Documentaries

Porcelain

Reaction score
I'm watching documentaries on babies and deliveries. I'm glad I'm already pregnant because I'm pretty much petrified now. I'm pretty certain I don't want a hospital birth now (drugs and inducing and c-sections and holy cow!), but I'm pretty scared about having an at-home birth! Where's that stork???
How many of you guys are doing an at home birth and how many of you are going the hospital route? How many of you are using midwives? Can you use a midwife and a hospital? Are midwifes as costly as hospitals?
I have my first appointment May 8th in South Dakota (I get an ultra sound :)), but I'm moving to Texas late May and will probably meet midwives there. I'm excited to see ultra sounds and hearing heart beats, but don't want my baby to be forced out of me by a bunch of rushed men and women in white coats, either.
Also, the husband is going to be required to watch these documentaries. He scoffed when I asked if we should have a water birth. At this point, I'm feeling it's the only option. It's what the -baby- wants, I can feel it! lol

dont be scared of what doctors and midwives might do when your in labour these days they are very sensitive to your needs and wants during labour and will only do what you want them to and will only intervene with your permission or in an emergancy even then they need your permission so you will still be completely in control personally with your first child id recommend a hospital birth because theres alot of unknowns and its just nice to have everything there ready in case you need it but if your pregnancy isnt high risk then theres no reason why you cant have a home birth if thats what you want its a good idea to talk to your midwife and draw up a birth plan as you progress in your pregnancy stating exactly how you want it to be and barring no emergancies they will follow it x

also dont knock the drugs until your in labour lol cos you just never know how your gonna react alot of women that say they would never have any end up screaming an wantin everything under the sun an theres nothing wrong with that why suffer if u dont have to eh lol

dont be scared of what doctors and midwives might do when your in labour these days they are very sensitive to your needs and wants during labour and will only do what you want them to and will only intervene with your permission or in an emergancy even then they need your permission so you will still be completely in control personally with your first child id recommend a hospital birth because theres alot of unknowns and its just nice to have everything there ready in case you need it but if your pregnancy isnt high risk then theres no reason why you cant have a home birth if thats what you want its a good idea to talk to your midwife and draw up a birth plan as you progress in your pregnancy stating exactly how you want it to be and barring no emergancies they will follow it x

Wow, completely not my experience. I was lied to, mistreated and induced without consent. That was my last birth, my first left me with ptsd because of the treatment (or lack of) that I received. I haven't been put off labour or birth, but I have been put off hospitals and have very little trust in the midwives and hcps in general

First off it depends where you are, UK you will be under midwife care unless they think you should be under consultant care for a high risk pregnancy. If you are in the US it differs, some states have outlawed midwifery. You'd need to check your state law, your insurance and midwives in your area. My advice would be to stay away from over commercial birth programmes, YouTube is great for birth videos and has "the business of being born" on there which is a fantastic watch. Reaf, read, read! Ina Mays guide to child birth is full of fantastic positive birth stories.

I'm planning a homebirth and can't wait!

wow well can only go on my experiences maybe im just lucky as the midwives and hospital in my area is very good and ive always been treated extremely well

You watched The Business of Being Born huh? Lol, yeah after watching that I was gung ho on having a homebirth. But my insurance only covers hospital birth with a midwife. I thought about paying for it on my own but at $4000 I thought the money could be better spent on baby. I'm just going to make it extra clear of what my wants are and I am not going to let them bully me into getting drugs or a C-Section. I'm glad some ladies on here had nice experiences but that is not the norm. Hospitals want you in and out as quick as possible so they will pump you full of pitocin which makes contraction worse which makes you get an epidural and when combined with the pitocin puts stress on the baby which makes you have an "emergency" c-section.
No thank you - no spiraling interventions for me!

I personally believe it differs from hospital to hospital, even midwife to midwife. I was lucky I had fantastic midwifes take care I me during a very difficult time (my boy was still born) I had fantastic care leading to the birth also. My midwife even phoned to congratulate me and make sure I was ok when she got the referral through for this pregnancy. However I have a friend who had a very traumatic birth a the same hospital. I think it's something that is personal to each person. Hospital suits some people but not others. Perhaps you can visit your local hospital before you decide and see how you feel about staff, the environment etc. Midwifes appear to play a much more integral part of pregnancy and birth in the UK than US so I wouldn't like to comment on that part as I don't know about the US. Lol but I hope you find something that makes you feel at ease and safe :hugs:

I have had 3 wonderful hospital deliveries. The first I did no drugs and had no interventions. The second I had an epidural and it helped relax me and I dilated fast. Had no issues with the epidural at all. With my 3rd I got a spinal block and wish I hadn't, only because it kicked in all of 5 min before I delivered... If I would have known it was only 5 more min, I would have gone with out. But no issues with it at all. This time my plan is no drugs. I deliver pretty fast and easy so I have never needed any interventions. I have delivered in 3 different hospitals with 3 different Dr's and each time it didn't feel like a hospital experience. Each Dr was kind and used humor. I tend to leave the hospital as soon as I can also, so home by the latest the next day.

I think the most important thing is to establish care with a midwife or Obstetrician that you trust. There are tons of bad docs out there, but there are 5 good ones for every bad one. As a medical student I've been in on several births and have never seen anyone forced into anything (barring a true obstetrical emergency...the baby would not have made it in this situation if she were birthing outside of a hospital equipped to deal with sudden and unexpected emergencies).

If you decide to birth at home or in a hospital you should know all the risks and benefits. It's not enough to watch documentaries from either side, as they are almost always biased towards one side or the other. I've seen the business of being born and, while I'm sure this is how obstetrics is practiced in some places, it has NOT been my experience at all around here.

Again, the most important thing is finding an Ob/Gyn or midwife that you trust and who can answer the hard questions. Find someone interested in your birth plan, not someone who scoffs at it. Find someone who is willing to sit and talk with you and discuss your fears, concerns and worries.

I'm not sure what the above UK user is talking about, but there is no state in the US that outlaws midwifery. I think a few states have laws and restrictions against direct-entry midwifery, but no states completely outlaw midwives. Many hospitals and ob/gyn practices allow you to choose between a doctor and a midwife if you are a low-risk pregnancy. The most important thing is just to find someone who meets your needs and if they aren't meeting your needs to move on to someone else! This is your birth and you're allowed to make it go however you see fit, find someone who believes that, but who you trust enough to give the reigns over to should something unexpected occur.

My apologies I didn't have time to clarify and I was on my phone. This says it best
In 27 states it is legal to hire a direct-entry midwife, or certified professional midwife (CPM).[44] It is legal in all 50 states to hire a certified nurse midwife, or CNM, who are trained nurses, though this practice is rare as most CNMs work in hospitals.[44] Some CPMs continue to attend mothers in the 23 states where it is illegal, and can be arrested and prosecuted, while efforts are underway to change the law.[44]

Practising as a direct-entry midwife is still (as of May 2006) illegal under certain circumstances in Washington, D.C. and the following states: Alabama, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Dakota and Wyoming.[45] However, Certified Nurse Midwives can legally practise in these areas.

No state prosecutes mothers for giving birth outside a hospital.

From here

Hi,

A friend of mine was adamant that she wanted a home birth - it was to be a water birth (she had the birthing pool and everything).

Day of the birth comes and she tries her hardest to have a home birth but ended up in an ambulance being taken to hospital for an emergency c-section. Baby was fine at 9lb 15.5oz. They told her she was just too small to give birth to a baby that big.

Reason I'm saying this is that circumstances can change and you have to cater for those so your plans now may not be what happens in the end.

I've heard so many positive (and some negative) stories about hospital, birthing centre and home births that it comes down to individual preference. Don't let what they show on a tv programme influence your decision - sometimes they are going for the shock factor rather than what happens 80% of the time which is usually a good experience.

At the moment you have time to think about all the different methods and do your research. But it's your body and you'll know in due course which way you want to go.

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->