Doctor Doesn't Do Blood Work?

margeandmom

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Question! So got my BFP last Friday, 10 DPO woo-hoo! :happydance:

I finally saw my primary care today (14 dpo) was so excited, but it was kind of disappointing because all they did was pee test. It confirmed I was pregnant, but then they said for anything else needed OBGYN (which is what I wanted to do in the first place, but insurance said I had to start here :dohh:)

So just made a call to OBGYN and it was kind of anti-climatic. They said my first appt wont be until 8-10 weeks (over one month from now) and that they don't do blood work. They consider the pee test confirmation. :shrug:

For the record, I'm in the Pacific Northwest in USA. It's one of the best OBGYNs in the area (I think, just moved here so I don't know, just going off reviews). :shrug:

I guess now I am worried that I am just going to be peeing on sticks for the next two months! I was hoping that blood work would help me relax, but now I have no idea what's going on... I feel pregnant (so hungry all the time! Gaining weight really quickly :wacko:) But I just wanted to be sure it's not ectopic or some other problem.

But has anyone else had this experience? Did it work out okay?

This is my first pregnancy, if that explains anything!

Thanks!

I went through something similar, ended up going to Planned Parenthood and lying saying I didn't know when my last period was, they gave me a "dating ultrasound" at 6+4 (funny enough, baby measured exactly 6+4 and the EDD I was already attached to didn't change)

They dont do bloodwork in the uk, unless there is an issue and the first u/s isnt until 12weeks usually x

It's fairly typical, even in the US to not get an appointment until 8-10 weeks. Blood work depends on the treating provider. Some do, some don't.

Hard as it is, try not to overthink it and worry. Chances are good that things develop where they should and that everything is okay. Speaking from experience, this worry won't end with having bloodwork done. A new anxiety will ALWAYS take its place. I had blood work, ultrasound, and have heard the heartbeat twice on a Doppler but I STILL have anxiety that something's could go wrong even though I have no reason to think that way. Don't allow the anxiety to overcome your every waking thought. Occupy your time with an activity of some sort.

Congratulations!!

That seems about right. There's no need for blood work unless you've had issues or are having issues. And, fwiw, you can have blood work drawn and numbers look good and still not have a viable pregnancy (happened to me twice). Congratulations

Thank you guys so much for the responses!! :hugs:

This was very helpful. Everyone on BMB seems to be mentioning blood work and HGC levels so I just assumed that it was normal to test those. I know realize they don't do that early unless there is a reason to. So fingers crossed they don't need to!

So sorry to hear that Scout :hugs:

PS: Scheduled my first apt, 7 weeks, April 24th. 20 days from today! So excited!

I go to the best OBGYN in my state as well, and they don't do any blood work unless they think there's a problem. They consider the at-home pregnancy test to be just as good as their blood tests. That being said, they have ultrasound machines in their practice, and they do an ultrasound at your first appointment (8-10 weeks unless you're spotting or just dying to come in earlier) and then another ultrasound 2 weeks later at which they can supposedly determine the viability of the pregnancy at 98% accuracy.

It's actually very normal not to have bloodwork done. It is only ever done when a woman is either anticipated to have or has a history of early pregnancy problems.

The start of pregnancy is massively anticlimactic compared to the highs of the testing period.

Here in the UK we get seen around 8 weeks for our initial appt and then we don't get a scan till 12 weeks (unless there is an indication)... It's pretty crappy but just how it is. We almost never get bloods done.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!! H&H 9 months!!!

Everyone is mentioning bloods and HCG numbers but that's because so many of us are (were) working with an RE. They're the ones who do all those early tests and scans. Most regular OBs just wait until you're 8-10 weeks and then do a viability scan.

Congrats on your BFP!

Same here. They just did a pee test and had me wait until my 8 week scan.

Hello Everyone!

Question! So got my BFP last Friday, 10 DPO woo-hoo! :happydance:

I finally saw my primary care today (14 dpo) was so excited, but it was kind of disappointing because all they did was pee test. It confirmed I was pregnant, but then they said for anything else needed OBGYN (which is what I wanted to do in the first place, but insurance said I had to start here :dohh:)

So just made a call to OBGYN and it was kind of anti-climatic. They said my first appt wont be until 8-10 weeks (over one month from now) and that they don't do blood work. They consider the pee test confirmation. :shrug:

For the record, I'm in the Pacific Northwest in USA. It's one of the best OBGYNs in the area (I think, just moved here so I don't know, just going off reviews). :shrug:

I guess now I am worried that I am just going to be peeing on sticks for the next two months! I was hoping that blood work would help me relax, but now I have no idea what's going on... I feel pregnant (so hungry all the time! Gaining weight really quickly :wacko:) But I just wanted to be sure it's not ectopic or some other problem.

But has anyone else had this experience? Did it work out okay?

This is my first pregnancy, if that explains anything!

Thanks!

Hi! I'm also from the Pacific Northwest. :)
My OB doesn't want me to come in until I'm at least 10 weeks (so, I got my appointment for 10 + 2). To me it sounded like they were going to do literally everything at that appointment... they already know my blood type, but still need my blood for other things, which is good - I'll be able to see the HCG levels, although at this point in my pregnancy I think that HCG levels are already evening out.
They'll also be doing a dating ultrasound and a full-body physical... so lots of fun stuff.
It's awesome you got a positive on a doctor's pregnancy test, though. That means you have quite a high level already - I had an HCG of 48 in my blood and it still didn't show up positive on a pee stick at the doctors office.

Definitely watch your symptoms. If anything feels wrong, call your doctor. That's the best I can offer since this is my first pregnancy that's made as far as 9 weeks, so it's all new territory for me, now, too!

Same for me in the UK. They don't even do a urine test until 8 weeks. They say the home tests are accurate enough these days they don't need too! They did a blood test at 8 weeks but not for levels but to find out your blood group and to check iron stores etc. Then had a scan at 12 weeks.

Bloods seem way more common in the US. But again, perhaps these boards skew actual reality as there a lot of people with previous losses who have extra care early on.

Not at a lot you can do in the first 12 weeks really.. don't keep peeing on sticks, they are designed to tell you yes/no, not be an indicator of anything else like your levels! If you got a positive, you are pregnant! Try to carry on as normal and keep your fingers crossed you avoid the awful sickness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->