the shop.
ALWAYS wash your children's clothes first.
I never used to because I liked the way they looked before washing, but I certainly did after reading this. I'll try and find the article.

I usually do but sometimes with stuff like jackets I don't xx

Yuck hehe that's gross .. I'll defo wash them all now .. Keep me busy for the rest of my maternity leave :) x

This is only about adult clothing (can't seem to find the baby one) :dohh: but imagine the amount of people that manhandle all the baby clothes, touching them, feeling them, holding them up to see if they like them.

https://www.divinecaroline.com/self/wellness/wash-and-wear-new-clothes-are-chock-full-toxins

I always wash ALL clothing that I purchase at stores, my own and my baby's. People are NASTY and you never know how many people have touched and tried on the clothes you are buying.

I've started and will be washing everything. Clothes, blankets, towels, sheets, jackets, muslins any pram teddies etc

I intended to wash all of my DD's clothes the week before my due date (as she was my first, I just assumed I would go to my due date at least, if not over), but she came at 38 weeks, and we found ourselves using the clothes without washing them as we just had no time during those first crazy days at home. The thing is, they spit up on, poop on, or pee on their clothes so quickly at that age that she never wore anything unwashed for more than four or five hours anyway. :shrug:

I don't always wash the clothes we get as presents - I have a fairly laid back approach to germs - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger etc

I think i will be, but really wishing I didnt live in a condo complex right now where I have to pay to use washer/dryer ugh. Maybe Ill pack everything up one day and wash at my parents house!

Feel a bit embarrassed that i havent washed my babas clothes. Thing is there has been so much stuff bought for him i want to keep the tags on in case we dont use some of the clothes and i can then swap them for bigger sizes because we have all the reciepts.
I think ill wash all his baby grows and vests this week though and his new crib sheets and blankets.

I washed most of it with DD1 and most the clothes are passed down to this baby, I never washed delicate dresses or things that would need ironed though, some things just look awful after being washed. I do spot cleaning on those things. I look at the places they were bought, most the dresses came from more reputable shops and I know how clean they keep them (plus no one tries on baby clothes so I know they haven't been tried on)

I have just finished putting away all the baby clothes I washed yesterday. Some were DD1's and have been stored so absolutley needed it. The rest are new but when I was pregnant last time I read you should wash them all so I've done the same again with the new stuff.

I've also washed all the bedding, blankets, bibs, muslins etc too.

As a first timer, I'll probably be overly cautious and do anything that might touch bare skin - so crib sheets, blankets, etc - as well as all clothes, even if they come in plastic packaging.

Having worked retail, I have an idea of how dirty back store rooms can be, so even without the factor of whether things have been tried on before... stuff can still be dirty.

I have washed EVERYTHING cloth that will be touching baby's skin. You never know where they have been - even if the shop they were purchased at is clean - you don't know who or what has been on them during manufacturing and production

This is only about adult clothing (can't seem to find the baby one) :dohh: but imagine the amount of people that manhandle all the baby clothes, touching them, feeling them, holding them up to see if they like them.

https://www.divinecaroline.com/self/wellness/wash-and-wear-new-clothes-are-chock-full-toxins

your sig always makes me think i have a bug on my screen hehe

i'm washing all my NB and 0-3 mo. clothes. when he gets bigger, i'll wash the rest, but i want to make sure he'll fit them, and that if i need to return things, i can.

Feel abit bad now to be honest.
I intended on washing all DD1's clothes, but seriously never got round to it, she just had SO much. Most of the clothes we have for #2 are passed down from DD1 or my neice whos literally a few months old and wore them once or twice.. So theyve actually been washed already. But i'm not too cautious on germs and stuff. Suppose it never did DD1 any harm.

I washed all of my babies clothes in purex baby detergent. I figured it was a good idea since most baby clothes are not really hand made and I don't like the chemicals companies use to clean things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->